Love Bohl, but...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:42 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:32 pm Eerily similar to Glenn. Actually, Glenn's Vegas Bowl team is the best of both coaches so far.

We need to let this ride a few years but Bohl (mainly Vigen) is on notice. Glenn waited on Cockhill too.
I think the difference between the two is that Glenn followed up the Vegas Bowl with a 4-win season while Bohl followed up the MWC title game appearance with an 8-win season. There's something to be said for sustaining success. Continuously taking a significant step back after one good year is what's plagued most previous Wyoming coaches. The jury is still out on this year, but I believe we can be right back at 7 or 8 wins again this year. A 7-win season would give the program its best 3-year stretch by one head coach since the Roach era. If that puts the coach on notice, it perfectly explains why the program has gotten to where it is. It's very difficult to sustain a successful program if you keep firing coaches every couple seasons.
Alright, this narrative has to be called what it is, horse crap. Again, I like Bohl, but this nonsense of the best stretch ever is just that, nonsense. Glenn would have been 4-1 against Bohl. If we dropped to FCS, we could have the greatest stretch in WYO history, but that doesn't mean it would be the best teams. Glenn's MWC was a short step behind the P5 which is why he competed with the P5 at times. Bohl's MWC is light years away from the P5.

Bohl would have had 1 bowl eligible team in the MWC of old. I get that you are a fan of the name on an office door, but for many of us, WYO football is much more than the past 4 years.

I really like Bohl, and think he has done good things. Outside of BSU, we should compete against other crappy MWC teams. All I'm saying is that so far, he isn't better than Glenn and Bohl needs to evaluate his O. If he can't have full access to plays in his playbook after 5 years, that's a problem. Hence, Vigen should be on notice. Having nearly the worst offense in FBS 2 years running is unacceptable in most programs, especially when playing against defenses in a mostly weak conference.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:28 am
kansasCowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:47 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.
You are right this isn’t NDSU....NDSU beats P5 schools on a regular basis.

He beat P5 schools at NDSU using that exact same offense.

It’s just that you are Wyoming....
Maybe so... but Bohl and NDSU also lost to a 4-8 Wyo team 16-13 during that span. Don’t come on here and be a douche.
Right and that and a subsequent year were teams decimated by injuries.

Not being a douche. Just saying Bohl has better teams at NDSU.

But you guys, like so many FBS teams, just don’t get it....
No you’re being a douche and obviously recognized you were too to point it out.

“It’s just that you are Wyoming.” WTF is that even supposed to mean coming from a North Dakota guy.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:21 pm His offense only works when you’re bigger, faster, stronger. This isn’t North Dakota St. The offensive line and backs aren’t good enough to run a pro style ground and pound.

Maybe so... but Bohl and NDSU also lost to a 4-8 Wyo team 16-13 during that span. Don’t come on here and be a douche.

Not really. It is sort of like BSU, they can beat top teams but in a full SEC schedule, they'd drop some games.

Look at the teams you lost to in those years. South Dakota State, James Madison, Montana, South Dakota, etc.

Those are losses that get coaches fired in the MWC.

NDSU would be a middle of the pack MWC team at best. It would be interesting after time, though. Would recruiting pick up enough to build a g5 power or would recruiting fall off and NDSU struggle? Really good program and sustained success like that at any level is admirable.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Bison you’re not going to get many on this board to admit they rather have a dominant FCS team than a sometimes middling, mostly awful FBS team. I already died on that hill.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:18 am
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:15 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:49 pm

He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
NDSU over the last 8 years would finish in the bottom half of the MWC. Just like when Boise St. came over from the WAC they thought they would dominate the MWC and it took them awhile before they even won a championship. NDSU is nowhere near Boise St's level now or at that time.
and we are???
Not sure why you are even quoting me. You are talking about something completely different. My response was to him thinking NDSU would join the MWC and be a front runner every year. Which they wouldn't.
I never said Wyoming was on Boise's level. So again why are you quoting me?

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 am Bison you’re not going to get many on this board to admit they rather have a dominant FCS team than a sometimes middling, mostly awful FBS team. I already died on that hill.
Check out how swell Idaho’s move to FCS is going. They had a huge home opener against the powerhouse known as Western New Mexico and shockingly they had their worst attendance in decades.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 am
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:48 am Bison you’re not going to get many on this board to admit they rather have a dominant FCS team than a sometimes middling, mostly awful FBS team. I already died on that hill.
Check out how swell Idaho’s move to FCS is going. They had a huge home opener against the powerhouse known as Western New Mexico and shockingly they had their worst attendance in decades.
Scored 56 points and won. Pokes may not get to 56 points total until October.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Well..the sun came up this morning. Last night's loss stung pretty bad for some reason...probably because of the one-sided nature of it.

