Wyoming set for home and home with BYU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Just remember that. It's good to have a team that you hate and want to beat no matter what and BYU is that team for me. Lot's of history, and you know the stands will be packed for the games in Provo and Laramie it makes good money sense.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:32 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:42 pm
Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:14 pm F BYU!!!!!!!

Fire Burman for this!!!!
This! This is inexcusable. Out with Burman
You don't actually believe this do you? Burman has overseen the return of our football program to relevance. He brought in Criag Bohl, who I believe we will look back on as the savior of Wyoming football. We now have football facilities that rival power 5 schools. We compete for conference titles in many other sports (S&D, Women's BBall, Volleyball).

Sports beefs are best settled on the field. Conference realignment is the norm now. It will be fun wiping the floor with BYU after we've become a perennial championship contender in the Mountain West that sends multiple guys to the league every year. I know some of the complainers out there have season tickets, so if you're still on your high horse by the time this game rolls around I will happily take them off you :thumb:
Bah. it only toom Burman a solid decade to settle into his job. His last three years have been OK, but before that was the dark ages.

You forget what backstabbing cheap shot artists they are. Guarantee one of these games is going to be late in the year. Why? Why do that to ourselves? If we really have a "laser-like focus to win conference championships" or whatever we should not be scheduling other games right in home stretch of our conference season
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

Holy hell some of you guys have some absurd hatred for BYU. Lol @ the guy saying he's going to cancel his season tickets.

Granted I am younger, so BYU has been independent ever since I graduated high school, but I've never met a Wyoming fan. Had no idea some of you guys still have so much pent up anger about BYU leaving the conference (for the record, it would have been stupid to stay).

Is it just a vocal minority that's like this or is the majority of the Wyoming fan base a bunch of BYU haters?

Regardless, I look forward to our upcoming games. Go Cougs!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:58 pm Haha, I can't imagine being so hurt by this as to claiming I'll cancel my season tickets. Haha. By that point, they are going to SO irrelevant and were going to be coming off another MW title and NY5 game. Were going to beat the poop out of them. Hell, by that point we'll be running the Big 10.....
So why would we agree to go to Provostan first? They need us, not the other way around. F Burman.
OOOH such a fire take. F Burman. He's such the villain! Haha. I don't understand that perspective. We play Boise ever single year and have played SDSU multiple times since they tried to do the exact same thing to the conference. I don't hear anyone clamoring and bickering and threatening to cancel season tickets when we play them...
FYI there Sheldon, Boise and SDSU happen to still be in the conference. We don't have a choice to schedule them or not. If they left for independent status, then I would say the same to them.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Not a fan of this decision. Should have let them wither and die. The least Burman could have done was make them come here first. There'd better be an enormous buyout clause to prevent them weaseling out of the return game - and they will try.

GO POKES!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:21 pm
Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:16 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:58 pm Haha, I can't imagine being so hurt by this as to claiming I'll cancel my season tickets. Haha. By that point, they are going to SO irrelevant and were going to be coming off another MW title and NY5 game. Were going to beat the poop out of them. Hell, by that point we'll be running the Big 10.....
So why would we agree to go to Provostan first? They need us, not the other way around. F Burman.
OOOH such a fire take. F Burman. He's such the villain! Haha. I don't understand that perspective. We play Boise ever single year and have played SDSU multiple times since they tried to do the exact same thing to the conference. I don't hear anyone clamoring and bickering and threatening to cancel season tickets when we play them...
FYI there Sheldon, Boise and SDSU happen to still be in the conference. We don't have a choice to schedule them or not. If they left for independent status, then I would say the same to them.
Never said we have a choice to play them. But fans certainly have the choice to be ridiculously over butthurt towards these skallywags and their decision to try to screw over the conference and the Pokes. Just because their plan failed and they came back with their tail between their legs doesnt meant they wouldnt have traded anything they could to move to a P5 conference regardless of the impact it would have had on the MWC and Wyoming. NEWSFLASH: Wyoming would too if a better conference came calling or a better situation presented itself. Don't kid yourself that UW or CSU or BSU or any of these teams still in the MWC wouldn't stab their mom if it meant they'd move to the Big 10 and wouldn't give a single poop what it meant for the survivability of the MWC or it's associated teams.

Conference realignment is a part of NCAAF and will never go away. If you cross your arms and stamp your feet and shake your fist at playing a team that made a decision it believed would better its position than the Pokes aren't going to play too many teams outside of conference ever again...
Last edited by ItSucksToBeACSURam on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wellpoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:54 pm Not a fan of this decision. Should have let them wither and die. The least Burman could have done was make them come here first. There'd better be an enormous buyout clause to prevent them weaseling out of the return game - and they will try.

GO POKES!
Have you seen their program? They are withering and dying... By the time we play them they will have jumped back into the first conference that will accept them.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 230 times

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm Holy hell some of you guys have some absurd hatred for BYU. Lol @ the guy saying he's going to cancel his season tickets.

Granted I am younger, so BYU has been independent ever since I graduated high school, but I've never met a Wyoming fan. Had no idea some of you guys still have so much pent up anger about BYU leaving the conference (for the record, it would have been stupid to stay).

Is it just a vocal minority that's like this or is the majority of the Wyoming fan base a bunch of BYU haters?

Your school tried to put an end to Wyoming athletics as we know it (after being in the same conference for 80 years). Luckily the backstabbers plan ultimately failed and the WAC never materialized. There is absolutely nothing nice to say about BYU athletics and so I will refrain.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm Have you seen their program?
Other than the 2016 Poinsettia Bowl, nope.
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm They are withering and dying...
Good. Hope it continues. Wish we weren't part of it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:59 pm By the time we play them they will have jumped back into the first conference that will accept them.
Great. Hope it isn't the MWC. Don't want to have to deal with their holier-than-thou BS ever again.

GO POKES!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:39 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm What an embarrassment for Wyoming. Shameful. Will not be buying season tickets either of those years.
Is this a serious statement or tongue in cheek?
I am serious. Season tickets would come with a byu ticket. I cannot and will not support that. To me the whole issue is sacrificing principles for money. Tom Burman took a stand when byu went independent stating that we would not be scheduling byu and he apparently changed course. BYU took a stand when it tried to leave its longtime conference member Wyoming to whither and die with a 'new WAC' that never materialized but which would have left Wyoming out and likely headed to FCS.

You are free to support byu and this game all that you want. That is your choice just as my choice is to refrain from supporting such a series.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 pm
Never said we have a choice to play them. But fans certainly have the choice to be ridiculously over butthurt towards these skallywags and their decision to try to screw over the conference and the Pokes. Just because their plan failed and they came back with their tail between their legs doesnt meant they wouldnt have traded anything they could to move to a P5 conference regardless of the impact it would have had on the MWC and Wyoming. NEWSFLASH: Wyoming would too if a better conference came calling or a better situation presented itself. Don't kid yourself that UW or CSU or BSU or any of these teams still in the MWC wouldn't stab their mom if it meant they'd move to the Big 10 and wouldn't give a single poop what it meant for the survivability of the MWC or it's associated teams.

Conference realignment is a part of NCAAF and will never go away. If you cross your arms and stamp your feet and shake your fist at playing a team that made a decision it believed would better its position than the Pokes aren't going to play too many teams outside of conference ever again...
So BYU had a better conference or better situation presented itself? Really? If so, then they don't need UW on their schedule. Again, screw them and Burman for going against his word.

Hate to break it to you but comparing BYU to SDSU or Boise is a moronic argument. BYU made their own bed, let them lie in it.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:11 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:37 pm What an embarrassment for Wyoming. Shameful. Will not be buying season tickets either of those years.
I am serious. Season tickets would come with a byu ticket. I cannot and will not support that. To me the whole issue is sacrificing principles for money. Tom Burman took a stand when byu went independent stating that we would not be scheduling byu and he apparently changed course. BYU took a stand when it tried to leave its longtime conference member Wyoming to whither and die with a 'new WAC' that never materialized but which would have left Wyoming out and likely headed to FCS.

You are free to support byu and this game all that you want. That is your choice just as my choice is to refrain from supporting such a series.
Thats a helluva stretch there.... I guess buying season tickets means I am actually supporting every team on the Cowboys schedule? I wonder when I'll get my letter from Wofford thanking me for my generous offerings...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pm Holy hell some of you guys have some absurd hatred for BYU. Lol @ the guy saying he's going to cancel his season tickets.

Go away
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 pm

So BYU had a better conference or better situation presented itself? Really? If so, then they don't need UW on their schedule. Again, screw them and Burman for going against his word.

Hate to break it to you but comparing BYU to SDSU or Boise is a moronic argument. BYU made their own bed, let them lie in it.
I have no idea what they had. I'm just saying, they obviously viewed their options and one option looked better and more advantageous than what they had. Its the exact same reason comparing BYU to BSU/SDSU is right on the money. There isn't a team in the G5 who wouldn't stab every other team in the back for a chance to make themselves relevant in the P5.

