Idaho Potato Bowl: Three Stars

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

https://wyonation.com/2017/12/idaho-pot ... ree-stars/

Chad's blog on players of the game.
ImageImageImageImage
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Nice! I'm glad I beat this post by a few minutes in pointing out Ghaifan's performance so it doesn't seem like I'm just parroting! I love how he just keeps going and disrupts things on almost every play.

Overall, one could have picked a LOT of 3 stars for this game, but I think this selection is fair. While Allen's stats aren't super impressive, he set the tone from the get go, and I think it'd be a mistake to underestimate the kind of a motivational leader he is even on the sidelines.
Last edited by Asmodeanreborn on Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

"Wyoming hasn’t seen a QB like Allen in their program’s history and there is a good chance they will never see one like him again."

Not to be too critical, but this sounds like something I would expect from SDPoke or one of the other Chicken Littles on this board. Very negative comment.

Oh, and one name- Josh Wallwork...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:35 am "Wyoming hasn’t seen a QB like Allen in their program’s history and there is a good chance they will never see one like him again."

Not to be too critical, but this sounds like something I would expect from SDPoke or one of the other Chicken Littles on this board. Very negative comment.

Oh, and one name- Josh Wallwork...
And another name - Randy Welniak. :whistle:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

There's a reason Josh is gonna be a high 1st rounder and Wallwork and Welniak weren't drafted.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Not to take away from those guys, but Josh being 6'5, 240lbs, canon arm, makes throws like he did yesterday, his escapability, and ability to run do set him on another level.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 am Not to take away from those guys, but Josh being 6'5, 240lbs, canon arm, makes throws like he did yesterday, his escapability, and ability to run do set him on another level.
He also has the "IT" factor - leadership, cohesiveness, and motivation for the whole team.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:16 pm
fromolwyoming wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 am Not to take away from those guys, but Josh being 6'5, 240lbs, canon arm, makes throws like he did yesterday, his escapability, and ability to run do set him on another level.
He also has the "IT" factor - leadership, cohesiveness, and motivation for the whole team.
What he doesn't have are the records and numbers.

Regardless of how we parse all that, the suggestion that there will never be another QB like Allen again strikes me as somewhat fatalistic.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I have no doubt there will be another "Allen" type QB in our future. Bohl has hit on Carson and Josh in less than 10 years! Quality kids will want to play for him.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I'd be completely fine with somebody who can't throw the ball 80 yards, but who has a completion percentage in the 65-70% range instead while still remaining mobile.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

You old heads make me laugh w the Wallwork and Welniak as undrafted comps....😂
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

We've had some great QB'S....Bramlets.....Brett Smith....ACS..... while Josh Allen has the more typical skills for the pros.... it's hard to say he's our best.... I'm confident another Allen will come our way again.....
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

I thought, man, this guy is tough to please!
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:15 am I'd be completely fine with somebody who can't throw the ball 80 yards, but who has a completion percentage in the 65-70% range instead while still remaining mobile.
In all fairness to Allen, a lot of his passes this year were dropped especially early on. Factor this, with the fact that he had to run for his life and try to make something out nothing and I think he would be close to 65 percent this year easy. When Vigen took the handcuffs off him, josh was nearly unstoppable. When we went into “prevent” offensive mode, he was very average
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Vt poke wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:15 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:15 am I'd be completely fine with somebody who can't throw the ball 80 yards, but who has a completion percentage in the 65-70% range instead while still remaining mobile.
In all fairness to Allen, a lot of his passes this year were dropped especially early on. Factor this, with the fact that he had to run for his life and try to make something out nothing and I think he would be close to 65 percent this year easy. When Vigen took the handcuffs off him, josh was nearly unstoppable. When we went into “prevent” offensive mode, he was very average
Also, Josh seemed to throw away many balls this year. The plays aren't always there.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, I'm certainly not entirely blaming Allen for his completion percentage - I'm just saying I'll take somebody with a higher one. A combination of somebody who doesn't throw bullets and our receivers finally having learned to catch even hard-thrown passes would help with that.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Ghaifan might be lowkey the best defensive player in the conference.
poke_addict
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 pm
WYCowboy wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:16 pm
What he doesn't have are the records and numbers.

Regardless of how we parse all that, the suggestion that there will never be another QB like Allen again strikes me as somewhat fatalistic.
Agreed I honestly would put money on it that our next multiple year starter will have better career stats than Josh. May not be as physically gifted
poke_addict
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 am Ghaifan might be lowkey the best defensive player in the conference.
Our entire D line is pretty stacked. I think they are the best unit in the MWC. Ghaifan is definitely at another level though. I feel their are quite a few guys on our defense that will play in the league.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

dapokes wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 pm You old heads make me laugh w the Wallwork and Welniak as undrafted comps....😂
Fact is, both of those guys had better records and better numbers than Allen. :eek: