Only one game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: SDSU lost like 40-13 or something.
That was to Dino Babers and EIU though. Not an ordinary FCS team. They were nasty that season.

Still, your point remains. That said, just cause Va Tech/SDSU did it, doesn't mean this Wyo team will.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

This was a und team that (may be good this year) but has been a losing fcs team....not a Montana. ..Montana st...etc...they traveled from basically sea level....Dome team that average single digit k's in attence...come to 7200 ft and do this. Unable to watch the game (whole other issue) but wtf? Scheme? UND suddenly has more talent?....their new coach has more talented players? That quickly? They were a chuck the ball all over the field team with legit wr talent under previous coach.....the talent either graduated or left the team. Saw that in person...etc...then they come to 7200 feat and do that? From my understanding the damn score didn't show the ass woop ing we got.......are you f-word kidding me....d line. ..suddenly lost talent...forgot how to play? Coaching? Wtf was it? All this poop about the weight room etc...get pushed around by a team that has had a losing record in the big sky?.....wonder how many fans show up at the next game?....this one hurts...I'm sure the players feel it...sickens me to hear "we lost to a better team" a damn team picked to finish in the bottom half of the big sky. Even when things went to poop after dimmel left....this didn't happen....$^&&£_=!÷=€

:twocents:
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I was disappointed today, but not totally surprised. We are very young. The coaching staff also did not give out unrealistic expectations prior to today. I also give Bohl credit for his post game interview with Dave and Kevin. Really took responsibility and told the guys they were sugar coating today by saying it was just a tough loss. I think (hope) we will continue to learn and improve as the season continues.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:I was disappointed today, but not totally surprised. We are very young. The coaching staff also did not give out unrealistic expectations prior to today. I also give Bohl credit for his post game interview with Dave and Kevin. Really took responsibility and told the guys they were sugar coating today by saying it was just a tough loss. I think (hope) we will continue to learn and improve as the season continues.
The defense may be young, but the offense has about as much experience as most other MWC offenses. Hell, CSU had two different freshmen score touchdowns today.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:I was disappointed today, but not totally surprised. We are very young. The coaching staff also did not give out unrealistic expectations prior to today. I also give Bohl credit for his post game interview with Dave and Kevin. Really took responsibility and told the guys they were sugar coating today by saying it was just a tough loss. I think (hope) we will continue to learn and improve as the season continues.
The defense may be young, but the offense has about as much experience as most other MWC offenses. Hell, CSU had two different freshmen score touchdowns today.
The thing that hurts me the most about today is what it does for the fan base. Die hard fans will still come, but this loss today will cause the causal fan to not come, especially if they have a decent drive. It's hard to build a fan base with these types of losses.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

It is only one game. But it's one game that proves that Wyoming absolutely can not schedule games against division 2 schools (don't give me the 1 double A answer unless you're going to go correct the 50 posts calling them a big sky team when they aren't in that conference)

You have nothing to gain w a win against a non D1 school (the win doesn't count toward bowl eligibility) and everything to lose. This loss today was against e Michigan everybody says oh well maybe we improve next week and the rest of the year. You lose to a d2 school and it doesn't matter if it's ndsu/Montana or cal poly/und - it's a shattering loss.

I know they say it's hard to fill schedule at wyo and that the Cowboys are locked into the next 6-8-10 years of a 1Aa team on the schedule, but- it's a mistake. Wyoming has to get out of that. The little guy in the big pond isn't in position to play those games. SC Trojans can play Arkansas state if they feel like it. Who can't
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: I was trying to think of other staffs who lost to fcs teams and still went on to be successful. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head.
Jerry Kill.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I'm not ready to pack it in yet, but today is not a good sign. I was trying to think of other staffs who lost to fcs teams and still went on to be successful. I couldn't think of one off the top of my head.

Lots of improvement between now and November will do a lot for my optimism. Frankly, we better see it.

Couple of other things: this game wasn't nearly the same as WSU vs. PSU. WSU outgained them but made some mistakes. We didn't even belong on the field with UND. Secondly, "Cowboy Tough"should never again be muttered until it is earned. It is currently an embarrassment to the phrase. Regurgitating that phrase makes us and it a laughingstock. Stanard or youth?
Worst possible start; now we see what Bohl is made of.
Well, SDSU and Virgina Tech both lost to FCS teams in recent years and went on to have successful seasons.

Just since you asked.
As did Kansas State
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

wyocowboy2014 wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:
The thing that hurts me the most about today is what it does for the fan base. Die hard fans will still come, but this loss today will cause the causal fan to not come, especially if they have a decent drive. It's hard to build a fan base with these types of losses.
True, today's loss was by far the worst I have witnessed in person. We had chances, but shot ourselves in the foot over and over. Thought Coffman under threw most of his passes....over over threw. The long td to Gentry was nice however.

