Reaction to campaign...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
onePokeovertheline
Ranch Hand

has been well documented. But this is outstanding!
wwcc22
Buckaroo

That was outstanding
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wonderful. I love some of the reactions that this has caused.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Outstanding
andersonj
Buckaroo

Just another tempest in a teapot.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

onePokeovertheline wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:59 am has been well documented. But this is outstanding!
"I love to ridicule theses idiots", hahah at you Ms Porter. This guy is spot on, the real embarrassment is our outspoken faculty.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

So, did our faculty actually make as big of a deal about it as some people claim? I just saw this comment about the issue:
I love it, I am not white and I always am proud of the fact that I spent my adult life in Wyoming. 10 years.

But let’s just break this down. I love the ad and the slogan. Though they could have not spent 500k on it. But that is a different topic. The faculty is not protesting this. Neither is anyone anywhere protesting this at UW. 30/804 faculty member raised a question and lodged a complaint. That was addressed and a decision was made. There is no need to milk this situation more than what it is worth. This is fake news. Right here. Mind you 30/804 is 3.7%

If I were to give a million $$ to cancer research, there would be more than 3.7% people complaining about why the money couldn’t go to ALS research.

Again, not a controversy stop trying to make it one just so you can bash on others.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, the only ones I see making a big deal out of this, are the ones saying that others called it politically incorrect.

Irony, really.

But can't people just shrug, say, "Agree to disagree", and move on anymore?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am So, did our faculty actually make as big of a deal about it as some people claim? I just saw this comment about the issue:
I love it, I am not white and I always am proud of the fact that I spent my adult life in Wyoming. 10 years.

But let’s just break this down. I love the ad and the slogan. Though they could have not spent 500k on it. But that is a different topic. The faculty is not protesting this. Neither is anyone anywhere protesting this at UW. 30/804 faculty member raised a question and lodged a complaint. That was addressed and a decision was made. There is no need to milk this situation more than what it is worth. This is fake news. Right here. Mind you 30/804 is 3.7%

If I were to give a million $$ to cancer research, there would be more than 3.7% people complaining about why the money couldn’t go to ALS research.

Again, not a controversy stop trying to make it one just so you can bash on others.
Here's the biggest problem with people having a problem with something. The faculty member could have just lodged a complaint with the University and gone through the normal channels. Instead she blasted it all over social media, and a handful of other people joined in. They made it a big deal all by themselves, and now they look like idiots for jumping the gun and judging the entire campaign on the tagline alone.

It brings to mind a Frederick Douglass quote:
"The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion"

The rebellion here is the people that are vocally supporting the campaign. The 3.7% of faculty that had a problem with the campaign screamed it from the mountaintop. If they get burned down because they were so vocal that's their own fault.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 am So, did our faculty actually make as big of a deal about it as some people claim? I just saw this comment about the issue:

Agree with this. People love to get outraged over someone else's outrage. It was a few people that had a premature, silly reaction to a slogan. Totally didn't warrant the blowback and articles about it that were sparked.

But I guess with all the blowback it has gotten our University and marketing campaign a lot of press it wouldn't otherwise so I guess its a good thing. I just think its silly to get worked up over something like this.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Even though I thought spending $500k for this as kind of weak, the reality is, we are getting more than our $500k worth in the press now. People that didn't know what Wyoming was before this campaign do now.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Damn between Josh Allen, Kanye West, now this, Wyoming will be a household name before you know it. Just seems odd to me. My gut is telling me this was premeditated.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 am

Here's the biggest problem with people having a problem with something. The faculty member could have just lodged a complaint with the University and gone through the normal channels. Instead she blasted it all over social media, and a handful of other people joined in. They made it a big deal all by themselves, and now they look like idiots for jumping the gun and judging the entire campaign on the tagline alone.

It brings to mind a Frederick Douglass quote:
"The thing worse than rebellion is the thing that causes rebellion"

The rebellion here is the people that are vocally supporting the campaign. The 3.7% of faculty that had a problem with the campaign screamed it from the mountaintop. If they get burned down because they were so vocal that's their own fault.
I think that's the point he is making. Those 30 people aren't screaming from the mountain top, we are just being led to believe that they are. Maybe they didn't like it, filed a complaint and have moved on. Perhaps you have seen more from the original 30 via social media or some other medium, if so I'd be interested to know what they said.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

poke_addict wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm Damn between Josh Allen, Kanye West, now this, Wyoming will be a household name before you know it. Just seems odd to me. My gut is telling me this was premeditated.
Could be right...could be one of the greatest marketing programs in UW history.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

I think Washington State, Houston, and BYU should pay me $500,000 for the slogan, "The World Needs More Cougars."
Jedi
Buckaroo

How is this racist when historically cowboys in the Old West was one of the most diverse populations in the U.S.? And Wyoming refused to become a state unless women had voting rights? People nee to know their history. There are reasons Wyoming is called The Equality State.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

TrackPoke wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:12 am I think Washington State, Houston, and BYU should pay me $500,000 for the slogan, "The World Needs More Cougars."
And maybe those said "Cougars" will move to Wyoming to help with scenery, LOL
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Jedi wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 pm How is this racist when historically cowboys in the Old West was one of the most diverse populations in the U.S.? And Wyoming refused to become a state unless women had voting rights? People nee to know their history. There are reasons Wyoming is called The Equality State.
I agree with your first sentence, Cowboys come in all shapes, sizes, creeds and colors.

Your second sentence is false however. Wyoming gave women the right to vote so that they would have enough voting people to become a state, it was more a ploy to get statehood than it was to give women equal rights.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Jedi wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 pm How is this racist when historically cowboys in the Old West was one of the most diverse populations in the U.S.? And Wyoming refused to become a state unless women had voting rights? People nee to know their history. There are reasons Wyoming is called The Equality State.
Haha refused to become a state? We weren't accepted into the union until 20 years AFTER we gave women the right to vote.

We weren't being recruited, we were scratching and clawing to get in.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 am
poke_addict wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:42 pm Damn between Josh Allen, Kanye West, now this, Wyoming will be a household name before you know it. Just seems odd to me. My gut is telling me this was premeditated.
Could be right...could be one of the greatest marketing programs in UW history.
If the University doesn't wuss out, this should be on the video board for their openings every game, afterall we know it's true afterall (the mantra, saying), lol