Nebraska Experience

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

3300 feet is like below most of Wyoming. lol
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

I don't understand why Wyo isn't cattle country. Based off the Forkwood soil series (Wyo's state soil) the soil is intermittently moist throughout the course of the year, and the soil is a fine loam. The only downside is it seems Wyoming's soils is poorly developed is all.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:3300 feet is like below most of Wyoming. lol
Elevation is nothing to brag about, my dirt bikes are down on HP at those heights :lol:
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It's at the foot of the mountains. So I'd be getting the benefits of the mountain views without quite the same weather extremes.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BigSkyBears
Buckaroo

djm19 wrote:I think fan bases need to be more welcoming like Husker fans. I loved the hospitality. A fan bought us drinks. The band played part of Ragtime Cowboy Joe at the start. Everyone around me had nothing but good to say to us and the whole section gave the pokes applause as the team left the field all dejected. I didn't have one rude comment in three days out there. And I enjoyed Omaha/Lincoln overall. Sorry that some of you didn't have the same experience. It was one of the most welcoming games I have ever been to, and I have been to a lot.

That is good to read about. I think it is more and more difficult to bring families to sporting events, especially young kids. Yet, Nebraska seems pretty ideal. Good to see Nebraska people are respectful.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WyoExpat wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:I literally see no advantages to living in the Midwest. Maybe if you are a farmer or like deciduous trees. If I lived in NE the first thing I would do is move farther west.
I'm very close to doing this. It wasn't until I semi-regularly started visiting Montana over the past few years that I noticed how bland it is out here in the Midwest.
After living in both Wyoming and Nebraska, I think the Midwest is underrated. I think people who complain about the lack of mountains in the Midwest have not really thought about what mountains do to the weather. We can almost predict snow in all but three months of the year. The wind here in Wyoming is ferocious. And I don't know if people who hate on the Midwest compared to living in Wyoming really recognize that we basically have to give up having outdoor swimming pools for summer vacation.

I am a farmer from Wyoming and I was almost completely out of place attending classes at the UW College of Ag. Most of the research and instruction seemed to focus on how to stop raising grain, not how to do it better.

In addition, Nebraska raises substantially more cattle than Wyoming does. We can mock the Nebraska corn farmers all we want on here, but there are more cowboys in Nebraska and cows are a bigger part of Nebraska's economy and life than they are here in Wyoming. Nebraska's university-based public television even used to broadcast the Nebraska High School Finals Rodeo when I was a kid. I don't remember Wyoming's university-based public TV doing anything like that.

I attended UW for undergraduate school and Nebraska for grad school. I think they both had a great deal to offer. I am a Pokes fan first and foremost. However, I cannot stand when people have to hate on Nebraska to make themselves feel superior for living in Wyoming.
There is much more variation in climates in the Mountain States, for better or for worse. While Laramie, Cheyenne, Casper, Rawlins, etc. certainly experience the wind you speak of, many areas of WY and MT (Sheridan, Lander, Missoula, etc.) have much less wind than most of NE (especially western NE). The altitude has a number of impacts on the climate, but while the likelihood of May snow for example is much higher, there are benefits such as a cool, dry summer (summer in Omaha is miserable if you aren't used to the humidity).

I have lived in KS, ND, WY, CO, and TX and I can honestly say that I never measured the quality of life by how many head of cattle were being raised in the area (I might suggest an inverse correlation as a matter of fact...).

