Question about clock rules...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Luckily it didn't turn into a catastrophic situation, but it seems like CSU got a free timeout in the final 2 minutes before our last 1st down to seal the game.

Overstreet ran for a 6 yard gain on 1st and 10 from our own 38 when the play was whistled dead because of a penalty on the offense with 1:51 on the clock. Not sure what the penalty was since the ref's mic wasn't working, but CSU declined the penalty to not give us a free down since they were already out of timeouts. After some confusion on where the ball should be placed, the ball was placed where the run ended (45 yard line) and the ref whistled for play to resume. But the game clock didn't start moving until after the snap. The ref didn't swing his arm in the usual motion to start the game clock.

Since CSU declined the penalty, shouldn't it have been treated like a regular run play and the game clock should keep ticking? Or does the fact that a penalty was called on the offense automatically mean the game clock is stopped until the next snap? Does that have anything to do with an "under 2 minutes" rule?
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Doesn't matter if the refs are confused about wtf they're doing, if the clock was running the game would have ended there as long as they took
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 228 times

cali2wyo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:06 pm Luckily it didn't turn into a catastrophic situation, but it seems like CSU got a free timeout in the final 2 minutes before our last 1st down to seal the game.

Overstreet ran for a 6 yard gain on 1st and 10 from our own 38 when the play was whistled dead because of a penalty on the offense with 1:51 on the clock. Not sure what the penalty was since the ref's mic wasn't working, but CSU declined the penalty to not give us a free down since they were already out of timeouts. After some confusion on where the ball should be placed, the ball was placed where the run ended (45 yard line) and the ref whistled for play to resume. But the game clock didn't start moving until after the snap. The ref didn't swing his arm in the usual motion to start the game clock.

Since CSU declined the penalty, shouldn't it have been treated like a regular run play and the game clock should keep ticking? Or does the fact that a penalty was called on the offense automatically mean the game clock is stopped until the next snap? Does that have anything to do with an "under 2 minutes" rule?
I was also wondering about this. I thought it was a penalty on CSU because they marched off 5 yards and the clock stayed stopped. I had thought that CSU had called a '4th' timeout and thus incurred the penalty. My understanding is if that was the case, the clock should have been running.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:14 pm I was also wondering about this. I thought it was a penalty on CSU because they marched off 5 yards and the clock stayed stopped. I had thought that CSU had called a '4th' timeout and thus incurred the penalty. My understanding is if that was the case, the clock should have been running.
I don't think that's what happened. Otherwise Bohl would have accepted the penalty and given us a new 1st down and we could run out the clock without needing to gain another 1st. The way the refs went to confirm with Bobo before placing the ball made it seem like it was a penalty on Wyo and CSU had to make a decision to accept/decline.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I thought it was Holding, but somehow it only seemed to be a 5 yard penalty. I suppose it sort of makes sense that the clock stopped, though, even though they declined it.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm I thought it was Holding, but somehow it only seemed to be a 5 yard penalty. I suppose it sort of makes sense that the clock stopped, though, even though they declined it.
It was holding. It would given us 2nd and 20 so we'd have had 2 plays to run clock. They instead chose 3rd and 5 since we gained 5 yards on the play. This way theoretically we only had one more play to run clock and they could have got the ball back with about 45 sec on the clock. Instead we just got the first down and the game was over.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

elfletcho wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm I thought it was Holding, but somehow it only seemed to be a 5 yard penalty. I suppose it sort of makes sense that the clock stopped, though, even though they declined it.
It was holding. It would given us 1st and 20. They instead chose 2nd and 5 since we gained 5 yards on the play.
FIFY.

Do you have any idea on whether the clock should have started on the whistle instead of not until the snap?
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

cali2wyo wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm
elfletcho wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:46 pm
It was holding. It would given us 1st and 20. They instead chose 2nd and 5 since we gained 5 yards on the play.
FIFY.

Do you have any idea on whether the clock should have started on the whistle instead of not until the snap?
It has always been my understanding that the clock should have started ticking at the whistle because the sheep declined the penalty. I very well could be wrong though.

I was flipping out at that very moment until Kellen
willed his way past the chains. Crazy how drastic my emotions can turn in just a few seconds watching the pokes.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

poke_addict wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm I was flipping out at that very moment until Kellen
willed his way past the chains. Crazy how drastic my emotions can turn in just a few seconds watching the pokes.
I think that moment alone should have propelled him to #1 on the depth chart. He was just churning and pushing for every inch, going forward even after contact.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Ask my buddies I was up and down the stairs yelling at the top of my lungs when that clock stopped, WHY'S THAT CLOCK STOPPED, boy I was livid and the most animated that's I've been in years....stupid Zebras
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ARTICLE 3. The referee has broad authority in the timing of the game. He
shall order the game clock or play clock started or stopped whenever either
team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics obviously unfair. This
includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead
in the score. If the game clock is stopped only to complete a penalty for a foul
by the team ahead in the score inside the last two minutes of a half, it will start
on the snap, at the option of the offended team.
Straight from the NCAA rule book. Based on this, my guess is that it doesn't matter whether the penalty was accepted or declined, the clock was stopped until the snap.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

It was played out correctly I believe.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

WestWYOPoke wrote:
in the score. If the game clock is stopped only to complete a penalty for a foul
by the team ahead in the score inside the last two minutes of a half, it will start
Straight from the NCAA rule book. Based on this, my guess is that it doesn't matter whether the penalty was accepted or declined, the clock was stopped until the snap.
So basically, since we committed the penalty we couldn't benefit from it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 am
poke_addict wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:46 pm I was flipping out at that very moment until Kellen
I think that moment alone should have propelled him to #1 on the depth chart. He was just churning and pushing for every inch, going forward even after contact.
I agree totally. I was down right impressed how he was running the ball.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

whyoh wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:58 am
WestWYOPoke wrote:
So basically, since we committed the penalty we couldn't benefit from it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
That's the impression I got as well.