Thoughts at this point in the season

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am At this point, though... where can we fill in with JUCO players who will upgrade? Lots of kids are getting their first year of experience right now, and the probably are getting better week by week.
We rank 128th in offense. Only 2 teams are worse. In arguably the worst year in WYO history, we averaged nearly 100 more yards/game than this year. We have MAJOR issues on offense that won't be cured in off-season workouts. Our QB situation will be more inexperienced than this year.

If we don't add some immediate help, I think the offense will struggle again. Maybe even worse. Throwing true Freshman in the current offense will be a disaster.

We have 2 options: keep plugging Freshman and Sophomores in and hoping it works out. Remember 4 years ago when everyone chastised those of us who dared utter the word JUCO? We were the youngest team and you don't do JUCO because of foundations, short-term fixes, and all that crap? 4 years ago was going to pay dividends this year.

Not advocating trying to put square peg in round hole. Just that I think we need to use a little more of our recruiting budget on the JUCO ranks in the next few years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Not sure about this statement. The MWC has definitely been worse off than this year. I do agree that we should be a given for a bowl game this year.
There have been some pretty poor years, so certainly could be debated. Out of curiosity, which do you think is worse?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:52 am At this point, though... where can we fill in with JUCO players who will upgrade? Lots of kids are getting their first year of experience right now, and the probably are getting better week by week.
We rank 128th in offense. Only 2 teams are worse. In arguably the worst year in WYO history, we averaged nearly 100 more yards/game than this year. We have MAJOR issues on offense that won't be cured in off-season workouts. Our QB situation will be more inexperienced than this year.

If we don't add some immediate help, I think the offense will struggle again. Maybe even worse. Throwing true Freshman in the current offense will be a disaster.

We have 2 options: keep plugging Freshman and Sophomores in and hoping it works out. Remember 4 years ago when everyone chastised those of us who dared utter the word JUCO? We were the youngest team and you don't do JUCO because of foundations, short-term fixes, and all that crap? 4 years ago was going to pay dividends this year.

Not advocating trying to put square peg in round hole. Just that I think we need to use a little more of our recruiting budget on the JUCO ranks in the next few years.
Here's where the rubber meets the road. We could easily lose our next 4 games. Since the offense has not scored 20 points against anyone except GW and Texas state, I could see us winning only if we win the turnover battle or get some big special teams play. I actually thought we competed pretty well against Boise. But the defense is wearing out and I wonder how much they will have in the tank for some really good offenses on the horizon. That 18 play drive Boise put on in the 3d quarter seemed to really soften us up. Someone else has brought this up but now I think it's the only way: abandon the running game and just throw on every play.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

We have to beat New Mexico. Looking at Fresno, we're not going to beat them even at home, barring a miracle. SJSU should be a win, and then Air Force and CSU could go either way, because they are always games where logic doesn't always win out.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My posterior extraction derived win probabilities:

SJSU .95
NM .60
AFA .50
CSU .25
FS .20
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 pm My posterior extraction derived win probabilities:

SJSU .95
NM .60
AFA .50
CSU .25
FS .20
Either your ass is full of logic, or this wasn't actually derived by your ass. I might not completely agree with these numbers, but certainly with the order of probability.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm
Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 pm My posterior extraction derived win probabilities:

SJSU .95
NM .60
AFA .50
CSU .25
FS .20
Either your ass is full of logic, or this wasn't actually derived by your ass. I might not completely agree with these numbers, but certainly with the order of probability.
I agree as well.

IMHO, if we lose to the Spartans, we might as well drop football. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:34 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm Had that game been in Laramie the outcome could easily have swung our way.
Had our D-Line remained healthy, I don't think that drive to start the third would've happened. Our defense more or less controlled them despite the injuries, until more injuries and inexperience took over.
We missed Ghaifan.....and when Connor went down we finished the game with TWO true freshman DT's. Thus will help down the line, but allowed Boise to move the ball a little easier in the 2nd half.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SJSU .95
NM .60
AFA .50
CSU .25
FS .20
I'd go with the same order.....but would put both CSU and Fresno close to .500. Still not sure why some are sold on CSU.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pm

True - but this staff has also recruited Brian Hill, Josh Allen, and quite a few other good offensive players. We have quite a few badass defensive recruits maturing right now.

