Sheep fire their coach

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

LawPoke's comment about the High School Hero who limps into the bar makes me think of Bruce Sptingsteen's song GLORY DAYS. To listen, just GOOGLE glory days youtube. You'll like it.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

There’s plenty of G5 schools in areas better than Fort Fart. Some of them are already moving up but most are mired in G5 status. I find it laughable that CSU is somehow destined for the P5. I do agree their opportunity to make a move is way better than ours, but to say we’ll be swimming as jealousy as they play in a P5 conference is laughable. The most likely outcome is we all keep slowly drift towards irrelevance even more so than we are now.

Utah moved up, but people in Utah cared about Utah football. No one cares about CSU football in Colorado.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:27 pm Utah moved up, but people in Utah cared about Utah football. No one cares about CSU football in Colorado.
That is literally the only thing holding CSU back IMO...and it is probably enough to ultimately kneecap them.

We...on the other hand...have literally everything holding us back.

Now, cue everybody accusing me of advocating giving up.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

307bball wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:46 pm
laxwyo wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:27 pm Utah moved up, but people in Utah cared about Utah football. No one cares about CSU football in Colorado.
That is literally the only thing holding CSU back IMO...and it is probably enough to ultimately kneecap them.

Nah...you all know my speech by heart by now. BTW, as a historian, I hated that scene in Animal House. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Nah...you all know my speech by heart by now. BTW, as a historian, I hated that scene in Animal House. :roll:
no joke. How many times and in how many different ways can one person say the same thing. I would be shocked if”307 bball “ is a Wyoming fan. Seems like Wyoming and Wyoming athletics brings him great misery. Don’t feed the troll
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:23 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm

no joke. How many times and in how many different ways can one person say the same thing. I would be shocked if”307 bball “ is a Wyoming fan. Seems like Wyoming and Wyoming athletics brings him great misery. Don’t feed the troll
I think basketball is on the plus side of the fan misery index for me... But this season in football has definitely nudged me into the negative.

Look... It's obvious that very few on this board wants to take seriously the facts that Wyoming athletics faces an increasingly uphill battle to just remain somewhat relavent... Forget talking about competing for championships. I get the sense from a lot of comments that there is an untapped reservoir of college athletic greatness in Laramie just lying there waiting to be tapped by the right AD or coach. I don't see it.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Patience and innovation. It seems more and better recruits are becoming available in CO. Hopefully that continues.

We do need to adjust the system assuming we'll be less deep and likely less talented. I don't know if that is triple option or what. I think ignoring the transfer portal is a mistake. I don't know about building an entire team through the portal but we do offer the opportunity to compete for a starting role in most positions. It seems there should be more opportunities to use transfers in the future.

The right system can be better and the wrong system can be worse. I don't think a bsu-like run is possible, however.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:31 am Patience and innovation. It seems more and better recruits are becoming available in CO. Hopefully that continues.

We do need to adjust the system assuming we'll be less deep and likely less talented. I don't know if that is triple option or what. I think ignoring the transfer portal is a mistake. I don't know about building an entire team through the portal but we do offer the opportunity to compete for a starting role in most positions. It seems there should be more opportunities to use transfers in the future.

The right system can be better and the wrong system can be worse. I don't think a bsu-like run is possible, however.
Yeah...it feels like the time and opportunity for programs to jump up a tier are just over.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Didn't see that one coming

307bball
WyoNation Addict

303cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 am Didn't see that one coming

Huh...interesting.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

303cowboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 am Didn't see that one coming

Does this mean they, in fact, don't have unlimited money and resources to pay for two buyouts and a new stadium? :roll:
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

I think that’s a pretty solid hire. Sucks for Nevada.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 am I think that’s a pretty solid hire. Sucks for Nevada.
I guess. I think it's underwhelming. Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB in Strong IMO. Let's see how well it works for him without a NFL caliber QB. I have my doubts.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:32 am
Subcanis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 am I think that’s a pretty solid hire. Sucks for Nevada.
I guess. I think it's underwhelming. Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB in Strong IMO. Let's see how well it works for him without a NFL caliber QB. I have my doubts.
I am actually surprised CSU is making what seems to be a rational hire. Since Lubick, CSU has went the SEC and East Coast route which has not turned out well for them partly due to the lack of local ties and unfamiliarity with the MWC. I think Norvell has done a pretty good job on a small budget at Nevada taking them to 4 straight bowl games.

I don't really buy into the "Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB" argument...because Norvell recruited Strong when he was off the radar of most programs (in fact I don't think he even played his senior year of HS). The big (if not the biggest) part of coaching at the college level is recruiting and Norvell has done a pretty damn good job bringing talent into Reno.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am
I am actually surprised CSU is making what seems to be a rational hire. Since Lubick, CSU has went the SEC and East Coast route which has not turned out well for them partly due to the lack of local ties and unfamiliarity with the MWC. I think Norvell has done a pretty good job on a small budget at Nevada taking them to 4 straight bowl games.

I don't really buy into the "Norvell got lucky with getting a great QB" argument...because Norvell recruited Strong when he was off the radar of most programs (in fact I don't think he even played his senior year of HS). The big (if not the biggest) part of coaching at the college level is recruiting and Norvell has done a pretty damn good job bringing talent into Reno.
How about a NFL caliber QB AND WR AND TE?

MWC teams don't see that accumulation of talent very often, if ever. And he went 8-4. As I said, I have my doubts.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:50 am

How about a NFL caliber QB AND WR AND TE?

MWC teams don't see that accumulation of talent very often, if ever. And he went 8-4. As I said, I have my doubts.
Wyoming had an NFL QB, WR, TE, RB and Center on offense and a future NFL LB, 2 safeties, CB turned WR and DE on defense... that team went 8-6.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Man, I wonder if he foresees some roster issues? More money but if he had a good outlook for success at NV, you'd think that's the fastest way to a P5 job. I think a reasonable hire for csu but sure didn't see that coming
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am Man, I wonder if he foresees some roster issues? More money but if he had a good outlook for success at NV, you'd think that's the fastest way to a P5 job. I think a reasonable hire for csu but sure didn't see that coming
Given the age, maybe he looks at CSU as a final job. Virtually none of us are going to turn down a job that triples our salary.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am Man, I wonder if he foresees some roster issues? More money but if he had a good outlook for success at NV, you'd think that's the fastest way to a P5 job. I think a reasonable hire for csu but sure didn't see that coming
Given the age, maybe he looks at CSU as a final job. Virtually none of us are going to turn down a job that triples our salary.
No doubt and the money is probably the big driver.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times