Questions about the team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
F5_MW_writer
Buckaroo

Hey I am looking at writing an article about Wyoming and y'alls up coming season. I just had a few questions that I wanted to see if you could help me with.

1. How much does the loss of Josh Allen really hurt you? Is there any QB controversy? How much does the offense worry you?

2. Is the strength of the defense enough to carry the team? Who do you think stands out on defense? Is there any aspect of the defense that you don't trust?

3. In general are you more confident about this team than last year? How do you think you compare to Boise? Utah State? Colorado State?

4. How do you feel about the schedule? FPI predicts 6.5 wins. What game worries you? What game do you think you can pull the upset? Why? What do you project the final record to be?

5. What should a casual fan know going into this season?

Feel free to answer any of these questions and ignore others. Also feel free to just tell me more. The more I can learn about you the better.

The focus is going to be "How does Wyoming recover to losing Josh Allen?" or something along those lines.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyoming isn’t a school that can replace draft picks that easily. The offense struggled even with Josh Allen last year and was probably the worst in the nation without him. That being said if other areas improve ( line, receivers, and especially running-back ) than the offense should actually improve. Play calling was vanilla and the fans hope this improves. Tyler Vander Waal likely wins the QB spit and he has potential ( decent arm, big, and an athlete). Will be nice having a four year starter.

Defense is the best in the conference along with BSU. The defense can carry the team as shown by last year. If offense improves this is a championship caliber team.

Also f-word BYU!
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

1. While it is never easy to replace a first round draft pick, I don't think the offense can get much worse than it was last year. It was abysmal. I think you will see that losing four NFL players (Tanner Gentry-Chicago, Jacob Hollister-New England, Brian Hill-Cincinnati, Chase Roulier-Washington) and not to mention another all conference WR in Jake Maulhardt was more drastic than losing Josh Allen will be. Consider me more optimistic about the offensive this offseason than most. The skill players will have more experience but the biggest key will be the offensive line. The key to what Bohl wants to do is control the trenches and that should be improved this year.

2. I think the defense can carry the team. They did it week in and week out last year if you go look at the games. I'd say the normal standouts are the ones to look for on defense. Wingard, Granderson, Ghaifan, and Wilson are all studs and in my opinion future NFLers. The only thing I'm slightly concerned with is the corners, but good defensive lines make cornerbacks better.

3. I think it will take a much improved offense to beat Boise. Playing Boise and Utah State at home are huge and will be big keys to the year. I'd say getting Utah State at home will be the deciding factor in that game. Colorado State is full of a bunch of bums and a step below. Their defense sucked last year and lost a good chunk of starters. They lost two Qbs (one to graduation, one to a blown knee), so they brought in a bum to help right the ship. Too many question marks and no overall team strength.

4. Brutal schedule. Having Wazzu and going to Mizzu isn't very fun. Week one against NMSU is extremely crucial. I'm no expert on records but alot will hinge on that first game. And if there is one upset I'd think maybe Wazzu. Getting them the first week with a game under the belt and them not while being at home when they have a new Qb will be big.

5. I'd just say sit back and enjoy the ride. I haven't been around Cowboy football for decades like some, but the short time I have has been a roller coaster. Seems like the program is on the rise so sit back and enjoy it!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

1. Not many offenses are left with a lot of room to improve the season after having its star quarterback drafted in the top 10. But statistically speaking Wyoming couldn't get much worse this season. Many on here lay blame on the O-Coordinator Brent Vigen but the truth is that there were no explosive players on offense to help out Josh Allen last season. Tyler Vander Waal is and should be the starter (see: Nick Smith vs San Jose State 2017) under center and if the guys around him grow from last year things will be much better. And if not, we'll waste the best defense we've maybe ever had.

2. The defense is NOT good enough to carry this team. They will be an absolute force like last season and maybe better, but in 2017 Josh Allen basically willed the team to wins in several important games (CSU, Utah State, Hawaii) where the defense played like its usual self. More than his ability to sling it 80 yards, this is why I'm most concerned about losing Allen. Even with a top- 20 defense Wyoming is probably a 4-win team without him last season. Again, see San Jose State if you believe the defense can do it all. Granderson, Wingard, Wilson and Ghaifan are legit NFL prospects. Young cornerbacks and losing some turnover luck are the only concerns.

3. Because of my belief about what a great defense can do on its own, I am less confident about this team. If Vander Waal shines I can have my mind changed very, very quickly. With an offense that moves the ball we can take anyone in the division, Boise included. Wyoming will be keeping rivalry trophies against CSU and Utah State.

4. I am most concerned about the opener against New Mexico State. If the offense sputters and we lose it will put a damper on the home opener. That said, if they handle the Aggies with ease Laramie will be buzzing for the Wazzu game and then anything can happen. Pencil us in for a dumb loss at Hawaii and probably at Fresno + Mizzou too.

5. Casual fans should step back and recognize the NFL-caliber talent Craig Bohl has brought to Laramie (a tough recruiting sell to say the least) and developed. It started with a high profile QB but Wyoming football is not going away and the 4 (at least) defensive players this program is about to send to the league shows it.

Best of luck on the story and I'd love to see it posted here when it's done.

Go Pokes
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

One aspect that I believe will make the transition away from Josh Allen smoother is that he isn't really your traditional Group of 5 high draft pick. In most cases, to stand out at that level, I think a player needs to dominate on the field.

Probably 95% of what made him a 1st round pick was tied to his potential, not his on-field production. That will hopefully make it easier for a new QB to step in and be productive. None of the current QBs have the skill set Allen has, but obviously the skill set didn't always translate on the field.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I would say that Austin Conway, Austin Fort, and Tyler hall ( special teams returner) are explosive.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

1. That is the million dollar question. Josh Allen has immense talent, and the loss of his presence was evident in the second half of the AFA game, and all of the Fresno/SJSU games. He didn't have the gaudiest of numbers, and I think fans take solace in that. That maybe Tyler Vander Waal can be more effective, even if he's nowhere near as physically gifted. That narrative might prove to be complete poop (again, see SJSU game and tell me Josh didn't have a huge influence on this team), or maybe it's the truth! Nobody knows until the games are played.

2. Yes...and no? I think the defense will keep Wyoming relevant in every game this fall, but again for the 50th time, the SJSU game is proof that the vaunted defense alone isn't enough every week. Every level of the defense is super talented. Loss of two starting corners might prove to be an issue, but I'm not concerned.

3. The brass of the Mountain Division coming to Laramie creates confidence. That said, none of us were really braced for how big a step back the offense would take in 2017. Josh Allen threw out the Fiesta Bowl as a possibility at 2017 MWC Media Days. Clearly expectations were higher last year.

4. Putting too much emphasis on one or two games isn't smart, but it really feels like this team needs a solid start. Beat New Mexico State for starters, avoid a confidence-killing loss there. Beat a vulnerable Wazzu at home, and a 2-0 start has fans thinking it's 2016 all over again, maybe better. Lose at NMSU, and all bets are off. It really comes down to that first month before the bye. From there, Bohl and co. will be gunning for Boise State. Utah State has to come to Laramie, and CSU is losing a bunch of talent. That @Hawaii, @Fresno State stretch is worrisome. Hawaii isn't very good, but in general traveling to Honolulu one week after spending so much mental energy on Boise State points toward a trap game.

Overall, which games are tough and which aren't comes down to how the Pokes handle NMSU and Wazzu. Boise State looks tough, but might not be if Wyo gets off to a great start (3-1). Hawaii does not look tough, but might be if the team gets off to a trash start (1-3 at the bye).

5. This team has an elite defense and an elite coach. That's a recipe for success, but fans are still guarded too. The potential for a special season is there, but we also know things could go south too if the offense doesn't mesh.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

All good questions, however, u missed the question about LOS. The underlying heart of this team will be in it's line play.