Brian and Josh are special - that is for sure. We have to develop the rest of the talent. Our offense sucked the first few years - it sucked a bit last year - but we still won the division - it sucks bad this year.

Its too bad we lost hill last year. It could have made this year that much more special.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

We are also without Malalula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Joe Glenn 2.0 sorry it's how I see it
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Joe Glenn's 2008 team that got him fired averaged 20 more yards per game than this team, with Chris Sturzheim and Dax Crum at QB, in a much tougher MW conference.....I hope our offense wakes up.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:58 pm Joe Glenn's 2008 team that got him fired averaged 20 more yards per game than this team, with Chris Sturzheim and Dax Crum at QB, in a much tougher MW conference.....I hope our offense wakes up.
He was also 2-5 through 7 games. This years team is 4-3. Ugly or not, were still winning games and are still in position to make noise in the conference championship picture. I agree were ugly at times but were winning more than Glenns team did. I get that it was harder then but we can only play the schedule in front of us. This conversation would look a lot different if we were 1-6 or 2-5 but were not. We as fans wanted a coach who would win games.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

I know I am probably alone on this but I would like to see Milo Hall get a decent shot at rb. The only real shot he was given was with 2 true freshmen lineman and our Right tackle at left gaurd against an Iowa front 7 that was pretty good.
I really think he is the fastest RB that we have. It looked like to me he had it nailed into his head to follow his blockers at all costs and it didn't allow him to show what he can do in space.
I think with the defenses that we have played in the past few weeks (except boise) and the defenses that we are going to face and with the Oline getting better each game (a little) that he would do pretty good. On the one kickoff he had against Boise he looked pretty good in space.
Trey looks so slow and top heavy. He runs straight up and down and goes down easily. They said he looks like Brian Hill but I always think of Hill's first run against Montana and how he punished the guy. I haven't seen Trey Woods do that once. :twocents:
HomeOnTheRange
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:48 pmWe rank 128th in offense. Only 2 teams are worse. In arguably the worst year in WYO history, we averaged nearly 100 more yards/game than this year. We have MAJOR issues on offense that won't be cured in off-season workouts. Our QB situation will be more inexperienced than this year.
Scary stuff.

Need to hire a hell of a S&C coach to get these guys back on the development track they were on with Dennison at the helm.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

128th overall? Didn't realize it was that ugly...and with a QB being projected as a Top 10 pick. :x

Scott Hazelton deserves a raise.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Offense is dog excrement. The defense are my heroes.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

rich22 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:10 pm I know I am probably alone on this but I would like to see Milo Hall get a decent shot at rb. The only real shot he was given was with 2 true freshmen lineman and our Right tackle at left gaurd against an Iowa front 7 that was pretty good.
I really think he is the fastest RB that we have. It looked like to me he had it nailed into his head to follow his blockers at all costs and it didn't allow him to show what he can do in space.
I think with the defenses that we have played in the past few weeks (except boise) and the defenses that we are going to face and with the Oline getting better each game (a little) that he would do pretty good. On the one kickoff he had against Boise he looked pretty good in space.
Trey looks so slow and top heavy. He runs straight up and down and goes down easily. They said he looks like Brian Hill but I always think of Hill's first run against Montana and how he punished the guy. I haven't seen Trey Woods do that once. :twocents:
Hill also lowered the boom and had a natural balance that made him a pain in the ass to tackle. Along with raw power.
poke_addict
Cowpoke
Been liked: 3 times

J-Rod wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm 128th overall? Didn't realize it was that ugly...and with a QB being projected as a Top 10 pick. :x

Scott Hazelton deserves a raise.
Couldn't agree more!