The ultimate question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 am
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:01 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:38 pm Got news for you, barring some miracle turnaround we aren’t going bowling this year.
We got handled by Wazzou and Mizzou, neither of which will finish at the top of their respective conferences.

BUT, that's really no different than what happened last year. Iowa and Oregon both embarassed us and neither of them finished at the top of their respective conferences.
No Josh Allen to bail out this offense.
This scares me WAY more than either of these two losses. Vigen hasn't faired well in Laramie without Josh Allen. Time to earn his money. If not, hopefully Bohl has the stones to make a move and I think he will. I can't imagine he's willing to go down with that sinking ship...
:rofl: that time has far past. Vigen has wasted 5 years here in Laramie making may hundreds of thousands of dollars., It's time for Vigen to LEAVE Laramie! He wasted Josh Allen. There are probably 40 HS coaches in Wyoming that could do a better job. And that's not an exaguration. (sorry Itsuckstobe, I'm not talking at you necessarily, I'm just ranting).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:14 pm
Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 pm The sheep have beaten 5 power five schools in the last 5 years and but haven't played in a conference championship game or even won a bowl game since 2013. I can't say I am jealous of them.
Playing in a conference championship game is a meaningless achievement unless you win it. They also haven’t suffered some of the many embarrassing losses we’ve had under Bohl. I’ll call it a wash.
I don't get this statement either. To play in the conference championship means that the conference season was at least good.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

IMO, I don't think that there is a really this or that to make a successful season. Generally, this team should be going to bowl games every year and Bohl has put us in that direction. That said, Joe Glenn teams would have played in more bowl games had they played in the current MWC versus the MWC during Glenn's tenure.

Another thing that goes overlooked is whether the players buy in to the program. They did not under DC. I do believe that the players generally trust Bohl and staff and play hard for them (similarly to Glenn). If I had to rank recent coaching staffs:
1) Joe Tiller
2) Craig Bohl
3) Joe Glenn
4) Dana Dimel
5) Dave Christensen
6) Vic Koenning
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am IMO, I don't think that there is a really this or that to make a successful season. Generally, this team should be going to bowl games every year and Bohl has put us in that direction. That said, Joe Glenn teams would have played in more bowl games had they played in the current MWC versus the MWC during Glenn's tenure.

Another thing that goes overlooked is whether the players buy in to the program. They did not under DC. I do believe that the players generally trust Bohl and staff and play hard for them (similarly to Glenn). If I had to rank recent coaching staffs:
1) Joe Tiller
2) Craig Bohl
3) Joe Glenn
4) Dana Dimel
5) Dave Christensen
6) Vic Koenning
Dana Dimel May be a douche and whatever else you want to say, but he went 22-13 at Wyoming, or a 57% winning record. Bohl Christensen and Glenn are all at about 40%. I don’t see how you can objectively rank Bohl ahead unless you start to try to account for how well liked a coach is, which doesn’t mean squat for me.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am IMO, I don't think that there is a really this or that to make a successful season. Generally, this team should be going to bowl games every year and Bohl has put us in that direction. That said, Joe Glenn teams would have played in more bowl games had they played in the current MWC versus the MWC during Glenn's tenure.

1) Joe Tiller
2) Craig Bohl
3) Joe Glenn
4) Dana Dimel
5) Dave Christensen
6) Vic Koenning
Dana Dimel May be a douche and whatever else you want to say, but he went 22-13 at Wyoming, or a 57% winning record. Bohl Christensen and Glenn are all at about 40%. I don’t see how you can objectively rank Bohl ahead unless you start to try to account for how well liked a coach is, which doesn’t mean squat for me.
Dimel inherited a good program and left it in shambles IMO.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I think I'd rather be in contention for the CCG each year. That would mean that we are getting good results against the teams that we play year in and year out. The OOC opponents change essentially every year.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:11 am
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 am
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:01 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:38 pm Got news for you, barring some miracle turnaround we aren’t going bowling this year.
We got handled by Wazzou and Mizzou, neither of which will finish at the top of their respective conferences.