The way to bring back the fans you lose with losses like this, is to win games we're not expected to. Terrible game.....but the season is still young. And who knows, we might not suck as bad next week. Definitely a game a normal Wyoming team should win.

Go Pokes!
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

Coeur d' Alene wrote:It is only one game. But it's one game that proves that Wyoming absolutely can not schedule games against division 2 schools (don't give me the 1 double A answer unless you're going to go correct the 50 posts calling them a big sky team when they aren't in that conference)

You have nothing to gain w a win against a non D1 school (the win doesn't count toward bowl eligibility) and everything to lose. This loss today was against e Michigan everybody says oh well maybe we improve next week and the rest of the year. You lose to a d2 school and it doesn't matter if it's ndsu/Montana or cal poly/und - it's a shattering loss.

I know they say it's hard to fill schedule at wyo and that the Cowboys are locked into the next 6-8-10 years of a 1Aa team on the schedule, but- it's a mistake. Wyoming has to get out of that. The little guy in the big pond isn't in position to play those games. SC Trojans can play Arkansas state if they feel like it. Who can't
A win against a D-2 school does count toward bowl eligibility. You're allowed to count 1 win against them. If you play 2 games and win both of them, you only get to count 1 of the wins for a bowl game. They're usually used for tune up games. Most other teams in the MWC played a school like that and destroyed them other than Utah St.

I was at the game and it was an embarrassment. The score did not come close to telling the story of the game. The TD UND got called back, even if the guy hadn't been held, he never would have got the RB and they would have scored. Add that to the FG that they made which got called back for delay of game only to miss the 2nd time. UND should have had atleast another 10 points. Wyoming should have beat them easily. Everyone is using the youth excuse but either way they're playing Division 1 Football. If they can't handle that then go to a lower level, doesn't matter what age they are.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm with Mike on this. Youth is a good excuse of you are a FCS team.

This shouldn't be sugar coated. This is among the worst, if not worst, games in program history. All this "cowboy tough" rhetoric is now especially embarrassing.

It should get better, afterall, it is hard to get much worse. This isn't the first time we've heard we need more birthdays. Let's hope it is true this time.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
rockpoke
Buckaroo

I am frustrated as anyone but we have to ride this out. How many years did it take Bohl and company at NDSU to become what he made it? Last years Fresno game is what we will be looking at once he gets this thing turned around. You have to build from the ground up and it will be painful along the way. One aspect from yesterday did catch my eye, the definant difference in speed on our punt coverage, you can't coach speed. With our youth movement Bohl will get these kids in the right places to use that athleticism. Last year in high school they got by on shere athleticism, you can't do that here. A comment made listening to Poke call-in riding home was that when you hire a lower level coach you reap what you sow. I disagree completely, I would have liked to see Bohl's last couple of NDSU teams compete in the MWC they might have won the thing. Did you see what he did in Manhattan? They were no cupcakes at the time. Ride on Poke fans there will be better days ahead.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Better days ahead. Our eternal cry. I have been reading and hearing that since I was a sophomore in college. Did I mention that was 1998?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Coeur d' Alene wrote:It is only one game. But it's one game that proves that Wyoming absolutely can not schedule games against division 2 schools (don't give me the 1 double A answer unless you're going to go correct the 50 posts calling them a big sky team when they aren't in that conference)
Actually, they are in the Big Sky and yes they are in Div 1-AA...

http://www.bigskyconf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice try though...
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I need to see genuine progress this fall. Yes, this is a process and we can't demand top success right away. That's unrealistic. But is it too much to demand player development? The team looked like it got worse. The OL/DL were very poor.

Wyoming is not recruiting at a high level. 4-star and high-end 3-star talents are not flocking to Laramie. That makes player development absolutely crucial to this regime. It's everything. If this staff can't turn stone into diamond, this is all for not.

That's my goal for this team. Not a win total, but I need to see SEVERAL young players emerge. Show us the proof this fall, where is this player progress? Cause it didn't show yesterday.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

I was wondering wth they were talking about? Ref to BigSky comments.

Talent will come to Laramie:

When we win....on TV. When we keep a coach....give them the tools to win. Start racking up wins and they will come. WIN ON TV WIN ON TV

*Not losing to FCS ....WHO HAS A SECOND YEAR COACH AS WELL! :tickedoff:
skunkapekiller
Buckaroo

all bohl has to do is thank a couple of guys named chris mussman and tim brewster for the millions he will be robbing from the good folks of wyoming...he was marginal at best for a years and then recruited some questionable but talented players that the u of m and und didn't even look at because the above mentioned coaches were not up to d1 (fcs or fbs) caliber head coaches... :twocents:
solving fbs problems one manifesto at a time