As far as their bed and them laying it, I can't disagree. I will never say that UW needed to play BYU or that we can't survive without them. I will also never stomp around hoot and holler because big bad BYU came calling again after 8 years.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Thats a helluva stretch there.... I guess buying season tickets means I am actually supporting every team on the Cowboys schedule? I wonder when I'll get my letter from Wofford thanking me for my generous offerings...
Yes, by buying tickets you are supporting every team on the Cowboys schedule. When Wofford comes to town, they get a 'guarantee' usually of $500,000 or so. Wyoming can only provide this guarantee if it can sell tickets to make the game make financial sense. If not, Wyoming will not and could not schedule such FCS home games because it cannot operate its programs in the drastic red. Wofford relies on the guarantee to improve and to keep its program operating. Buying tickets therefore supports Wofford football. I am happy to be supporting Wofford football this year with my season ticket purchase and will root for them in all of their games other than the one against Wyoming (or the Montanas should they meet in the playoffs).

When a team schedules a home and home there usually is not a guarantee as the teams just trade the opportunity to host and make money from their own ticket sales. But BYU is getting a home game that will probably sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money for BYU and it is also getting schedule relief for its otherwise difficult task of scheduling late season games as an independent. Whether you like it or not, supporting such a series directly supports byu athletics. I'm sure byu would be happy to send you some gear to wear if you would like too.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Learn the history better. It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be. If you walked out the door on your own instead of knifing other programs in the back, nobody would care anymore.

It's more than just a minority who hate BYU. And this is coming from someone who is in favor of playing the series.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:46 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Yes, by buying tickets you are supporting every team on the Cowboys schedule. When Wofford comes to town, they get a 'guarantee' usually of $500,000 or so. Wyoming can only provide this guarantee if it can sell tickets to make the game make financial sense. If not, Wyoming will not and could not schedule such FCS home games because it cannot operate its programs in the drastic red. Wofford relies on the guarantee to improve and to keep its program operating. Buying tickets therefore supports Wofford football. I am happy to be supporting Wofford football this year with my season ticket purchase and will root for them in all of their games other than the one against Wyoming (or the Montanas should they meet in the playoffs).

When a team schedules a home and home there usually is not a guarantee as the teams just trade the opportunity to host and make money from their own ticket sales. But BYU is getting a home game that will probably sell a lot of tickets and make a lot of money for BYU and it is also getting schedule relief for its otherwise difficult task of scheduling late season games as an independent. Whether you like it or not, supporting such a series directly supports byu athletics. I'm sure byu would be happy to send you some gear to wear if you would like too.
Well I am Cowboys fan so I wouldn't really need any....

This is going to come as a HUGE shock to you, but I understand how money works and how UW pays teams to come to Laramie. But I am not so deluded to think that because I buy season tickets in 2024 that I am actually a closet BYU fan and choose to support their program. If I go to the CSU game this fall, does that mean I am actually a supporter of CSU?

And when you REALLY look at it, a home and home is actually a wash. Our fans support their team for a year while theirs supports ours for a year. Does our secret fandom actually cancel out now? Who do I root for after that?
BYU Fan 7
Buckaroo

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Learn the history better. It's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be. If you walked out the door on your own instead of knifing other programs in the back, nobody would care anymore.

It's more than just a minority who hate BYU. And this is coming from someone who is in favor of playing the series.
I love conspiracy theories :popcorn:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Look, if BYU had just gone Indy, whatever. It wouldn't have been a big deal. But it was so much more than that.
Here's a quick rundown of what went down;
BYU went Indy, and then tried to lure some of the programs in the MWC back to the WAC in order to cement long term opponents. And this was right after TCU and Utah left. Which would have left the remaining MWC schools in a similar position to what happened to the WAC. If not for the UNLV AD speaking up about it, schools like Wyoming and the other Front Range schools, would have been bent over the barrel. Hard.

That, combined with generations of constant BYU fan arrogance, yeah.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

fromolwyoming wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 pm
BYU Fan 7 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:34 pm

Look, if BYU had just gone Indy, whatever. It wouldn't have been a big deal. But it was so much more than that.
Here's a quick rundown of what went down;
BYU went Indy, and then tried to lure some of the programs in the MWC back to the WAC in order to cement long term opponents. And this was right after TCU and Utah left. Which would have left the remaining MWC schools in a similar position to what happened to the WAC. If not for the UNLV AD speaking up about it, schools like Wyoming and the other Front Range schools, would have been bent over the barrel. Hard.

That, combined with generations of constant BYU fan arrogance, yeah.
BYU wanted Fresno, Joser, Nevada and Utah state to go over. Utah State was all for it because they are BYU Jr., but Fresno, Nevada and Joser told BYU to f off. and now BYU plays by itself like a loser for participation ribbons each year