BUT, that's really no different than what happened last year. Iowa and Oregon both embarassed us and neither of them finished at the top of their respective conferences.
No Josh Allen to bail out this offense.
This scares me WAY more than either of these two losses. Vigen hasn't faired well in Laramie without Josh Allen. Time to earn his money. If not, hopefully Bohl has the stones to make a move and I think he will. I can't imagine he's willing to go down with that sinking ship...
:rofl: that time has far past. Vigen has wasted 5 years here in Laramie making may hundreds of thousands of dollars., It's time for Vigen to LEAVE Laramie! He wasted Josh Allen. There are probably 40 HS coaches in Wyoming that could do a better job. And that's not an exaguration. (sorry Itsuckstobe, I'm not talking at you necessarily, I'm just ranting).
Haha no worries.

Im right there with you. I have been as vocal as any that Vigen is steaming garbage. I think, as overdue as it is, Bohl may be getting to the "poop or get off the pot" moment with Vigen. We can hope
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Speaking of ole Dimel, he's 0-2 as UTEP's HC right now. His team has blowout losses to both Northern Arizona and to UNLV. Next game: @ Tennessee. Karma perhaps?

Incidentally he did eventually marry that bar waitress he had "fun" with back in the summer of 1997.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Why was Dimel hated so much? Will never forget seeing grown men with their kids yelling the foulest language and fans throwing bottles/sodas from the stands and hitting players after CSU game in '99. To this day I do not understand why. I get having high expectations and being upset but why so much hate for the guy?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

BJC wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm Why was Dimel hated so much? Will never forget seeing grown men with their kids yelling the foulest language and fans throwing bottles/sodas from the stands and hitting players after CSU game in '99. To this day I do not understand why. I get having high expectations and being upset but why so much hate for the guy?
Just my $0.02 here but a lot of it was that he cheated on his wife at the time (1997) while she was still in Manhatten, Kansas trying to sell off their house there.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times

Going to a bowl game every 1 -3 years with that stellar season every 8-10 years that we might be in a NewYears 6 game, but wait i'm in Wyoming so I guess the every 3 years after all We are Wyoming and medocrity
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Pokesfab 24-7 is on it
W-Y, Until I Die!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

stymeman wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:36 pm Going to a bowl game every 1 -3 years with that stellar season every 8-10 years that we might be in a NewYears 6 game, but wait i'm in Wyoming so I guess the every 3 years after all We are Wyoming and medocrity
Mediocrity is oddly palatable after the last few decades
W-Y, Until I Die!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BJC wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:51 pm Why was Dimel hated so much? Will never forget seeing grown men with their kids yelling the foulest language and fans throwing bottles/sodas from the stands and hitting players after CSU game in '99. To this day I do not understand why. I get having high expectations and being upset but why so much hate for the guy?
He single handedly tried to torpedo Wyoming on his way out...
BJC
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:26 pm
He single handedly tried to torpedo Wyoming on his way out...
Please explain.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

In response to the original question. Glenn had a couple wins over P5 schools, but he had plenty of blowout losses as well. Only 1 winning season, and only 1 season with a winning conference record. Yes, the MWC was better back then, but he does NOT have 2 wins over ranked teams like Bohl. Glenn's best vs ranked teams was the 14-32 loss at Florida.

I'd take Bohl in a heartbeat. Winning seasons. Conference contender. Has beaten ranked teams. P5 wins will come.

I really liked Glenn, just wish he had more success while he was here.

Bohl. No debate, not even close.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Fullback41 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm In response to the original question. Glenn had a couple wins over P5 schools, but he had plenty of blowout losses as well. Only 1 winning season, and only 1 season with a winning conference record. Yes, the MWC was better back then, but he does NOT have 2 wins over ranked teams like Bohl. Glenn's best vs ranked teams was the 14-32 loss at Florida.

I'd take Bohl in a heartbeat. Winning seasons. Conference contender. Has beaten ranked teams. P5 wins will come.

+1
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Fullback41 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:03 pm In response to the original question. Glenn had a couple wins over P5 schools, but he had plenty of blowout losses as well. Only 1 winning season, and only 1 season with a winning conference record. Yes, the MWC was better back then, but he does NOT have 2 wins over ranked teams like Bohl. Glenn's best vs ranked teams was the 14-32 loss at Florida.

And the only reason Bohl has multiple winning seasons is the MW is dog crap now. Last years team would not have gotten to 6 wins in the old MW.

It is actually very close between them, which is why the comparison is surfacing more and more these days.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Well if it never gets turned around we can always have Dimmel be head coach...Koening the d-coord...Dave the o coordinator. And leave recruiting to Dennis Erickson. Haha
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Glenn never beat a good team.

MWC is weaker now, but at least Bohl has beaten good teams.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!