Frustrating

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

With a young team like we have right now this kind of stuff is gonna happen. As upset as I was last night, and still am this morning, the only thing I keep telling myself is that I knew things like this would happen. We all said it before the season started. We all knew the pokes were going to drop games that they should win. We had opportunities all game long to put it away, but couldn't do it. Going 3 and out on that second to last possession was insanely frustrating. Seeing Gentry fumble the ball while fighting for extra yards was even more frustrating. Seeing Josh Allen's complete inability to set up screens when emu's defense had their ears pinned back and running downhill at us was infuriating. Damn frustrating loss, but it's on to sheep state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

kansasCowboy wrote:After we beat Davis this board became extremely optimistic about how we have changed and how we could easily be a bowl team...

We're still very young. And that will play a factor in that you will typically have up and down weeks more so than you will winning streaks. I think these guys will be capable, but I think we're still growing. It also doesn't help when your senior star Wr is putting the ball on the ground and stopping good drives. TWICE!!!
You rely on your older leaders to take charge in games like these. Ours choked last night.
I didn't see who got the penalty when Allens TD was called back, so I can't say much there.
Freshman kicker got a Fg blocked... Not the end of the world. Maulhardt hasn't gotten off good on a snap pretty much all season... Not like he was toward the end of last year. He gets jammed early and his route is off most of the time.
The majority of the play calling on both sides was good enough to win. The lack of execution either by OLine or being out of position in coverage almost every play will kill ANY play called. There were some bad play calls, I won't say there weren't. But each side seemed called overly well. But I'm sure that the team that hit the field against NIU would've destroyed EMU last night with the same play calling. Difference between the two games... Lack of execution.
While I generally agree with you about lack of execution, one thing makes me question something very fundamental- our third down play on both sides of the ball. Even in the two games we won, it wasn't very good. In my opinion it shows a lack of motivation and preparation on the coaches' parts to not have units able to produce on third downs. Every team has us right where they want us when they have a third and long, or when we have a third and short. These should be high percentage plays and conversions for any team that calls itself competitive. The coaches own this as much as the players...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:After we beat Davis this board became extremely optimistic about how we have changed and how we could easily be a bowl team...

We're still very young. And that will play a factor in that you will typically have up and down weeks more so than you will winning streaks. I think these guys will be capable, but I think we're still growing. It also doesn't help when your senior star Wr is putting the ball on the ground and stopping good drives. TWICE!!!
You rely on your older leaders to take charge in games like these. Ours choked last night.
I didn't see who got the penalty when Allens TD was called back, so I can't say much there.
Freshman kicker got a Fg blocked... Not the end of the world. Maulhardt hasn't gotten off good on a snap pretty much all season... Not like he was toward the end of last year. He gets jammed early and his route is off most of the time.
The majority of the play calling on both sides was good enough to win. The lack of execution either by OLine or being out of position in coverage almost every play will kill ANY play called. There were some bad play calls, I won't say there weren't. But each side seemed called overly well. But I'm sure that the team that hit the field against NIU would've destroyed EMU last night with the same play calling. Difference between the two games... Lack of execution.
While I generally agree with you about lack of execution, one thing makes me question something very fundamental- our third down play on both sides of the ball. Even in the two games we won, it wasn't very good. In my opinion it shows a lack of motivation and preparation on the coaches' parts to not have units able to produce on third downs. Every team has us right where they want us when they have a third and long, or when we have a third and short. These should be high percentage plays and conversions for any team that calls itself competitive. The coaches own this as much as the players...
I will completely agree with you. I think we should have some better play calls on 3rd down. When you are at 3rd and anywhere up to 4 yards to go, your entire playbook is pretty much open, even a dive when you have a threat like Hill in the backfield. 5 to 10 yards, and you become quite limited. In this offense play action is your best bet, because you have the opportunity to pass or qb scramble. And with Allens speed, that is also a viable option.
I have not always disagreed with the majority of the play calls and probably would've called the same myself. But miscues between line and blocking assignments or reads by the qb or even lack of getting space by the wrs has stopped is many times on 3rd down. It becoming more apparent that we need to be more in sync on those plays. Sometimes Allen looks more jittery on 3rd down plays and his accuracy is off. Or he fires an un catchable bullet pass. Sometimes the wr just drops the freakin ball! Other times the OLine does not hold their block long enough and Allen is trying for more time. I watched it many times. The D steps up their intensity and we backdown most of the time.
3rd and 11+, you generally have to pass. But, and I will give Vigen credit, when the D is expecting pass on 3rd and 11 and we gave it to Hill up the middle for 5. He has broken those before. And everyone here who was cussing that play call would've been singing praises to Hill and Vigen for getting 11 yards on the ground. It was a risk. They had stopped us on the run most of the game and they were in pass coverage. "Trickery" that only made it half way. It was a good and solid call. It just failed.
Every coordinators job depends on one thing... "Execution"

You go out and call your plays, but you leave that play in the hands of the players. All 11 of them to do their job to a T. If they don't do it, you don't move the ball. Or on the other side, you don't stop the ball. It's that simple.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:
sol_11 wrote:
a team with an ugly gray field and no fans in the stands.
Aww your team gets their butts kicked by the same team 2 years in a row and all you can do is insult their field and fan base. What a pity

Don't tell me you're an EMU fan gloating right now... Take the win and be humble. You know how bad your program is. Not talking year to year here either. But every year. At least we have a program with a rich history to hang our hats on. What do you have? And this team will rise again. Not like we're the joke of college football. We'll leave that for EMU and Kansas.
The protesters outnumbered their fans. The whole protest was totally mismanaged - they should have never been allowed to be that close to the field.

