Nebraska Experience

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

The stadium is cool and big. However, our scoreboard is better.

Not as loud as I thought it would be for 90k people.

Football is literally a religion in Nebraska complete with shrines and alters.

Population (especially in York, NE) is old! Never seen so many old people in my life.

Fans/people are generally really nice. I was impressed with their fans. Good people.

They have lots of weird traditions - taking a shoe off during kickoff, calling their program "Big Red" (sooo stupid), calling the defense "Black Shirts" (equally as dumb) and that pig chant "Goooo Biiiiiig Re-ed" followed by "Go Big Red" was annoying beyond belief. But when you've got national championships I guess you can get away with it.

I literally see no advantages to living in the Midwest. Maybe if you are a farmer or like deciduous trees. If I lived in NE the first thing I would do is move farther west.

They have the wave down! Fast, slow, change of directions, super fast, super slow - they can do it all.

Their campus is big, but not as beautiful as ours. The more campuses I see the more I like ours.

Too much driving.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Nothing will top Denver's incomplete chant for the stupidest chant ever.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I love how they haven't even won a conference championship since 1999
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:I literally see no advantages to living in the Midwest. Maybe if you are a farmer or like deciduous trees. If I lived in NE the first thing I would do is move farther west.
I'm very close to doing this. It wasn't until I semi-regularly started visiting Montana over the past few years that I noticed how bland it is out here in the Midwest.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I literally see no advantages to living in the Midwest. Maybe if you are a farmer or like deciduous trees. If I lived in NE the first thing I would do is move farther west.
I'm very close to doing this. It wasn't until I semi-regularly started visiting Montana over the past few years that I noticed how bland it is out here in the Midwest.
:thumb: Life is nice out here.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

The show thing is pretty obvious, it's pretty neat and improves the atmosphere of the stadium.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

It took off when Nebraska's kicking game got serious swag and can bomb any football to China.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

loudness also depends on how the stadium is built. The big house isn't that loud for its capacity because the sound escapes too easily.
NebraskaCowboy
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote:Fans/people are generally really nice. I was impressed with their fans. Good people.
I'm slightly biased in this statement due to my growing up in Nebraska but my dislike for most Husker fans has been proven in both trips Wyoming has made to Lincoln. As a 22 who went out with another Cowboy fan and friends who are Huskers fans, I heard many negative comments in passing about the Cowboys including statements such as "F*** em" and "oh they suck." Them being great fans is vastly overrated and are only bearable when they are victors.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

I have been to Memorial Stadium quite a few times. I like much of the tradition and generally found the fans to be nice...one bought me water and hot dogs after a 20 minute wait for concessions, which was very nice of him.

Other than being big and full, which are both impressive, Memorial is treacherous to get into and out of. It took us 20 minutes to get to our seats. Concessions are inadequate, at least in the end zones, and restrooms are old and inadequate, especially for the ladies. If there was an emergency, everyone would die as there is no way to get out, at least that's how I felt. Seems that with the new additions, they are polishing a turd...and that is not from me, but my very loyal Husker fan father in law.

Other than the guy in line buying me stuff, which again, was great, I found folks to be nice, but almost forced and saccharin...like they don't want to be, but are out of obligation. And when we got within 7, the niceties stopped and were replaced with cold shoulders, nasty quips about little brother getting uppity and glares, even at my 9 year old who couldn't get enough of calling Armstrong "Turnover Tommy". :twisted:

I don't need to go back and have now left any sense that I cheer for Nebraska in the past (I was raised a Husker fan as both sides of my family are from Nebraska). The half and half shirt clad folks (brown and red) and guys with a Nebraska shirt and Wyoming hat are sort of maddening. I say pick a team and go with it. And my team is Wyoming. Nebraska has enough fans...so those that wear half and half gear appear, at least to me, to be wannabe Huskers...to fit in a little while trying to signal that they like Wyoming too. Others have already been taken to task for this view, but I now share it. I used to be one of those guys and I admit today that I was wanting to appear part of the club, while cheering for Wyoming. Like the football managers, of which I was one, wearing a jersey to appear like a member of the team...you aren't one and are making a fool of yourself when you try. Even my Husker father in law only wore Wyoming gear...to appease my wife and my boys and because he really likes Bohl. I asked if he wanted to wear a Husker hat at least...and he just smirked and said..."those types drive me nuts."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

