The BYU Hatred

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This is not a poop post, I am looking for honest, level headed commentary here. If the first thought here is f*ck Burman, or f*ck BYU, please go somewhere else. And no, I am not a closet BYU fan, I am not mormon. I am a UW fan through and through. I am a rabid hater of CSU, had this topic been about them, I would get it. I just don't get it about BYU.

If memory serves correctly, the announcement that BYU was leaving the MWC came while I was on a deployment to Afghanistan in late 2009/early 2010. Obviously, I had other things requiring my immediate attention. Looking back, I can't tell you where the animosity for BYU comes from. Utah left the same time but this board doesn't seem to hate the Utes like the Cougs.

Can anyone shine some light on this anger, the hurt, the frustration?

I come to this with an understanding that in college football national exposure is the name of the game. Get your name on ESPN, on ABC, on NBC, anywhere you can. The more you can, more you make. I get that.

Just because it hasn't worked for BYU doesnt mean they didnt view their jump to independence as a better opportunity for their "slice of the pie" so to speak. Any team in the G5 would make the same decision in a second if they truly believed it was an in to the P5 or national relevance.

As for the stabbing the MWC (and Wyoming specifically) in the back, is there a clause in these contracts that a team has to make decisions based on what benefits the conference? Are there buyout fees? Early termination fees? Teams leave conferences all the time for greener pastures yet few seem to get the ridicule and ire that BYU has gotten. BSU and SDSU tried with everything in their power to leave yet the conference welcomed them back and few on this board even seem to care. Why the double standard? IS there really a difference or is it just heart burn?

I am curious. Again, I am not looking for fights or name calling or any of that. Looking for history.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Did you really need to start a whole new thread for the exact same topic being discussed in the previous thread? Various posters gave you their responses. Apparently not satisfied with the responses we now have another thread.

I don't need any more byu threads. Just bringing up them up is like pee in my coffee.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

It's 100% their fans for me. Most arrogant, condescending bunch of liars I've ever met.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:06 pm Did you really need to start a whole new thread for the exact same topic being discussed in the previous thread? Various posters gave you their responses. Apparently not satisfied with the responses we now have another thread.

I don't need any more byu threads. Just bringing up them up is like pee in my coffee.
The other posts were poop posts about f-word burman or f-word BYU or they stabbed us in the back. Those aren’t facts or history.

Thanks for the response though...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 pm It's 100% their fans for me. Most arrogant, condescending bunch of liars I've ever met.
Those a-holes make OU fans look like saints!!!!!! :shock:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:03 pm This is not a poop post, I am looking for honest, level headed commentary here. If the first thought here is f*ck Burman, or f*ck BYU, please go somewhere else. And no, I am not a closet BYU fan, I am not mormon. I am a UW fan through and through. I am a rabid hater of CSU, had this topic been about them, I would get it. I just don't get it about BYU.

If memory serves correctly, the announcement that BYU was leaving the MWC came while I was on a deployment to Afghanistan in late 2009/early 2010. Obviously, I had other things requiring my immediate attention. Looking back, I can't tell you where the animosity for BYU comes from. Utah left the same time but this board doesn't seem to hate the Utes like the Cougs.

I come to this with an understanding that in college football national exposure is the name of the game. Get your name on ESPN, on ABC, on NBC, anywhere you can. The more you can, more you make. I get that.

Just because it hasn't worked for BYU doesnt mean they didnt view their jump to independence as a better opportunity for their "slice of the pie" so to speak. Any team in the G5 would make the same decision in a second if they truly believed it was an in to the P5 or national relevance.

As for the stabbing the MWC (and Wyoming specifically) in the back, is there a clause in these contracts that a team has to make decisions based on what benefits the conference? Are there buyout fees? Early termination fees? Teams leave conferences all the time for greener pastures yet few seem to get the ridicule and ire that BYU has gotten. BSU and SDSU tried with everything in their power to leave yet the conference welcomed them back and few on this board even seem to care. Why the double standard? IS there really a difference or is it just heart burn?

