WYOMING @ New Mexico State - Guess the Score

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Predicting opening day results is really hard. There is preseason no gauge where each team is at. That won't stop message board posters from guessing! Who wins the Wyo @ NMSU opener and what's the score?

Wyoming is a 5.5 point favorite. I poop you not, NMSU was a very brief favorite for this game. It has since ballooned to as much as -6 Wyoming.

My guess: No o/u on points just yet, but a fairly low-scoring game seems likely. I think the Wyo offense surprises a little and we see evidence of the staff's trips to Stanford and the Philadelphia Eagles. 24 offensive points and a defensive touchdown. Overstreet breaks one long. Wyoming 31, New Mexico State 13.

Your turn.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

First to 10 wins.

Until I see otherwise, I'm not confident in predicting we'll even gain a first down. It all depends on whether we can establish a run game this year.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

I'll guess...

Wyoming 35,
New Mexico State 17.

We actually...and shockingly...get the offense we shoulda had last year!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

21 to 10, Cowboys win. I don’t see this defense giving up much more than 10 in many games.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming 38, NMSU 10
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

If Smith is QB, Wyoming 10, NMSU 3.

If (insert anybody but Smith at QB), Wyoming 17, NMSU 3.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

17-10 Wyoming with one of the TDs being a D TD or special teams TD
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Good guys 13- them 10
W-Y, Until I Die!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Before the game starts: 0 - 0.
When the game is over: Wyo 17 - 10.
So I'm going to be at least 50% correct no matter what happens.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

If we don't win by at least 2 scores I will be displeased, how can you be confindent about beating WSU if you can't be NMSU by a minimum of two scores. I say 24-9
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

21-10, good guys
RawPoke24
Buckaroo

17-0 Pokes. D pitches a shut-out!
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:44 am If we don't win by at least 2 scores I will be displeased, how can you be confindent about beating WSU if you can't be NMSU by a minimum of two scores. I say 24-9
I'm thinking the Pokes will try to go vanilla, not reveal any more than necessary, and save the heavy duty stuff for WSU. Of course "heavy duty" probably means something much different to Vigen than it does to us.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

17 - 3, Pokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Wyoming 6-3. Logan Wilson fumble return for a touchdown but a missed PAT. NMSU scores 3 on a turnover in Wyoming territory but the D holds them to a 3 and out for the win.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 pm Wyoming 6-3. Logan Wilson fumble return for a touchdown
Thinking Vigen, I presume.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:02 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 pm Wyoming 6-3. Logan Wilson fumble return for a touchdown
Thinking Vigen, I presume.
No.

I’m realistic about a freshman QB in his first game ever on the road, in the heat and against a pretty darn good defense without probably the top WR. I actually think the offense will score as it was a bit TIC but all of the blame Vigen for all offensive struggles stuff on here is largely not based in reality.

I recorded and stored on HULU almost all of last years games. When I had nothing to do, I watched them. Watch the O-lines run blocking, watch the mostly minimal separation of the receivers...blaming the struggles all on playcalling is nonsense. I believe we will see much improvement in these areas but we are losing one heck of a player at QB and those may even out.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I here what oredigger is saying and there is truth in it. However, The argument can be made that Bill Cockhill has the same issues with his line and receivers. Was there any wrinkles added to his game to help Allen out? I mean if there was a time to throw everything out the window it would have been last year with an NFL qb and a stellar defense. Did he need to continue to run 1st and 2nd down every series when you know you can’t run? That is why he had a bad season play calling in my eyes ( not that my opinion matters).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:07 pm I here what oredigger is saying and there is truth in it. However, The argument can be made that Bill Cockhill has the same issues with his line and receivers. Was there any wrinkles added to his game to help Allen out? I mean if there was a time to throw everything out the window it would have been last year with an NFL qb and a stellar defense. Did he need to continue to run 1st and 2nd down every series when you know you can’t run? That is why he had a bad season play calling in my eyes ( not that my opinion matters).
I agree with you that Vigen should have been much more innovative last year given the circumstances and limitations. He should have recognized those limitations and come up with a better answer than the system he has grown accustomed to (which is absolutely successful with the right personnel). I said before the game and still believe we would have definitely beat SJSU by putting Conway at QB to run an option/wildcat offense for that game as outside of the box as that would have been. Vigen chose to play it ‘safe’ with Nick Smith and no real substantive changes to the offense and ultimately we took an embarrassing loss to a bad team.

I’m not a Vigen defender and do believe there are certainly better options at offensive coordinator but (as you seem to imply as well), but he isn’t the sole cause for Wyoming’s poor offensive performance last year and doesn’t deserve all of the negativity this board seems to give him because any coach would have had difficulties under those circumstances.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:07 pm I here what oredigger is saying and there is truth in it. However, The argument can be made that Bill Cockhill has the same issues with his line and receivers. Was there any wrinkles added to his game to help Allen out? I mean if there was a time to throw everything out the window it would have been last year with an NFL qb and a stellar defense. Did he need to continue to run 1st and 2nd down every series when you know you can’t run? That is why he had a bad season play calling in my eyes ( not that my opinion matters).
I agree with you that Vigen should have been much more innovative last year given the circumstances and limitations. He should have recognized those limitations and come up with a better answer than the system he has grown accustomed to (which is absolutely successful with the right personnel). I said before the game and still believe we would have definitely beat SJSU by putting Conway at QB to run an option/wildcat offense for that game as outside of the box as that would have been. Vigen chose to play it ‘safe’ with Nick Smith and no real substantive changes to the offense and ultimately we took an embarrassing loss to a bad team.

I’m not a Vigen defender and do believe there are certainly better options at offensive coordinator but (as you seem to imply as well), but he isn’t the sole cause for Wyoming’s poor offensive performance last year and doesn’t deserve all of the negativity this board seems to give him because any coach would have had difficulties under those circumstances.
I agree with what you are saying about the negativity, I actually think our offense will be improved because of the situation last year. The SJSU game had to be a wake call scenario.