Just wanted to clarify a few things...When comparing teams across eras or divisions you can only compare them in the settings that they are competing in. FCS is not "big time" in the sense of straight up competition but if that is the only lens that is viewed through your missing out on something. Does competing in Women's basketball against "inferior" athleticism diminish what UCONN's women's team has done? Does the fact that Wilt Chamberlain dominated an objectively less talented NBA mean that his accomplishments are somehow less than a great modern players accomplishments? Greatness gets imitated to the point that, somewhere down the line, the original accomplishment looks a little mundane. Look at the original X-game guys with skateboarding and biking...13-14 year old kids are now doing what the guys at the cutting edge of the sport were doing back then...does not mean those guys weren't great.

To say that just because the Bison are dominating a "lesser" division means that there is no value to the methods used to achieve it is missing something important. I think there are things going on in Fargo that poor performing teams in other divisions...heck even other sports could emulate that have nothing to do with play-calling and recruiting. It's about a culture of success and excellence that is not present at UW. (I'm still very hopeful that Bohl is the guy to change that though)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm

He beat horrible P5 teams at NDSU. He only beat one half decent team there. The rest were really bad teams. NDSU would have a losing record if they played an FBS schedule. He also lost to Wyoming while at NDSU.
Ha when is the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school? Terrible or not? NDSU doesn’t even play an FBS schedule, yet they have beat 5 this decade alone.

You put any NDSU team over the last 8 years I’m the MW and they are a contender if not a front runner.
Well ... He's not wrong. ;)
Yeah he is. Look at NDSU losses over those years.
I'm confused ... is your contention that NDSU is an under-achieving program? The question of whether or not Bohl is a good coach isn't in doubt...he's got a pedigree and still hasn't gotten it done at WYO (Still a chance here for that to change).

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

If your trying to convince me that what is going on at NDSU is a fluke you are sadly misinformed....and I'm beginning to think that what is happening at Wyoming is not a fluke either :cry:
NDSU in MWC would be equal to or less than WYO in MWC.
Ya you are delusional....

NDSU is very much likely a top 25 college football team this year, and really have been for many years. I know that’s hard for you to wrap your head around but any credible person would tell you that. Bohl had success because he was at one of the very best programs in college football.

It’s not Bohl. It’s not the offense......it’s the fact he is in Wyoming. I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: holy cow. you are mentally handicapped
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Well ... He's not wrong. ;)
Yeah he is. Look at NDSU losses over those years.
I'm confused ... is your contention that NDSU is an under-achieving program? The question of whether or not Bohl is a good coach isn't in doubt...he's got a pedigree and still hasn't gotten it done at WYO (Still a chance here for that to change).

NDSU past 8 years:

14-1
12-2
13-2
15-1
15-0
14-1
14-1
9-5

If your trying to convince me that what is going on at NDSU is a fluke you are sadly misinformed....and I'm beginning to think that what is happening at Wyoming is not a fluke either :cry:
NDSU in MWC would be equal to or less than WYO in MWC.
Ya you are delusional....

NDSU is very much likely a top 25 college football team this year, and really have been for many years. I know that’s hard for you to wrap your head around but any credible person would tell you that. Bohl had success because he was at one of the very best programs in college football.

It’s not Bohl. It’s not the offense......it’s the fact he is in Wyoming. I guarantee you if he’s coaching this year’s NDSU team, he isn’t losing to Missouri.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: holy cow. you are mentally handicapped
I know right? And the comment that this years NDSU team would beat MIssouri? Missouri will probably finish 8-4 or 9-3 in the SEC. Sorry but as good as NDSU has been for FCS there is no way in hell they are beating middle to top half SEC teams on the road.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

J-Rod wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:27 pm It's put up or shut up time. After Wofford, the BSU, UH, FSU stretch is as brutal as it gets when it comes to current Mountain West form. Buck up or brace for a 2-5 start.
I would extend that stretch another 2 weeks. Utah St has looked really tough so far and CSU showed some life last night coming back on Arkansas. CSU won't be easy down there. We could realistically be looking at a 3-6 start.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

If you thought we would walk into Missouri without Evans and win you were staring at things through your brown and gold glasses.

I don't know what Missouri's record will be, but we won't play a better QB all year. Guaranteed. He will be a first round draft pick and actually have the stats to back it up. I'm just as dismayed by the last two weeks as everyone here but ultimately nothing changes. Someone else said it best: thinking about it objectively and honestly, Wyoming was going to start this season 1-2. A conference title is the next step and beating good p5 team probably comes after that, if ever.

If Bohl is worth his salary he will put these two weeks behind this team. The two concerning things are injuries and the lack of a killer instinct from our QB. I've said over and over that last year our defense doesn't get us wins against CSU, Utah State or Hawaii. And this year will be much the same. If we win those games it will be because Vander Waal makes throws in big moments. And that we have not seen yet.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 am
Guy, you just don't get it. A mediocre FBS University of Wyoming will get more donor support than a winning FCS one. Analyses have shown that the only practical alternative to an FBS program is the elimination of football altogether.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Just pick some D2 and FCS teams to be a fan of and stop following the Pokes. You will apparently be happy that way.

Other teams in the murderer’s row to score 56 points or more against Western New Mexico in recent years: Midwestern State, New Mexico Highlands, Colorado School of Mines, Tarleton State, Angelo State and Adams State.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:17 am

Not really. It is sort of like BSU, they can beat top teams but in a full SEC schedule, they'd drop some games.

Look at the teams you lost to in those years. South Dakota State, James Madison, Montana, South Dakota, etc.

Those are losses that get coaches fired in the MWC.

NDSU would be a middle of the pack MWC team at best. It would be interesting after time, though. Would recruiting pick up enough to build a g5 power or would recruiting fall off and NDSU struggle? Really good program and sustained success like that at any level is admirable.
I honestly think you guys might be one of the most uneducated fan bases in college football...that or you are clearly oblivious to watching the game of football.

Go look up the sagarin ratings for the MVFC last year. It was a higher rated conference than the MW for a very good portion of the year, and by end of the year ranked dam near even. In 2016, it ranked higher. In terms of competitiveness, it is dam near equal. NDSU, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, hell even dumpster fire YSU.....they have ALL beat P5 schools in recent years. Again, please tell me the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school?

USD is a very middle of the road MVFC team and they dam near beat K State last week......that’s how tough that conference is.

Bohl is trying to win in an impossible situation. You guys will catch lightning in a bottle every few years, but that doesn’t change the fact that Laramie Wyoming is an incredibly tough place to recruit players to. poop, Bohl routinely still tries to go into Minnesota/Wisconsin to recruit, and 9 times out of 10 NDSU has been getting those recruits.
Last edited by 2011BisonAlumni on Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

What an argument...how about their 79-13 loss to Fresno?
Yeah, let’s enjoy the blowouts of Western New Mexico’s and get blown out by a top MWC team...

Wait, didn’t we only lose to Fresno 10-7 last year?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 pm I honestly think you guys might be one of the most uneducated fan bases in college football...that or you are clearly oblivious to watching the game of football.

Go look up the sagarin ratings for the MVFC last year. It was a higher rated conference than the MW for a very good portion of the year, and by end of the year ranked dam near even. In 2016, it ranked higher. In terms of competitiveness, it is dam near equal. NDSU, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, hell even dumpster fire YSU.....they have ALL beat P5 schools in recent years. Again, please tell me the last time Wyoming beat a P5 school?

USD is a very middle of the road MVFC team and they dam near beat K State last week......that’s how tough that conference is.

Boho is trying to win in an impossible situation. You guys will catch lightning in a bottle every few years, but that doesn’t change the fact that Laramie Wyoming is an incredibly tough place to recruit players to. poop, Bohl routinely still tries to go into Minnesota/Wisconsin to recruit, and 9 times out of 10 NDSU has been getting those recruits.
Yea, the Missouri Valley Conference is somewhere between the SEC and the AFC West. Everyone is dying to move to Fargo. Vacation capital of the US. Now get lost.
2011BisonAlumni
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:14 pm
2011BisonAlumni wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:10 pm I honestly think you guys might be one of the most uneducated fan bases in college football...that or you are clearly oblivious to watching the game of football.

Boho is trying to win in an impossible situation. You guys will catch lightning in a bottle every few years, but that doesn’t change the fact that Laramie Wyoming is an incredibly tough place to recruit players to. poop, Bohl routinely still tries to go into Minnesota/Wisconsin to recruit, and 9 times out of 10 NDSU has been getting those recruits.
Yea, the Missouri Valley Conference is somewhere between the SEC and the AFC West. Everyone is dying to move to Fargo. Vacation capital of the US. Now get lost.
Go look up the Sagarin ratings....they are the closest predictor out there. There is a reason why Vegas uses it.

Something I guess. NDSU routinely beats Wyoming for recruits. College football players usually prefer to play for winning teams and be in a city with something to do. Laramie is a nice town, but it is boring as f-word.

Honestly I hope you do fire Bohl. It’s always something to blame for you guys. Never so you just look at yourself in the mirror and say “This is Laramie Wyoming and we are trying to compete on the FBS”.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Vigen & Bohl must be joined at the hip. It is problematic in year 5, that we have huge limitations in personnel and talent on the scoring side of the ball. Seems to me with the suceess our defense has experienced (not withstanding last 2 weeks) and the hiring of Scotty, Bohl hasn’t let Vigen go.

I admire loyalty, and we need continuity at UW. Yet a good CEO cuts his losses and rights the company outside of loyalty and friendship. We have not gotten the “right kids” on this offense. Seriosly Craig, we need change or whatever we’ve accomplished will come to a grinding halt if you lose the confidence of those whom look to you for the leadership you’ve forged in your 40 years of football experience.

Maybe its not now, but we can’t expect to get out of the football purgatory in offense production without some serious moves in recruiting, planning, and playbook development. I could give a poop about NDSU or Joe Glenn or Wyo history, and previous records. Lets get the Coach’s and schemes that will win the MWC. The rest will take care of itself. Just take care of Wyoming Football in 2018.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
coantag_creek_poke
Buckaroo

Joe Glenn couldn’t hold Craig Bohls jock. That comparison is honestly idiotic.