New Fan, need a quick rundown

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

The staff prides itself on developing talent. I don't remember many of our top players having many offers from other FBS programs. Bohl takes them and develops them into very good college players.

As a Minnesotan, I watched Bohl build a strong program at North Dakota State doing the same thing, and now he's doing it again.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Dankohner
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am
Dankohner wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 am Anybody know how #87 Conner Cain is expected to do this year? I saw he was named a captain for the NMS game. I only ask because I was able to pick up his game worn jersey.
He broke his ankle, but is back at full strength. He'll be an integral part of our vaunted D line!
Thanks for the update!
Dankohner
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:14 am
Dankohner wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 am Anybody know how #87 Conner Cain is expected to do this year? I saw he was named a captain for the NMS game. I only ask because I was able to pick up his game worn jersey.
He broke his ankle, but is back at full strength. He'll be an integral part of our vaunted D line!
Thanks for the update!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I need a refresher. What was the history with the Carta-Samuels situation? I see his brother at QB for the sheep, and I remember the name being a hot-button issue around here.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 pm I need a refresher. What was the history with the Carta-Samuels situation? I see his brother at QB for the sheep, and I remember the name being a hot-button issue around here.
QB'd here for a couple years under Christensen, then transferred to Vanderbilt. If that had been it, it would have been fine. But then ACS popped off his mouth in some interviews and burned bridges.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 pm I need a refresher. What was the history with the Carta-Samuels situation? I see his brother at QB for the sheep, and I remember the name being a hot-button issue around here.
QB'd here for a couple years under Christensen, then transferred to Vanderbilt. If that had been it, it would have been fine. But then ACS popped off his mouth in some interviews and burned bridges.
I’d say that him and his family burned bridges on the way out.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Some still remember the stiff arm against csu that launched us into a bowl game. Also a New Mexico bowl champion. Kids say dumb poop all the time. Fact is Austyn was a breath of fresh air at the time and will always be a Cowboy in my book.
a good friend
Buckaroo

Adv8RU12 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:41 pm Will Bently start at QB over Scarnecchia for the cocks?
Unless Bentley breaks both knees, yeah!
a good friend
Buckaroo

WYO1016 wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:42 am
a good friend wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am Hey y'all. I am a dna rifle fan on the east coast and have been trying to get invested in another team out west so that I will have the gameday experience twice a week. Decided to go with y'all because it was the team I would always pick on the old NCAA games to bring into a national powerhouse.

I am tuning in tomorrow night and just want to know what players are fan favorites, who is the projected stars and what sort of outcome should I expect from the season (estimated w/l)

Best!
Welcome! I'm a lifelong Wyoming fan who married a dna rifle, so we're following the same teams!

Granderson is our Clowney (just took him longer to get to that point)
Conway = Deebo
Hoping that Vanderwaal will show up like Bentley did!
Awesome we will hopefully be celebrating together all season!
WyoIllini wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm
a good friend wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am Hey y'all. I am a dna rifle fan on the east coast and have been trying to get invested in another team out west so that I will have the gameday experience twice a week. Decided to go with y'all because it was the team I would always pick on the old NCAA games to bring into a national powerhouse.

I am tuning in tomorrow night and just want to know what players are fan favorites, who is the projected stars and what sort of outcome should I expect from the season (estimated w/l)

Best!
Awesome. I started following Wyoming two seasons ago for pretty much the same reasons. The old NCAA games, and a lot of their games were on late at night. The first ever game I watched was a 3OT classic against Northern IL. I’ve been hooked ever since.
Hah thats awesome, great minds.

Kick off soon, I hope I bring W's with my new fandom!
WyoIllini
Buckaroo

a good friend wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am

Hah thats awesome, great minds.

Kick off soon, I hope I bring W's with my new fandom!
Off to a good start!
a good friend
Buckaroo

For sure! My take-away is that the defensive line really eats up alot of blocks. Even when they werent disrupting the back field they made it hard for the RBs to find a crease and the QB to settle into the pocket.

Offense looked stagnant at points and really reminded me of ol' Lou Holtz football where we used to just keep pounding the ball in there and hope the defense taps out. I will be curious how things will end up when an offense is able to move it on Wyoming's defense
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

a good friend wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:44 am For sure! My take-away is that the defensive line really eats up alot of blocks. Even when they werent disrupting the back field they made it hard for the RBs to find a crease and the QB to settle into the pocket.

Offense looked stagnant at points and really reminded me of ol' Lou Holtz football where we used to just keep pounding the ball in there and hope the defense taps out. I will be curious how things will end up when an offense is able to move it on Wyoming's defense
That's the big question. I think NMSU's defense was decent but with all of their new players on offense I think this may be one of the worst offenses we see all year besides Wofford and maybe SJSU.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Welcome as well, keep an eye on this D as I truly believe we'll be worthy of a top 10 status in the NCAA this year, NMSU was a good starter test for us but this week against a pass happy Wazzu Cougars outta the Pac 12 will truly show us how we'll be. Keep an eye on this Cowboy squad as I am thinking good things are yet to come!!!! GO POKES
WyoIllini
Buckaroo

Wow. Looks like we newer fans need to look into this BYU thing. Looks like a lot of history to unpack.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

WyoIllini wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:47 am
a good friend wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am You stayed up for that?! That game didn't end til like 3am local time!
Yep. It was by far the latest (earliest?) I’ve stayed up watching live football. It was great.
I was in Dutch Harbor, AK with NO internet, TV, had a friend call me with some play by play but I wasn't going to pay $50 per GIG for WIFI to find it on my phone that didn't work in the Aleutians anyway....had to wait til work next morning and the company computer, sounded like a fun time tho
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

WyoIllini wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:52 pm Wow. Looks like we newer fans need to look into this BYU thing. Looks like a lot of history to unpack.
There is a lot of history without a doubt
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!