Good lines make great teams. I have a feeling this will be a special year.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

1. Loss of Allen REALLY hurts. Look at SJSU last year. No QB controversy though.

2. Defense enough to win 6 games, with Wingard being the standout because he will have to make the most tackles.

3. Less confident than last year. Lose to Boise. CSU, USU toss up.

4. Schedule just fine. 2-2 after first four games. No upsets because no Allen explosiveness.

5> Casual fan should know that this team will look more like a Koenning team than a Roach one.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I still have PTSD from how abysmal the offense was last year. I hope we can pull out 6 wins
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Lose to NMSU and we are staring down the barrel of a 1-6 start. That game is as big as they come in terms of setting the stage for the season.

I’m personally very skeptical of this team given what we’ve seen so far when our offense isn’t loaded with NFL prospects. It smells like a 2008 Joe Glenn team. Football in general but especially college football is an offensive game these days. The rules favor offenses. The way players grow up in 7v7 football favors offenses. I believe the average college football offense is much better than the average college football defense. Having a great defense definitely is better than not having it, but face it, Even the best teams/defenses in the country (Alabama) have to win several shootouts every year, and as good as our defense is they aren’t Alabama good. we aren’t winning 6,7,8+ games with final scores like 13-9.

Until I see otherwise on the field if you placed the over under on our win total at 6 I’d have to bet the under.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

marcuswyo wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm I would say that Austin Conway, Austin Fort, and Tyler hall ( special teams returner) are explosive.
We have different definitions I think. I think capable of breaking 40+ yard plays by themself as explosive.

Tyler Hall, yes.
Conway, no. He can avoid 10 tackles and still only gain 6 yards. Have yet to see him break away and score.
Fort? Has he even ran 40 yards worth of routes in a single game?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I was looking at it as yards from scrimmage and plays. An 8-10 yard rush is explosive, a 15 yard reception is an explosive play.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I totally agree, unlike a lot of other schools, when they lose players to the NFL they reload, we have to rebuild. I think we'll be like any other year, struggle with the newness of the season and then figure out who we are mid season, (unfortunately) lose a key play to an injury for a few games etc....Our D will be just fine but we can't hang our hat on them to bail us out of situations. We have to score points even if they are FG's rest our D and show that we belong. I forsee a lot of struggles early and find ourselves but 7-5 is about it again. But it will be fun to have a stellar D to watch, again......
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:53 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 pm I would say that Austin Conway, Austin Fort, and Tyler hall ( special teams returner) are explosive.
We have different definitions I think. I think capable of breaking 40+ yard plays by themself as explosive.

Tyler Hall, yes.
Conway, no. He can avoid 10 tackles and still only gain 6 yards. Have yet to see him break away and score.
Fort? Has he even ran 40 yards worth of routes in a single game?
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Rocket. Sure he's an unknown, but he's fast! Sounds like he's been doing well in camp despite being limited by a hand injury.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

1. Obviously it hurts a lot, as anyone losing a top 10 QB would struggle, but as others have said, the offense could improve. If there is any improvement from the other positions, especially WR and RB, we could be alright and better on that side of the ball, but that could be calling for too much.

2. Defense is enough to carry the team, as they were last year. The main standouts are the guys many have written about, Ghaifan, Granderson, Wingard, and Wilson mostly. The only aspect I have questions about is corner, and that is more a lack of experience thing than thinking they're not talented enough.

3. Less confident than last year, but that is 100% on the QB situation. If we have even a bad offense, that would be an improvement and I think we can play with anybody in the conference, though Boise scares me.

4. The FPI seems about right. In conference Boise and Utah State worry me the most, out of conference I think our biggest game is the opener in Las Cruces. I do think we could pull the upset against Wazzu though, with them also breaking in a new QB against this defense.

5. Bet the under. Our biggest scoring threat returning may be Logan Wilson.