NebraskaCowboy wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Fans/people are generally really nice. I was impressed with their fans. Good people.
I'm slightly biased in this statement due to my growing up in Nebraska but my dislike for most Husker fans has been proven in both trips Wyoming has made to Lincoln. As a 22 who went out with another Cowboy fan and friends who are Huskers fans, I heard many negative comments in passing about the Cowboys including statements such as "F*** em" and "oh they suck." Them being great fans is vastly overrated and are only bearable when they are victors.
Perhaps they were so nice only because they felt like they were going to kick our ass. I kinda got that feeling, but who knows.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

Come on let's face it, nobody like hearing rogue cheers while their team is losing. I was in the stands as a kid when Ricky Williams tore NU a new one and the Husker fans got up, clapped, and chanted "Heisman!" at least you guys don't get negative reactions for attending Broncos games, unlike me and my buddy (who happens to be a 'Sker) CU fans still aren't over the spanking they gave NU in 2001.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

SDPokeFan wrote:Nothing will top Denver's incomplete chant for the stupidest chant ever.
Totally agree, this is the NFL not a glorified high school football game/chant, enough already.....
As for my visit to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln in 2013, besides the God awful humidity, was one entrance to the NE part of the stadium in was in, felt like ants in an anthill, 1 damn exit/entrance, stupid...overall the fans were cool and wanting Brett Smith as they had Taylor Martinez at the time, the bus ride back to the parking lot, fans were fun and quizitive etc.. I didn't have any problems, glad I took my folks but glad I didn't go this past weekend to see that game I would flipped during that 4th Quarter, 2013's 4th Quarter was way better. Nebraska is a fun to place to visit, from a distance LOL
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LawPoke wrote:I have been to Memorial Stadium quite a few times. I like much of the tradition and generally found the fans to be nice...one bought me water and hot dogs after a 20 minute wait for concessions, which was very nice of him.

Other than being big and full, which are both impressive, Memorial is treacherous to get into and out of. It took us 20 minutes to get to our seats. Concessions are inadequate, at least in the end zones, and restrooms are old and inadequate, especially for the ladies. If there was an emergency, everyone would die as there is no way to get out, at least that's how I felt. Seems that with the new additions, they are polishing a turd...and that is not from me, but my very loyal Husker fan father in law.

Other than the guy in line buying me stuff, which again, was great, I found folks to be nice, but almost forced and saccharin...like they don't want to be, but are out of obligation. And when we got within 7, the niceties stopped and were replaced with cold shoulders, nasty quips about little brother getting uppity and glares, even at my 9 year old who couldn't get enough of calling Armstrong "Turnover Tommy". :twisted:

I don't need to go back and have now left any sense that I cheer for Nebraska in the past (I was raised a Husker fan as both sides of my family are from Nebraska). The half and half shirt clad folks (brown and red) and guys with a Nebraska shirt and Wyoming hat are sort of maddening. I say pick a team and go with it. And my team is Wyoming. Nebraska has enough fans...so those that wear half and half gear appear, at least to me, to be wannabe Huskers...to fit in a little while trying to signal that they like Wyoming too. Others have already been taken to task for this view, but I now share it. I used to be one of those guys and I admit today that I was wanting to appear part of the club, while cheering for Wyoming. Like the football managers, of which I was one, wearing a jersey to appear like a member of the team...you aren't one and are making a fool of yourself when you try. Even my Husker father in law only wore Wyoming gear...to appease my wife and my boys and because he really likes Bohl. I asked if he wanted to wear a Husker hat at least...and he just smirked and said..."those types drive me nuts."
I almost got annoyed by how nice they were. Felt like we were in Canada. My brother was wearing a screw corn shirt and didn't get a single bit of flack. Didn't feel right.