I don't live in WY or NE, but if I had my choice it would be an easy decision.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:
It's at the foot of the mountains. So I'd be getting the benefits of the mountain views without quite the same weather extremes.
A lot of great areas in MT. My second favorite state. A lot of pretty areas with more modest elevations (Missoula, Kalispell, etc.). Those areas do get quite a bit of snow, but no big deal compared to Minnesota.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

NowherePoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
A lot of great areas in MT. My second favorite state. A lot of pretty areas with more modest elevations (Missoula, Kalispell, etc.). Those areas do get quite a bit of snow, but no big deal compared to Minnesota.
Missoula sits in a valley and is surrounded by mountains in all directions.. very little wind, and surprisingly, not a lot of snow.. at least, less than you'd think. However, winter lasts for eight months.. gray as F here for so much of the year.
ImageImageImageImage
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Missoula sits in a valley and is surrounded by mountains in all directions.. very little wind, and surprisingly, not a lot of snow.. at least, less than you'd think. However, winter lasts for eight months.. gray as F here for so much of the year.
True, I have lived in TX too long, it's changed my perception of "quite a bit of snow". I have spent a lot more time in Kalispell than Missoula and I think they get quite a bit more snow. Definitely gets some of that Pacific NW cloud cover compared to the sunnier areas in southern WY and the CO front range, but all in all a pretty decent climate.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

NowherePoke wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
NowherePoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
True, I have lived in TX too long, it's changed my perception of "quite a bit of snow". I have spent a lot more time in Kalispell than Missoula and I think they get quite a bit more snow. Definitely gets some of that Pacific NW cloud cover compared to the sunnier areas in southern WY and the CO front range, but all in all a pretty decent climate.
Kalispell gets some lake effect snow from Flathead Lake. Pretty gray up there too.. it gets depressing. I usually leave mid-winter for somewhere sunny for a week just to remember what it looks like.
ImageImageImageImage
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

Can we scale devil's tower without getting trouble with the law?! :lol:
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Kimball_Ne_Cowboy wrote:Can we scale devil's tower without getting trouble with the law?! :lol:
You can, actually. They won't let you put any new anchors in, but people climb Devil's Tower all the time!
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

WYO1016 wrote:
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy wrote:Can we scale devil's tower without getting trouble with the law?! :lol:
You can, actually. They won't let you put any new anchors in, but people climb Devil's Tower all the time!
Yeah, this isn't Red Rocks outside Denver ($600 fine for walking on sandstone, yeesh). Though leave the giant flying cars at home, some rich tourists came with theirs in the 70's and caused all sorts of havoc.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

One thing Nebraskans and Wyo natives share in common is when there's snow in the rural areas, the driver usually exclaims "hold my beer and watch this S***!"
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

Kimball_Ne_Cowboy wrote:One thing Nebraskans and Wyo natives share in common is when there's snow in the rural areas, the driver usually exclaims "hold my beer and watch this S***!"
:rofl: :rofl:

Whereas here in Oklahoma....as soon as one little snowflake hits the ground, the whole city goes crazy like it's the end of the world!!!!! Okies have no guts for winter. And don't get me started when there's ice on the streets! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

NU just beat Oregon.... damn did not see that coming. Maybe our loss wasn't as bad as originally thought
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:NU just beat Oregon.... damn did not see that coming. Maybe our loss wasn't as bad as originally thought
I was thinking the same thing.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

The way some of the top teams are falling, Nebraska might be making a run.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

I made a return trip to Lincoln for this game. Hate to say it, but Nebraska fans were 10x louder during this game than they ever were against us. It was a very fun game to be at anyways. The student section was packed at 10 am for this game, and Oregon pulled a classy gesture by putting flowers on the 27 years line which was cool.
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I was born and raised in WY but now live in NE. All my immediate family is still in WY. If I had my choice (and I will in a few years) of where I want to live, the decision is easy. While NE isn't bad, it can't hold a candle to good Ol' WY. Going back to the original topic of the "Nebraska experience" I will say it is generally a positive one.....as long as NU wins. As has been said access is not great and tailgating very cramped. The stadium is impressive but definetly in need of some updates. I have been to quite a few games over the years and the fans are usually very nice and polite if extremely arrogant. I have been there for a few NU losses and the atmosphere is quite different at those times. One game in particular I remember was the beat down OK ST. gave them 10-12 years ago. Fans were downright ugly to the OK ST fans that day.