Off-Season Coaching Field Trips

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I'm hearing that Coach Bohl and company have spent some time this off-season working with the Philadelphia Eagles and Stanford Cardinal coaching staffs, possibly to find some solutions to our offense issues.

Anyone else heard anything about this?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I can think of an even better solution, but I'm not going to go there.... yet.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I hope it is the truth. Anything to help our Offense. Stanford runs a very similar offense to Bohl's and the Eagles I would presume are for the passing game. They use a lot of West Coast style passing concepts.

Side Note: How has David Shaw not been approached by an NFL team yet? Also you never hear his name mentioned for big time coaching hires in college. The guy is a winner.
I'm good for 3!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I think they will recommend not running 1st and 2nd down and than attempting a 15 yard pass on 3rd down every single series.

Joking aside it’s great they are trying to fix it. I don’t think we will get 200 yards rushing a game like 2016 but the run has to be better than 100 yards game it was last year right?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:24 pm I think they will recommend not running 1st and 2nd down and than attempting a 15 yard pass on 3rd down every single series.

Joking aside it’s great they are trying to fix it. I don’t think we will get 200 yards rushing a game like 2016 but the run has to be better than 100 yards game it was last year right?
We hit 100yds a game last year?
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Hopefully Vigen will be more creative and unpredictable this season.

The only real saving grace here is Brian Daboll. Allen’s offensive coordinator was uncreative and predictable at Wyoming. Daboll’s track record shows he’s anything but. It remains to be seen just how well the first year play-caller can design an offense to emphasize his quarterback’s strengths. Either way, if Allen does start the entire season, his workload will be diminished as he gets his feet wet, allowing Lesean McCoy to carry the offense as he’s done for the past three years.

Projected Stat Line: 257/450 (57.1%), 3,015 yards, 21 TD, 18 INT

Editor’s babble: Solid assessment here, but I’m biased about Josh Allen because he played for the University of Wyoming – so I’ll always be partial to my ‘homie’ from WYO :) This might be one of the more interesting of the many QB battles we’ve seen at training camp over the last couple of decades. Big time thanks to Anthony Sciandra for his contributions to our blog. Keeping us going through the NFL ‘dead month’ of July is no easy task. You can follow Anthony on Twitter @SciandraSports.
CodyPoke
Ranch Hand

Hope our offense will operate like this:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/no-9- ... -s-offense
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I think a match-up first concept makes sense. Obviously Bohl and Vigen know more than any of us but You lose ability to to find a good match-up when you are committed running 1st and 2nd down nearly every series . We have a lot of height at WR and TE this year and some speed ( Conway), will be interesting to see if they go that route ( look for mis-matches).
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ball control is a fickle bitch

Nothing can remain constant. It has to revolve around the current landscape of the game, down and distance, turnovers, injuries, qb accuracy, rb ability, opposing dline play... Many more.

It's fluid. The best o coordinators have mastery of multiple formations and playbooks. Each set of four downs are a puzzle. If u want to be great you have to make decisions that flow opposite of what u normally execute. Special team formations, short yardage, long yardage.

It's exactly like what Hazelton did last year on defense. Be unpredictable. But u have to have depth, and an ability to teach players average schemes, and be able to teach fluid on the down calls. In order to achieve this, players have to have thousands of reps. Repetition with unorthodox play calling during practice.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:24 pm I think they will recommend not running 1st and 2nd down and than attempting a 15 yard pass on 3rd down every single series.

We hit 100yds a game last year?
Barely. 108. 3.2 ypc