And totally agree on the half and half shirts. You're either all in with the pokes or just keep being a frontrunner and wear your husker gear.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

SDPokeFan wrote:Nothing will top Denver's incomplete chant for the stupidest chant ever.
Totally disagree! I love the incomplete chant. Get in to the opposing QB's head all game long.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I think fan bases need to be more welcoming like Husker fans. I loved the hospitality. A fan bought us drinks. The band played part of Ragtime Cowboy Joe at the start. Everyone around me had nothing but good to say to us and the whole section gave the pokes applause as the team left the field all dejected. I didn't have one rude comment in three days out there. And I enjoyed Omaha/Lincoln overall. Sorry that some of you didn't have the same experience. It was one of the most welcoming games I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Yeah their fans treated us well overall. You know where else the opposing fans have treated us well? Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, and probably more. And those teams don't constantly talk about how great they are as fan. So kudos to NU fans for being nice but shut the #$&% up about it.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

joshvanklomp wrote:
After living in both Wyoming and Nebraska, I think the Midwest is underrated. I think people who complain about the lack of mountains in the Midwest have not really thought about what mountains do to the weather. We can almost predict snow in all but three months of the year. The wind here in Wyoming is ferocious. And I don't know if people who hate on the Midwest compared to living in Wyoming really recognize that we basically have to give up having outdoor swimming pools for summer vacation.

I am a farmer from Wyoming and I was almost completely out of place attending classes at the UW College of Ag. Most of the research and instruction seemed to focus on how to stop raising grain, not how to do it better.

In addition, Nebraska raises substantially more cattle than Wyoming does. We can mock the Nebraska corn farmers all we want on here, but there are more cowboys in Nebraska and cows are a bigger part of Nebraska's economy and life than they are here in Wyoming. Nebraska's university-based public television even used to broadcast the Nebraska High School Finals Rodeo when I was a kid. I don't remember Wyoming's university-based public TV doing anything like that.

I attended UW for undergraduate school and Nebraska for grad school. I think they both had a great deal to offer. I am a Pokes fan first and foremost. However, I cannot stand when people have to hate on Nebraska to make themselves feel superior for living in Wyoming.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyoExpat wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
After living in both Wyoming and Nebraska, I think the Midwest is underrated. I think people who complain about the lack of mountains in the Midwest have not really thought about what mountains do to the weather. We can almost predict snow in all but three months of the year. The wind here in Wyoming is ferocious. And I don't know if people who hate on the Midwest compared to living in Wyoming really recognize that we basically have to give up having outdoor swimming pools for summer vacation.

I am a farmer from Wyoming and I was almost completely out of place attending classes at the UW College of Ag. Most of the research and instruction seemed to focus on how to stop raising grain, not how to do it better.

In addition, Nebraska raises substantially more cattle than Wyoming does. We can mock the Nebraska corn farmers all we want on here, but there are more cowboys in Nebraska and cows are a bigger part of Nebraska's economy and life than they are here in Wyoming. Nebraska's university-based public television even used to broadcast the Nebraska High School Finals Rodeo when I was a kid. I don't remember Wyoming's university-based public TV doing anything like that.

I attended UW for undergraduate school and Nebraska for grad school. I think they both had a great deal to offer. I am a Pokes fan first and foremost. However, I cannot stand when people have to hate on Nebraska to make themselves feel superior for living in Wyoming.
That was one of my qualifiers: Ag, farming. Of course if ag is your main focus then it would be better to live in NE.

But if you don't like Wyoming weather why wouldn't you just move to Colorado or Utah where the weather is "nicer". Or move to Lander, Riverton or Sheridan where the wind doesn't blow? Bighorn basin, maybe? I still don't get it. You can do ag in all those places I just mentioned, too. No public land is such a huge downer. No mountains sucks.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

WyoExpat wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:

I live in Minnesota...I think I can handle winter in the mountains. Similar situation with winds, as I'm under an hour away from what's known as Buffalo Ridge. And really, I'm not looking to go all the way up into the mountains. But I would like to see some. The area I'm looking at is like 3300 elevation....still a considerable difference from the 1100 elevation I'm living in now. From my family out there, their winters are still tamer than Minnesota's winters.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo