Thoughts at this point in the season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Let's think back a bit. The bowl game vs BYU last year. The first quarter of that game sucked. Why? Because Brian Hill was suspended for missing curfue. We have nearly the same offensive line playing today as we did back in December. I think we would have won that game if he hadn't been suspended for the 1st quarter - and I think we would have lost by about 10 if he hadn't played at all.

How many times last year did we see Wick run - and only get a few yards. He was running with the same o-line that Hill was. Once he was tripped up - he didn't make it too far. Hill on the other hand, it usually took two people to bring him down.

Our o-line is opening up the holes this year - probably even bigger than last year from what I've seen. I think the biggest problem is our backs are hitting them way too slow. I'm seeing quite a few tackles from the LB's. We are starting to see some pretty decent yardage now and then.

So what gives? We lost alot with Hill - he could make mountains out of molehills. We had a running game last year - our backs are very inconsistent right now. Our passing game sucks as we lost a poop load of recievers last year.

It looks like it could gel at any point and we would have a good game. I start to think its gelling - then i see our stats are around 300 yards a game - if that.

Its a weird beast. I enjoy watching our defense do its job. Ol Granderson is a beast. Cordzar tonight reminded me of Hill - just elusive.

Whats your thoughts?
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

we are going to be really bad the next few years. Defensively we should be okay with some good talent on that side of the ball. But you can't win many games scoring 10-14 PPG

there is NOTHING on the offensive side of the ball that will allow this program to compete with Boise, CSU, SDSU going forward

without Josh, this offense is probably a bottom five unit in the nation. We have not recruited receivers or running backs well at all
Mtpoke89
Ranch Hand

i disagree. Recruiting doesnt seem to be the problem. We picked up some nice recievers and loads of lineman last year with a 4* qb this year. Its the fact we keep picking up 18 year olds. One has to wonder why we dont balance some of the classes out. Im not saying turn to an all jc recruit season but get 18-20 18 year olds and 5-7 jc skill postions recruits. Get some proven guys in here. We have a ton of youth which is good but we need some developed guys as well. I do t think bringing in 5 or so jcs a year will hurt our recruiting classes.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Bohl could have definitely used a juco wr or running back this year.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

My thought at this point in the season is that this team looks nearly identical to Joe Glenn's mid 2000's teams. Defense has been solid and forced a LOT of turnovers, which is the honestly the only reason we won a couple of games. Offense has been near putrid with a few flashes of good here and there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Farther step back on O than I thought. Farther step ahead on D than I thought. At least we didn't fall as far as, BYU, LMAO.

MWC is really bad, maybe the worst it's ever been. We should be able to compete in every game. I think we make a bowl game.

All in all, not a sky is falling year. We need some JUCO help on O for next year. Before anyone starts with all that foundation crap, I heard it 4 years ago with the youngest and worst team in WYO history.

Interesting to see Josh's draft prospect after this year. I think another year is unlikely but certainly more possible than the start of the season. We'll be better than expected next year if we get adequate jc help.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, the line needs help with run blocking, and maybe look for another Brian Hill-esque RB in JUCO? Do that, and the run game opens up. Josh may be back for next year with how lackluster this season is going for him. May want to try once more to get to the MWC Title game.

The defense though, especially the starters, I am very impressed with. Night and day difference from the last bunch of years. Yeah, they have some bend, but they also have a lot of stopping power. At least when we have our starters out there. Bringing in the new DC has been something well needed.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Call me crazy, but I don't think a MW title appearance is totally off the table. BSU and CSU are not going to finish the rest of the season unscathed. It starts with getting over the New Mexico hump (Bohl still winless vs. them), and then rallying at home to beat CSU. Win the next two, and while AFA and Fresno are far from cake walks, this has the recipe for chaos.

Either way, need to win two more to get to a bowl game. That's not what the goal was prior to the season, but reality is no Wyoming coach has gone to back-to-back bowl games this millennium. Again, not an amazing accomplishment, but still a step forward.

Keep in mind, Bohl's ultimate vision wasn't realized at NDSU until year's 8, 9, and 10. It will take at least a few more seasons of solidifying his culture to win at a high level.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

J-Rod wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 pm Call me crazy, but I don't think a MW title appearance is totally off the table. BSU and CSU are not going to finish the rest of the season unscathed. It starts with getting over the New Mexico hump (Bohl still winless vs. them), and then rallying at home to beat CSU. Win the next two, and while AFA and Fresno are far from cake walks, this has the recipe for chaos.

Either way, need to win two more to get to a bowl game. That's not what the goal was prior to the season, but reality is no Wyoming coach has gone to back-to-back bowl games this millennium. Again, not an amazing accomplishment, but still a step forward.

Keep in mind, Bohl's ultimate vision wasn't realized at NDSU until year's 8, 9, and 10. It will take at least a few more seasons of solidifying his culture to win at a high level.
GAWD, I hope you're right. I f-word hate losing especially on that damned blue field!!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think this team is close if you take the emotions out of watching the offense. I am frustrated that the coaching staff didn't try and plug some of the holes on offense this year when a championship is wide open. With the hype around JA you would figure that there was some quality juco receivers available, same goes for running back. This staff has done well with finding juco talent, this would have been the perfect year to go that route.

A bowl game keeps the progress going.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

marcuswyo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm I think this team is close if you take the emotions out of watching the offense. I am frustrated that the coaching staff didn't try and plug some of the holes on offense this year when a championship is wide open. With the hype around JA you would figure that there was some quality juco receivers available, same goes for running back. This staff has done well with finding juco talent, this would have been the perfect year to go that route.
Why didn't they? Completely agree with your statement!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

We need more play makers on offense. That's reality.

Still, we're on track for a bowl game on a team with very few seniors.

We still have a chance at a MWC title, although I don't think we have the play makers to make it this year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Bohl is not a believer in going the juco route. Juco is seen as the quick fix. I would love for us to look harder at juco for some o line help. I think if you have a great line they can make subpar skill positions look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 am Farther step back on O than I thought. Farther step ahead on D than I thought. At least we didn't fall as far as, BYU, LMAO.

MWC is really bad, maybe the worst it's ever been. We should be able to compete in every game. I think we make a bowl game.

All in all, not a sky is falling year. We need some JUCO help on O for next year. Before anyone starts with all that foundation crap, I heard it 4 years ago with the youngest and worst team in WYO history.

Interesting to see Josh's draft prospect after this year. I think another year is unlikely but certainly more possible than the start of the season. We'll be better than expected next year if we get adequate jc help.
Not sure about this statement. The MWC has definitely been worse off than this year. I do agree that we should be a given for a bowl game this year.

On another topic, I don't think Josh should come back for a senior season unless there is something that indicates the O Line will be lightyears ahead of this years line. He has been getting the crap beat out of him EVERY game. Sure, the O line may be better next year, but not convinced it will be enough for Josh to come back for a senior season.

I believe that the skill positions, including QB if Josh leaves, will be solid next year. Defense will be a beast with the returners. We may have the most balanced team overall....next year. If Josh comes back, it will make the team that much better.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

BJC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm I think this team is close if you take the emotions out of watching the offense. I am frustrated that the coaching staff didn't try and plug some of the holes on offense this year when a championship is wide open. With the hype around JA you would figure that there was some quality juco receivers available, same goes for running back. This staff has done well with finding juco talent, this would have been the perfect year to go that route.
Why didn't they? Completely agree with your statement!
Maybe they tried but didn't land the guys they were after. A lot of Juco guys aren't that good and aren't going anywhere. The ones that can actually make a difference at the the D1 level are highly coveted, maybe Bohl and Co recruited some but just couldn't land the right ones.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Your point about not landing the right one is fair especially from a "culture" standpoint.

However, we have more than a few spots filled by guys that can't make a difference at the D1 level, too.

IMO, we need to scour the JUCO ranks to improve some positions immediately. They don't have to be All-Conference potential just better than we have. The ceiling is much lower for improving certain positions than it is for true difference makers.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

At this point, though... where can we fill in with JUCO players who will upgrade? Lots of kids are getting their first year of experience right now, and the probably are getting better week by week.

Then again, we're in dire need of line depth. I don't think we're losing anybody significant enough to create a big hole for next season, but still. Our D-Line has played incredibly well considering all the injuries, but man, with a healthy D-Line with just a little bit of experience, does Boise move the ball in the second half? We had two freshmen trying to hold things up, and they just couldn't.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:40 am we are going to be really bad the next few years. Defensively we should be okay with some good talent on that side of the ball. But you can't win many games scoring 10-14 PPG

there is NOTHING on the offensive side of the ball that will allow this program to compete with Boise, CSU, SDSU going forward

without Josh, this offense is probably a bottom five unit in the nation. We have not recruited receivers or running backs well at all
We have the youngest two deep and starting line-up in the league. Yet, we're 2-1 (1-1 on the road) in the MWC and have the easier part of our schedule in front of us. That includes CSU.....who you seem higher on than I am.

Go Pokes!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:21 pm
HomeOnTheRange wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:40 am we are going to be really bad the next few years. Defensively we should be okay with some good talent on that side of the ball. But you can't win many games scoring 10-14 PPG

We have the youngest two deep and starting line-up in the league. Yet, we're 2-1 (1-1 in the road) in the MWC and have the easier part of our schedule in front of us. That includes CSU.....who you seem higher on than I am.

Go Pokes!
I am not sold on CSU either. Hell I am not really sold on BSU. The beat us so Im not gonna throw a ton of shade but they didn't look that great. Had that game been in Laramie the outcome could easily have swung our way. While painful at times to watch, this team is scrapping and competing and winning games. A win this saturday would go a long way in soothing the aggravation of Boise State and getting us back on track. There is absolutely a chance we win out.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm Had that game been in Laramie the outcome could easily have swung our way.
Had our D-Line remained healthy, I don't think that drive to start the third would've happened. Our defense more or less controlled them despite the injuries, until more injuries and inexperience took over.