Missouri Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
jtstu53
Buckaroo

Not sure if any of you have been keeping an eye on the weather, but looks like the remnants of tropical storm Gordon will be over Missouri Saturday. Could make for a sloppy field and favor the ground game. Just some food for thought.
Show Me State
Buckaroo

Yeah. Really hoping the track and timing of Gordon changes before Saturday evening. We are still pretty far out, but it looks like the heavier rain will be Friday evening into Saturday. Hopefully the heavy rain will be out of Mid-Missouri by kickoff, though there is a greater chance of thunderstorms in the evening.

I am excited for the game. I watched the New Mexico State game but did not see the Wazzu game since the Mizzou/UT-Martin game was at roughly the same time. We really didn't learn much from our FCS game, it was never really in doubt. I am particularly curious about how the Wyoming D will match up against our offense. If there is heavy rain, that could improve the chances of an upset.

If anyone is making the trip and wants to know more about Columbia or the campus, let me know. I am excited about making the return trip myself to Laramie in 2019.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

I hope it rains like a mother f-word. All game. That way, we won't get beat 77 - 5, more likely to be 35 - 5. That, and we won't be able to see the traditional "piss down the leg" effect.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Let's all hope for a downpour. We may have a chance (slight as it may be).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Yes. Let it pour. It's our only hope to keep it semi-close. our 145 yards of offense won't look so bad.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

I hope it stays dry over my seat at least :) let it rain buckets all over the field if it'll help us win though!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

What got lost in the offense's crap fest was that the DL struggled to get pressure on Wazzu's QB, a rather unexpected development. The offense being blah again won't be a stunner, but my hope is that the defense bounces back and reclaims that "dominant" title. Vigen stinking it up is par for the course, but dammit I expected more from the DL.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I just don't feel like there is too much of a "buzz" for this game. Playing two P5 schools is a row is pretty daunting for this program. I think there would be more excitement if we were playing a Toledo or Northern Illinois type of program. Let's hope we can pull off a shocker!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

48-9 Mizzou
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Give me 48-9 Mizzou if Nico doesn't play.
48-16 if he does.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I think Nico just got downgraded to doubtful. Dang. Might as well get him healthy for the conference season
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

26-12 Missouri. People are underestimating the Wyoming defense.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 am 26-12 Missouri. People are underestimating the Wyoming defense.
Doesn’t matter how good our defense is, if our offense barely manages 140 yards of offense the defense will wear down. They also didn’t get to the QB much last week, which doesn’t bode well against this team and their Heisman QB.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Just hoping they come away with no injuries. Not a game you want to be playing after being exposed against Wazzu. Would much prefer the Wofford game being this week to help regroup.
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 119 times

J-Rod wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm What got lost in the offense's crap fest was that the DL struggled to get pressure on Wazzu's QB, a rather unexpected development. The offense being blah again won't be a stunner, but my hope is that the defense bounces back and reclaims that "dominant" title. Vigen stinking it up is par for the course, but dammit I expected more from the DL.
You have a point, but when the D was on the field virtually all of the second half - they tired and started to make stupid mistakes. I put that on the offense more than the defense. TOP doesn't show the whole story, but I would guess WSU had 20+ of the 30 in the second half.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Show Me State
Buckaroo

Looks like the forecast is improving slightly. However, rain or no rain, I am concerned about a Coach Bohl team coming off of a game like Wazzu. I think he will have your team's attention all week. The atmosphere will not be very daunting with the weather (and minus any seating in one endzone due to construction). Mizzou fans are still anticipating a tough game.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Show Me State wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 am Mizzou fans are still anticipating a tough game.
Looking around on other boards, I'm surprised at how humble Mizzou fans are acting compared to those of many other P5 teams. I'd get the cautious concern if we were a team like Boise who's become known for making life miserable for P5 teams over the past decade, but... that's not us, at least not yet.
Show Me State
Buckaroo

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am Looking around on other boards, I'm surprised at how humble Mizzou fans are acting compared to those of many other P5 teams. I'd get the cautious concern if we were a team like Boise who's become known for making life miserable for P5 teams over the past decade, but... that's not us, at least not yet.
Many of us remember all of the success that Coach Bohl had at NDSU in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. But also we have had some clunkers in recent years. In 2014 we had a team that won the SEC East, won 11 games and Citrus Bowl, but lost to a pedestrian Indiana team early on. In 2016 we lost at home to Middle Tennessee State. And last year, we surrendered 43 points to an FCS school (Missouri State). We scored 72 but still.

A lot of Mizzou fans followed Wyoming pretty closely when Dave Christensen got the job. I remember being at a Mizzou basketball game in December of 2009 and they announced the final score of the New Mexico Bowl and there was a nice ovation. Weirdly enough, Austyn Carta-Samuels is an offensive analyst at Mizzou now.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Show Me State wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:07 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:15 am Looking around on other boards, I'm surprised at how humble Mizzou fans are acting compared to those of many other P5 teams. I'd get the cautious concern if we were a team like Boise who's become known for making life miserable for P5 teams over the past decade, but... that's not us, at least not yet.
Many of us remember all of the success that Coach Bohl had at NDSU in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. But also we have had some clunkers in recent years. In 2014 we had a team that won the SEC East, won 11 games and Citrus Bowl, but lost to a pedestrian Indiana team early on. In 2016 we lost at home to Middle Tennessee State. And last year, we surrendered 43 points to an FCS school (Missouri State). We scored 72 but still.

A lot of Mizzou fans followed Wyoming pretty closely when Dave Christensen got the job. I remember being at a Mizzou basketball game in December of 2009 and they announced the final score of the New Mexico Bowl and there was a nice ovation. Weirdly enough, Austyn Carta-Samuels is an offensive analyst at Mizzou now.
I always wondered why it seemed like Christensen was so liked at Missouri. Quite frankly, he was a big jerk at Wyoming to players and boosters alike. I think having Chase Daniel, Jeremy Maclin and Chase Coffman had more to do with the success at Missouri than him. It was so strange when he was the Wyoming head coach and then was on the sideline for the Missouri bowl game, that never sat right with me.
Show Me State
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:30 am I always wondered why it seemed like Christensen was so liked at Missouri. Quite frankly, he was a big jerk at Wyoming to players and boosters alike. I think having Chase Daniel, Jeremy Maclin and Chase Coffman had more to do with the success at Missouri than him. It was so strange when he was the Wyoming head coach and then was on the sideline for the Missouri bowl game, that never sat right with me.
I can't say I disagree. DC had some great offenses at Mizzou and he was kind of thought to be Gary Pinkel's likely successor. Pinkel's staff had a crazy lack of turnover, the entire coaching staff remained intact from the time he took the job in 2001 to when DC left in 2008. We thought he would do great things at Wyoming. But he had a much different personality than Don James/Gary Pinkel and he did not make a lot of friends. You all know more about that part than I do. He was a better offensive coordinator than head coach.