To everyone in Wyoming who flies a Nebraska Flag:

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Jawja
Buckaroo

Wyovanian wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote:lol I love this and I agree, I can't stand Wyoming natives that bleed red over gold
It's an inferiority issue when someone hitches their identity to "winners" they have no actual connection to...
Or to any team of which you are not a part. Win or lose, at the end of the day it affects me not.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I was one of these people in my younger days. My dad was in the service, so we spent my middle school years in Texas (where my parents are both from and live now), and I fell in love with Texas A&M. We moved to Powell for my high school years, and I graduated there. Didn't wear a single bit of brown and gold throughout high school. Even had my senior pictures taken in A&M gear.

I chose to attend UW for a lot reasons, but mostly because of the academic scholarship I was offered (similar to Hathaway, but called something else back then). I joined the band at UW, but I was the guy who wore my A&M hat to basketball games - in the band. Sometime during basketball season of my freshman year, they made us all wear UW gear if we wore any at all. I knew this was directed at me, and realized that it was reasonable since the band was on TV some. So I bought a UW hat, but only wore it to the games.

But something else started to happen during that year. I got involved in other activities on campus, attended every football and basketball game and realized how much fun they could be (even in a loss), made life-long friends, had a blast in the dorms, and realized what I could do with my future with a degree from UW. I started to forget about A&M and began to fall in love with UW. By the end of my freshman year, I was wearing that UW hat everywhere, and had pretty much forgotten about the A&M gear.

Over the next six years (hey, I got two degrees!!) I really did fall in love with UW, have attended most of the home games and many road games for both football and basketball, even though we moved to Northern Colorado after graduation, and am a die-hard Cowboy fan. Our girls are growing up to love the Cowboys and UW as well, and I've never looked back. I still have that original hat, even though I've bought several since then.

So it is possible to turn those folks (especially students) into UW fans. But it takes a concerted effort from many parties, including a decent team and a fun game-day atmosphere. Maybe I was the outlier, but I don't think so.

See y'all on the 17th, with that old hat on.

GO POKES!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 144 times

wellpoke wrote:I was one of these people in my younger days. My dad was in the service, so we spent my middle school years in Texas (where my parents are both from and live now), and I fell in love with Texas A&M. We moved to Powell for my high school years, and I graduated there. Didn't wear a single bit of brown and gold throughout high school. Even had my senior pictures taken in A&M gear.

I chose to attend UW for a lot reasons, but mostly because of the academic scholarship I was offered (similar to Hathaway, but called something else back then). I joined the band at UW, but I was the guy who wore my A&M hat to basketball games - in the band. Sometime during basketball season of my freshman year, they made us all wear UW gear if we wore any at all. I knew this was directed at me, and realized that it was reasonable since the band was on TV some. So I bought a UW hat, but only wore it to the games.

But something else started to happen during that year. I got involved in other activities on campus, attended every football and basketball game and realized how much fun they could be (even in a loss), made life-long friends, had a blast in the dorms, and realized what I could do with my future with a degree from UW. I started to forget about A&M and began to fall in love with UW. By the end of my freshman year, I was wearing that UW hat everywhere, and had pretty much forgotten about the A&M gear.

Over the next six years (hey, I got two degrees!!) I really did fall in love with UW, have attended most of the home games and many road games for both football and basketball, even though we moved to Northern Colorado after graduation, and am a die-hard Cowboy fan. Our girls are growing up to love the Cowboys and UW as well, and I've never looked back. I still have that original hat, even though I've bought several since then.

So it is possible to turn those folks (especially students) into UW fans. But it takes a concerted effort from many parties, including a decent team and a fun game-day atmosphere. Maybe I was the outlier, but I don't think so.

See y'all on the 17th, with that old hat on.

GO POKES!
Jesus, you still have your hat? I wear my favorites until they peel away from the brim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
American Horse
Ranch Hand

I am a native Wyoming man now living in Nebraska. I will be watching the game Sat. at my favorite watering hole proudly wearing my WY gear. After the "Go Big Red" chant quiets down I will stand and let them hear "W-Y-O!" I will say that the Nebraska fans won't mug me, most will laugh and some will even applaud. I agree with the above comments. I hate traitors. Go Wyo. Make us all proud.
PCB
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:
KG Skerz wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Nebraska is a poor man's IOWA. a pathetic state with pathetic people.
Lol id love to hear your reasoning on all three statements you made. Really a bad look you are making for Wyoming fans because the last time we played you guys, we had a really good time tailgating with several very nice cowboys fans. I think ill keep this screen shot sir. Thanks for the class. :thumb:
Never associate lakesbison with Wyoming people. He's an NDSU fan who's been banned from every message board he's ever looked at.
Then why isn't he banned from this board?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

PCB wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
KG Skerz wrote:
lakesbison wrote:Nebraska is a poor man's IOWA. a pathetic state with pathetic people.
Lol id love to hear your reasoning on all three statements you made. Really a bad look you are making for Wyoming fans because the last time we played you guys, we had a really good time tailgating with several very nice cowboys fans. I think ill keep this screen shot sir. Thanks for the class. :thumb:
Never associate lakesbison with Wyoming people. He's an NDSU fan who's been banned from every message board he's ever looked at.
Hasn't made as much of a pest of himself here as other places. On the MWCBoard, he has a thread a couple dozen pages long wondering why NDSU isn't in the MWC.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

GOWYO wrote:If you grew up here, turn in your license plate. You are a traitor and have no business here. You certainly are not welcome at Wyoming Athletic Events. I know who you are. You're that bandwagon kind of fan who just can't identify with Wyoming athletics because there haven't been enough wins. Maybe you WANT to be a Cowboy fan. And you say you are a Cowboy fan in certain circles. But you wear that f-ing Nebraska poop just because they happen to be the nearest big-time football school to have had some consistent success over the years. You are Benedict Arnold. I saw you and all of your kind in War Memorial in 2011. You were so excited to show your Wyoming friends that you had made the right choice. I was the guy yelling at you. If you are from Nebraska, and live in Wyoming, this post isn't about you. If you have lived in southeastern Wyoming all your life and have all that red poop, you're the guy I'm talking about. Go pick some corn.
Or sometimes it is as simple as a Wyoming native who attended school at Nebraska-Lincoln to pursue a degree not offered at the University of Wyoming but who then returned home to Wyoming. Personally, I was UNLPoke on the other board because I went to UW for undergrad and UNL for grad school. It is not about being a trator or not. Some people just legitimately have a foot in both camps.

That said, Go Pokes!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
PCB wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:
KG Skerz wrote:
Hasn't made as much of a pest of himself here as other places. On the MWCBoard, he has a thread a couple dozen pages long wondering why NDSU isn't in the MWC.
Also because this board is chill af........iirc I've only ever seen one permaban on here and that assist was trolling around for quite awhile before he posted a pic of someone's schlong, that caused his ban

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
Jawja
Buckaroo

Down here we see GT flags, Dawgs flags, Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Gators, you name it. Heck our GA license plates have options for special designs with just about every SEC team. You just have to get over thinking that everyone has to agree with you and who you root for. People maintain a lot of relationships and connections to schools that may not be apparent. The diversity of the fan bases are what makes them dynamic and exciting. Heck there's a sports bar down here in Alpharetta that gets 100% taken over by Nebraska fans every Saturday..the whole place. The parking lot is full of red (and it aint' Georgia Red). I see nebraska tshirts and bumperstickers at least once a week on my commute....and this is SEC country.