I am curious. Again, I am not looking for fights or name calling or any of that. Looking for history.
You could probably get a more detailed version from the others that have frequented the MWC board over the years, but when Utah left and TCU was in their final year or two, BYU left to be Indy. No big deal, right?

Well, they decided they wanted to backfill the WAC so they would have more schools to play on their schedule. Guess what conference they were trying to gut? It sure as hell wasn't the PAC-12. If the UNLV AD (if I remember right) hadn't piped up and warned the rest of the conference, Wyoming and the Front Range would be looking at similar problems that NMSU and Idaho are.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

Some history to better understand. There was a helpful previous thread from a year or so ago, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mwwire.com ... rence/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mwccon ... -named-the
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

yopaulie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:02 pm Some history to better understand. There was a helpful previous thread from a year or so ago, but I couldn't find it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mwwire.com ... rence/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mwccon ... -named-the
I recall seeing published emails where byu secretly sought, and expressed happiness in the possible demise of the Mountain West. That seems to be the difference.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

fromolwyoming wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:52 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:03 pm This is not a poop post, I am looking for honest, level headed commentary here. If the first thought here is f*ck Burman, or f*ck BYU, please go somewhere else. And no, I am not a closet BYU fan, I am not mormon. I am a UW fan through and through. I am a rabid hater of CSU, had this topic been about them, I would get it. I just don't get it about BYU.

You could probably get a more detailed version from the others that have frequented the MWC board over the years, but when Utah left and TCU was in their final year or two, BYU left to be Indy. No big deal, right?

Well, they decided they wanted to backfill the WAC so they would have more schools to play on their schedule. Guess what conference they were trying to gut? It sure as hell wasn't the PAC-12. If the UNLV AD (if I remember right) hadn't piped up and warned the rest of the conference, Wyoming and the Front Range would be looking at similar problems that NMSU and Idaho are.
It was Fort Fart's AD that said something, not UNLV.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Thank you for the input. Who would have thought CSU actually won at something....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:48 pm Thank you for the input. Who would have thought CSU actually won at something....
I think it was the first time in years Fort Fart acted intelligent. Shocking I know.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

I've been a Wyoming fan since the 1980s. I grew up watching them play against the likes of Danny Ainge and Jim McMahon. I think a lot of us hate Brigham Young because they were so good for so many years. I never forget when their basketball coach called our fans despicable and their football coach quoted in Sports Illustrated that he would rather lose and live in Provo than win and live in Laramie.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Three simple steps to understand:

1. Review the history of “The Project”. If BYU had been successful we would have ended up like NMSU today. Even worse, they would have delighted in it.

2. Read the history of the Black 14.

3. Read their message board.

Once you have completed those steps, come back and let us know your thoughts. CSU is a rival. BYU is an enemy.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

A better way is this....

CSU is like a fly that keeps bothering you but never does anything but just bother you.
BYU is like the Soviet Union back in the day.

Nuff said.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The project. Nuff said...
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:13 pm It's 100% their fans for me. Most arrogant, condescending bunch of liars I've ever met.
Unfortunately, their arrogance (especially towards us, I'm guessing) comes because they've dominated us on the football field. Eight straight wins and head-to-head advantage on us since 1970.

But maybe we're developing a culture and program here that can turn that around.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Maybe you all can help me. I’m reading about “The Project” and have some thoughts. This is the timeline as I can put it together:

-Spring 2010 Utah is poached is poached from ththe MWC by the P12
-BYU believes it has to keep up with the Joneses and begins communications with USU to go indy/ join WAC
-Boise State joins the MWC
-Thompson gets wind of The Project (I assume from fort fart?)
-Thompson quick strike invites Fresno, USU, and Nevada to the MWC
-BYU leadership scoffs and gloats that FSU and Nev wouldn’t dare and probably don’t have the money for buy outs.
-Within 24 hours both Nevada and Fresno accept invites to the MWC, USU honors it’s agreement with BYU/WAC
-2 weeks later BYU announces its independence and that its joined the WCC.
-in the span off 6 months USU went from a meteoric rise by hitching it’s wagon to BYU to being the lone Utah school left in the gutted WAC.