Poke-proud
Cowpoke

sol_11 wrote:
Aww your team gets their butts kicked by the same team 2 years in a row and all you can do is insult their field and fan base. What a pity
EMU probably made their ticket sales budget for the year with tix sold to all the protestors last night. You at least had a "bit of a crowd".

sol_11
Buckaroo

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
sol_11 wrote:
You're right - trucked us twice, but I'm not sure what we saw in the stands last night would be considered a fan base. A single deck stadium with tarps over move than 50% of the seats and, ahem, plenty of "legroom" between the tens of fans that decided to show up. He didn't insult anyone as this is our home board and he can vent as he sees fit. Isn't your first love playing in Ann Arbor right now?

Nope I'm not a Michigan fan, just an Eastern fan
American Horse
Ranch Hand

It is soooo hard being a WY football fan. I realize I am older than most on here. I can vaguely remember sitting with my parents during some Eaton years but clearly remember from Shurmur on. I can only handle being let down and disappointed so many times. I knew we wouldn't be great this year but to be not only beat by EMU but to be manhandled by them is getting to be too much. And we were manhandled. This game was not as close as the score indicates. I will agree we are improving. However at this rate of "improvement" it looks like it will be about the year 2097 before we will see an 8-9 win season. Frustrated? You bet.
cowboyz backer
Buckaroo

kansasCowboy wrote:
sol_11 wrote:

Don't tell me you're an EMU fan gloating right now... Take the win and be humble. You know how bad your program is. Not talking year to year here either. But every year. At least we have a program with a rich history to hang our hats on. What do you have? And this team will rise again. Not like we're the joke of college football. We'll leave that for EMU and Kansas.
Unfortunately, that rich history was before I was born.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

DVDA wrote:Did everyone forget how bad this team was last year? These guys are significantly improved from last years team that would have struggled with Black Hills State. This team is competing with everyone which is a big step forward from last year. I'm not making excuses for the pathetic showing last night, but this team is making progress. I am frustrated with last nights performance since it should have been a comfortable win.I'm not going to give up on this regime quite yet though.
Are we even sure that we are better than last year? We beat an absolute garbage NIU team in double OT thanks to some very fortunate bounces, beat a hapless FCS team, got boat raced by Nebraska and just got out gained by 200 yards by Eastern Michigan. Our third down offense and defense remains absolutely atrocious.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

calpoke25 wrote:
DVDA wrote:Did everyone forget how bad this team was last year? These guys are significantly improved from last years team that would have struggled with Black Hills State. This team is competing with everyone which is a big step forward from last year. I'm not making excuses for the pathetic showing last night, but this team is making progress. I am frustrated with last nights performance since it should have been a comfortable win.I'm not going to give up on this regime quite yet though.
Are we even sure that we are better than last year? We beat an absolute garbage NIU team in double OT thanks to some very fortunate bounces, beat a hapless FCS team, got boat raced by Nebraska and just got out gained by 200 yards by Eastern Michigan. Our third down offense and defense remains absolutely atrocious.
Exactly my point. I don't see fundamentally sound football being played. This team is still missing something very basic to being competitive.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

calpoke25 wrote:
Yes, better for sure. Just not that much better.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

yopaulie wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:
Yes, better for sure. Just not that much better.
I agree, no doubt were better. That's why that loss last nite is so frustrating.

johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Yup, I was at this game. Myself and about 4,000 apathetic fans. Up 17-3, put the pedal down and allow Allen to use his assets & this game is 'in the bag'. Unfortunately imo, Vigen went vanilla. 3 & out was the playbook. Tanner drop came after he got trucked on mid field hi/low hit. Eagles sideline was shouting run every time Hill or Wick got a touch. Wick is running the ball like a 6th grade pop warner creeper. He's not the same player he was prior to head injury. We still have plenty of chances to win that game, Allen careening thru air only to be denied a spectacular effort. Cooper, coming out on the field only to drive the ball at head level into D line. Drop another pick at their 30, only to force a punt. Then Vigen pulling out the same playbook for another heartless attempt on a 3 & out.

The protesters walked, 15 abreast arm in arm around the south endzone at halftime, in a 'freedom' spirited effort to bring focus to the black lives matter mantra. They clearly wanted to take the field- yet were detained and quite civil in their contemptuous efforts to gain notoriety.
Interestingly, some professorial types were applauding their vain efforts, as they sipped their beers and ate their meatball subs. In that moment of truth, they swooned self righteous.
The kids (black, white, latino) clearly had a purpose, and although they raised their voices, they remained civil & non violent.

The distraction mattered not one iota on the outcome of the game. Pokes blew a great opportunity to avenge the debacle last year. EMU, wanted the game more, displayed more passion in the crucial moments and the Cowboy Diesel rig left silently in the cool Michigan night. I did the same. We failed to fire all our bullets, another lost cause.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I mean, yes, our D gave up a lot of yards, but isn't that bound to happen when you play aggressive like that? Sure, there's room for improvement - two touchdowns wouldn't have happened if a certain corner had just turned his head around.

As far as results go for the defense, though, I'll happily take their outcome 10 times out of 10, that is, giving up 27 points and scoring 14 (yeah, I give the extra points to the D, because most people credit them to the O when they score) is a net of -13. If our offense scores less than 13 in ANY game, we're in trouble. We should EXPECT at least 20 from them in ALL games.
I agree. We couldn't get the run game to open up. Looked like it was starting to happen when we would do some PA bootlegs - but they quickly caught on to that.

The defense got the ball back 4 times - scored two of the times. Our offense had some many 3 and shorts and didn't convert. We left 2 or 3 TD's off the field on offense.

This game sucks. We could have one that pretty big - but so could have EMU. We had the lead most of the game. Our execution gave that game away.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

yeah when I/we see good things why do the bad things tend to outweigh the good??? I just don't get it