Wazzu predictions, were a day away!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I think Wyoming proves it's for real and holds the Cougs scoreless for the first quarter causing the to press more as the game wears on. With them starting to press running lanes open and their qb starts taking risks.

We get 2 turnovers, 210 rushing yards, and 200 passing yards and a TD from VanderWahl.

Wyoming wins 30-20
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Defensive touchdown gets the Pokes over the top, 26-21 good guys.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

All WYO NATION POSTERS are welcome at the Cowboys in Colorado TAILGATE. Look for the CIC flag. We are just behind the east stands on TAILGATE alley. Spaces 39 to 41.
Blacktooth Brewery sponsoring the beer. Bring your family and friends.

Go Pokes.
Washington State has no idea of the beatdown to soon occur. POKES 27 wsu 18
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

20-10 Pokes. Offense does enough but isn't perfect, defense embarrasses a green Wazzu offense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Pokes 27-21. Let's go!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Love the optimism! Hope you’re all right. Been a Poke fan too long to share that optimism at this point. Had my optimism dashed too many times. I’ll be watching and will be thrilled if your predictions come true.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I woke up this morning and the was a strange smell, it took me a while too place the scent .. but it's definitely a shutout on the wind
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 pm Been a Poke fan too long to share that optimism at this point. Had my optimism dashed too many times.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I have a really hard time believing we'll be able to dominate them at the line of scrimmage. I could see our defense holding them to under 30 points, but offensively, I remember so many games like the Iowa one where I thought we'd be able to score a decent amount, only to get completely owned by their "okay by P5 standards" defense.

My heart says we win 16-10. My brain says the score ends up being 10-31. Our defense is good, but I'm afraid it'll get exhausted.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Wyoming 17 - Washington State - 15

Defensive battle. I don't see Washington with the ability to move the ball well at all. I don't see Wyoming with the ability to move the ball at all. Field position and turnovers will decide this outcome. I believe the Wyoming offense will score points and the Wyoming defense will account for the other touchdown.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm

My heart says we win 16-10. My brain says the score ends up being 10-31. Our defense is good, but I'm afraid it'll get exhausted.
:? The defense is as deep as it has ever been since I have followed the Pokes. I don't see the defense as ever 'getting tired' and I think it comes down to whether WSU can scheme around the Pokes' defense.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm
ZapPoke wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:33 pm Been a Poke fan too long to share that optimism at this point. Had my optimism dashed too many times.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel. I have a really hard time believing we'll be able to dominate them at the line of scrimmage. I could see our defense holding them to under 30 points, but offensively, I remember so many games like the Iowa one where I thought we'd be able to score a decent amount, only to get completely owned by their "okay by P5 standards" defense.

Part of my optimism stems from believing Wazzu is just not very good right now. I genuinely believe there might be 3-5 opponents on the schedule tougher than this team. They're replacing a lot of key talent and the Pirate has a history of struggling out of the gate. If this game were in October, I'd be a bit more concerned...but the positioning of this matchup is perfect for Bohl and co.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

I think it will come down to 3 issues: whether our D gives up big plays, whether our O line blocks well enough to finish drives, and turnovers. Our D should be more than competitive, and maybe just shy of decisive, but wsu's oline might be good enough for quick strikes/long passes. Our O line needs to beat their young, green Dline, but I don't know that we will.
I think we maintain composure and win turnovers, and win 21 to 13.
aranderson
Cowpoke

I understand everyone's tempered optimism, however in the 26 or so years I've followed and or been a part of the cowboy family, I was only born in 1988, every time I've seen us falter it's been due to an over reliance on the offense. We falter when the offense can't make up for the defenses shortcomings. Well now we have an extremely capable defense to go along with what appears for now to be a serviceable/borderline decent offense once all the pages of the playbook are put to good use we will know more of course.

But don't short change the 2018 version because of the 2012 or 2013 or whatever seasons your wanting to circle as your letdown. We have a high caliber defense and I for one am drinking the koolaid. WSUs defense will not be the toughest we face nor will their offense. Those titles go to Boise for defense, and Mizzou for offense. I for one see big things from this team, and a borderline 8-10 win season.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

I think it will be a good game. Washington St. Will be able to pass against our defense. They have played against better defenses than Wyoming's before and still put up passing yards. Washington's defense under Peterson the last couple years is better than this Wyoming defense and WSU still passed on them.
What Washington did do is totally shut down their running game and that is what Wyoming needs to do.
If Wyoming does that and is able to run the ball themselves Wyoming will win the game.

WSU has their best core of receivers since Leach has been there and their QB will be good. He isn't horrible. I don't think the Cougars d line is very good coming into this year.
Think Wyoming does just enough to control the clock and wins this game 24-17.

Hope we win by more but that is my realistic view.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

While TVW didn't connect on some key passes last week, I don't remember him ever putting a ball in a dangerous position where there could have been a possible INT. If he keeps making safe throws we should be OK this week. I think if we gift WSU with a short field to work with then we could be in trouble. Our D is solid but WSU will definitely get some points if they consistently get good field position.

I think WSU defense will stack the box and blitz some to try and stop our run game. It's a lot to ask for a freshman QB but I think TVW could lead us to a big win if he can play it safe and find the gaps in their coverage.

On the flip side, it would be huge if our D could get away with only rushing 4 guys. Having 7 guys in coverage will hopefully take away the quick throws and put their new QB into some tough situations -- either forcing throws into coverage or holding onto the ball too long where Granderson and Ghaifan can smother him
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:41 pm :? The defense is as deep as it has ever been since I have followed the Pokes. I don't see the defense as ever 'getting tired' and I think it comes down to whether WSU can scheme around the Pokes' defense.
Remember what Oregon did to us last year? Yes, the core of our defense is a year older and more experienced, but they were very good then too.

If our offense goes three and out on every possession because we can't run the ball well enough, our defense could definitely end up sucking air.

I'll be more optimistic when we finally get a P5 win under Bohl. I'm not saying it's impossible for us to win - just that I've been let down every other time I've started hoping that we're for real. I do think playing last week is actually a card in our favor, though. Wazzu did not have that opportunity to try things out against another team.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I think it's going to be a close game, decided by less than a touchdown. I currently would have WSU eeking out the win, but hope to be wrong.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

cali2wyo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:46 pm While TVW didn't connect on some key passes last week, I don't remember him ever putting a ball in a dangerous position where there could have been a possible INT. If he keeps making safe throws we should be OK this week. I think if we gift WSU with a short field to work with then we could be in trouble. Our D is solid but WSU will definitely get some points if they consistently get good field position.

I think WSU defense will stack the box and blitz some to try and stop our run game. It's a lot to ask for a freshman QB but I think TVW could lead us to a big win if he can play it safe and find the gaps in their coverage.

On the flip side, it would be huge if our D could get away with only rushing 4 guys. Having 7 guys in coverage will hopefully take away the quick throws and put their new QB into some tough situations -- either forcing throws into coverage or holding onto the ball too long where Granderson and Ghaifan can smother him
I agree. If their QB holds onto the ball for too long he will get sacked. I've never been more confident about our ability to rush the passer. Hopefully they don't shred us on those dink and dunk quick short passes. If they do win that's how they will do it. dink us to death. They won't have time to throw long routes
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

IIRC, there was one throw slightly behind a receiver that tipped off their hands and was interceptable, but no Aggies got within two yards of the ball. That was the only dangerous pass I recall from TVW. Nothing most QBs don't go through every game.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I'm not making a prediction on this game....but man would I love to see us finally beat a P5 team.