The four or five article I have read mention NOTHING of the other MWC schools. No mention of Fort Fart saving the day, the animus (and desire to destroy us) toward UW, or anything like that.

I would love someone who is a little more knowledgeable of the happening to help me make the leap from BYU leaving to benefit itself to it was trying to torpedo UW and the MWC. From my readings, USU should be the one who feels betrayed. Also, please help me understand how if it happened Wyoming would be wallowing in independence hell. The MWC had just landed BSU and still had TCU. How was BYU leaving going to affect us anymore than it actually did... which is not at all?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 am Maybe you all can help me. I’m reading about “The Project” and have some thoughts. This is the timeline as I can put it together:

-BYU believes it has to keep up with the Joneses and begins communications with USU to go indy/ join WAC
-BYU leadership scoffs and gloats that FSU and Nev wouldn’t dare and probably don’t have the money for buy outs.
-Within 24 hours both Nevada and Fresno accept invites to the MWC, USU honors it’s agreement with BYU/WAC
-in the span off 6 months USU went from a meteoric rise by hitching it’s wagon to BYU to being the lone Utah school left in the gutted WAC.

The four or five article I have read mention NOTHING of the other MWC schools. No mention of Fort Fart saving the day, the animus (and desire to destroy us) toward UW, or anything like that.

I would love someone who is a little more knowledgeable of the happening to help me make the leap from BYU leaving to benefit itself to it was trying to torpedo UW and the MWC. From my readings, USU should be the one who feels betrayed. Also, please help me understand how if it happened Wyoming would be wallowing in independence hell. The MWC had just landed BSU and still had TCU. How was BYU leaving going to affect us anymore than it actually did... which is not at all?
If I remember correctly. BYU was in contact with USU and had plans to contact BOise to have them not make the move to the MW then contacted UNLV and SDSU(not sure if there was another team) to get them to move to the now more powerful WAC and leave the MW in shambles. This would have given BYU a better basketball conference to land in than what they ended up with in the WCC and a good base for scheduling football games. I think whoever said the UNLV AD spilled the beans is correct because I don't think CSU was invited along. I think the UNLV AD talked to the CSU AD and clued him in.(BUt could be wrong about that part). The MW quickly decided to invite FSU and Nev to the MW to gut the WAC before they could gut the MW. Once the WAC was gutted BYU was forced to join the WCC in all other sports and the Project was defeated.

At least that is my memory of how it went down. Things were happening crazy fast for a couple days.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 am Maybe you all can help me. I’m reading about “The Project” and have some thoughts. This is the timeline as I can put it together:

You won't find any tangible evidence about "The Project" because it never came to be. As I understand it, it was an idea, it was an attempt, but nothing actually came of it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

TSpoke wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:18 am

If I remember correctly. BYU was in contact with USU and had plans to contact BOise to have them not make the move to the MW then contacted UNLV and SDSU(not sure if there was another team) to get them to move to the now more powerful WAC and leave the MW in shambles. This would have given BYU a better basketball conference to land in than what they ended up with in the WCC and a good base for scheduling football games. I think whoever said the UNLV AD spilled the beans is correct because I don't think CSU was invited along. I think the UNLV AD talked to the CSU AD and clued him in.(BUt could be wrong about that part). The MW quickly decided to invite FSU and Nev to the MW to gut the WAC before they could gut the MW. Once the WAC was gutted BYU was forced to join the WCC in all other sports and the Project was defeated.

At least that is my memory of how it went down. Things were happening crazy fast for a couple days.
This would be quite interesting.

The one article I read mentioned the AD at BYU was giddy that BSU was leaving the WAC and was sorta making fun on them that they thought they were joining the better conference (MWC) when actually the WAC was going to become the power conference.

It certainly seems there was a lot of confusion and misinformation out there, I am having a terrible time piecing together the truth.