Bohl Presser 10/25

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Some Highlights from Bohl (my summary):

A starting QB will be named during the week and not prior to game.

Bohl has not spoke to his players because Sunday is an off day but will do so today. (I.e he hasn’t spoken to Williams)

San Jose State are world beaters with an amazing backup QB Nash and Wyoming will face a significant challenge.

Losses are also on defense failing to make turnovers.

Bohl is trying like hell to try and figure out how to win a game.

Bohl has little involvement in play calling.

Holt out for year but Welch likely to play this weekend. Marcotte is a law student and he also should see more playing time.

Freshmen unlikely to see playing time because of upper classmen on the team.

My Perspective:

…nothing I saw bleeds any confidence. Bohl seems to be worried that this team won’t win another game. He seems clueless how to fix the problems.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Losses are on the D for not forcing TOs??? LMAO. This guy is cra cra.

Sucks for Holt. He truly gave it his all. Respect.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm Losses are on the D for not forcing TOs??? LMAO. This guy is cra cra.

I was blown away by the suggestions that the defense is also to blame. Bohl stated that he needed defense to hold New Mexico under 7 points.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

He's 1-5 against Rocky Long teams, I think.

VERY concerning that he took a year to focus on offense and now bungles QB management along with making the offense worse.

Even worse that he puts anything on the D. Great way to further alienate the locker room.

This has a bad feeling. How in the hell can he be so incompetent at this stage of the game? Did he just check out and put it all on assistants while he walks around mumbling something about Cowboy tough? It is perplexing to see this level of dysfunction.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

I guess it's coach-speak..(I mean, technically, he's the coach, everything he says is coach-speak)

Can we not separate the expectation that we create turnovers on defense from blaming the defense? Maybe Bohl feels like our defense should have created a turnover or two...is that admissible? I have a tough time parsing what I expect coach Bohl to say. Is there anything that he could say that would make us feel any better after the last three games?

The proof is in the win and loss columns. Whatever the coach says is so much of nothing. If we were undefeated and Bohl blathered on like an idiot I'm sure we would be lapping it up and saying "what a great leader of men". Instead, after three straight lopsided losses, I don't think any coach is going to be able to "speak" confidence back into the fan base.

Coach Bohl does not seem to have answers for the offensive performance, what would you say if you were in his position? The games have been lost...there is no way to "win" the press conference at this point. Again...couldn't care less about these comments. Just win!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm I guess it's coach-speak..(I mean, technically, he's the coach, everything he says is coach-speak)

Can we not separate the expectation that we create turnovers on defense from blaming the defense? Maybe Bohl feels like our defense should have created a turnover or two...is that admissible? I have a tough time parsing what I expect coach Bohl to say. Is there anything that he could say that would make us feel any better after the last three games?

The proof is in the win and loss columns. Whatever the coach says is so much of nothing. If we were undefeated and Bohl blathered on like an idiot I'm sure we would be lapping it up and saying "what a great leader of men". Instead, after three straight lopsided losses, I don't think any coach is going to be able to "speak" confidence back into the fan base.

Coach Bohl does not seem to have answers for the offensive performance, what would you say if you were in his position? The games have been lost...there is no way to "win" the press conference at this point. Again...couldn't care less about these comments. Just win!!
Personally - I would want a coach/leader to show some confidence and discuss how the team is going to get on track and a coach that takes full responsibility for the performance. I just didn’t see much of that.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:24 pm I guess it's coach-speak..(I mean, technically, he's the coach, everything he says is coach-speak)

Maybe something along the lines of "the D has been playing good enough to win games. We're always trying to do better, so I would like them to create more turnovers. However, they are playing well. The offense has obviously been struggling and after an entire off season focusing on that, the blame rests entirely on the coaching staff. We need players to make plays, but we have to play to their strengths and put them in a position to be successful. I'm meeting with the offensive coaches and we are making adjustments to help these guys be successful"
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Maybe something along the lines of "the D has been playing good enough to win games. We're always trying to do better, so I would like them to create more turnovers. However, they are playing well. The offense has obviously been struggling and after an entire off season focusing on that, the blame rests entirely on the coaching staff. We need players to make plays, but we have to play to their strengths and put them in a position to be successful. I'm meeting with the offensive coaches and we are making adjustments to help these guys be successful"
Bohl should hire you to write his speeches. He took very little personal blame IMO.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:48 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Bohl should hire you to write his speeches. He took very little personal blame IMO.
Heh..that would be hilarious...I'm not enough of a politician.

I'm riled up by the product on the field and whatever the coach says isn't really factoring in for me. Whatever gets said at press conferences feels like it is so removed from the product on the field ... for me anyways. Like...Would anybody care what gets said if we had zero losses?....I would not. Heck, There are famous examples of great coaches that really say nothing of any content at a presser. Since I know that to be the case...whatever a losing coach says at a press conference also does not matter.

I just don't think we'll ever see a coach keep or lose his job based on press conference stuff...Whatever we as fans read into it (ie, he's throwing the defense under the bus) is just as open to an alternative interpretation....like maybe he knows the offense sux and he knows his personell knows it so why pile on in the press? You might not agree with that strategy but it makes more sense than thinking that Bohl actually blames his defense for the losses.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:20 pm Heh..that would be hilarious...I'm not enough of a politician.

I'm riled up by the product on the field and whatever the coach says isn't really factoring in for me. Whatever gets said at press conferences feels like it is so removed from the product on the field ... for me anyways. Like...Would anybody care what gets said if we had zero losses?....I would not. Heck, There are famous examples of great coaches that really say nothing of any content at a presser. Since I know that to be the case...whatever a losing coach says at a press conference also does not matter.

I just don't think we'll ever see a coach keep or lose his job based on press conference stuff...Whatever we as fans read into it (ie, he's throwing the defense under the bus) is just as open to an alternative interpretation....like maybe he knows the offense sux and he knows his personell knows it so why pile on in the press? You might not agree with that strategy but it makes more sense than thinking that Bohl actually blames his defense for the losses.
I think you highlighted the difference. It is so abysmal, disappointing, and dysfunctional, that I think the coach owes it to the fanbase to provide a little reassurance and accept some responsibility. When he says the exact same things, why should we continue to by tickets or watch on TV if we can only expect the exact same thing?

He doesn't have to pile on, but at least give the impression that he has some level of control and some idea of how to right the ship. Press conferences are a little different when you are in your 8th year, are one of the highest paid staffs in the conference with some of the best facilities and you are getting your ass handed to you.

Normally, I agree with but I think this situation is different. He doesn't need to be all rah rah, but I think he owes the fans a bit more. I definitely get what your saying, though.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Very discouraging presser. He acts like everything is Ok. Nothing Changes. I am over this guy already.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

WyoVaquero wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:06 pm Very discouraging presser. He acts like everything is Ok. Nothing Changes. I am over this guy already.
I like Craig Biden have decided not to watch the games live anymore. I will watch the 'tape' and see if what happens is worthy, and comment to my peers about the performance at a later date.

Checked out. The dude has lost any chance in regaining my confidence.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:05 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:03 pm Losses are on the D for not forcing TOs??? LMAO. This guy is cra cra.

I was blown away by the suggestions that the defense is also to blame. Bohl stated that he needed defense to hold New Mexico under 7 points.
He wanted to lose 6-3.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Coachspeak is truly a language we all following UW should understand, afterall its more often than not what keeps our personnel their jobs year in and year out. Hopefully Burman is paying attention too, he's not outta the woods in this too...