Bohl: “We need to look at personnel changes”

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I know we all want to see drastic changes but abandoning the identity of the program in year 5 screams desperation. Bohl has had a vision for the program from the beginning and I believe we either stick with it or make changes, starting at the top. I don't believe it would be in Bohl's or the programs best interest to make drastic changes.

The offense can work if properly coached and proper in game adjustments are made. That is where the problem lies, this coaching staff refuses to make any adjustments to the game plan and it's like they aren't even looking at the scoreboard. Watching the Fresno Game my wife was actually laughing as I was able to call when it was a running play and when it was a passing play. Right now with the level of talent on the field you can't just call play like it's a video game and expect them to work. A certain level of strategy is needed for play calling and it's just not there. When is the last time you have seen an audible by our QB? They aren't even taught to read the defense pre-snap! Being a defensive coordinator against this offense must be extremely easy to prepare for.

This isn't Nebraska as Bohl remembers it. When you had that kind of talent of course you can line up and call any kind of play and have success with it. Every play if properly executed is designed to score right?! Rarely did you ever have to teach a 90's Nebraska QB to read defenses or call audibles, because they didn't need to!

These Wyoming players are being setup to fail by this offensive staff and frankly I just feel sorry for them. Whether it's keeping Vigen and surrounding him with coaches who can provide the proper support or moving onto another OC, I don't have that answer but I know what I'm seeing on the field. Rant over for now!
I'm good for 3!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think the fact they're performing worse week by week while other teams improve says a lot as well. Like you said, if the fans can predict what play is coming up, the defense who's spent a week watching film and preparing will be able to as well, except probably with even better success.

Remember the whole Taperiots thing? There's a reason that was a scandal... now imagine that instead of an opponent spying on you to help out their defense, you essentially just hand them your playbook and signal which play is coming on every down.

And even then, you'd probably do okay from time to time if you had properly developed your players.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:05 pm He is talking about player changes.

He wouldn't talk about coaching changes publicly at this point in the season. That isn't his style.
This.

No coach discusses firing his coaches until he actually fires his coaches.

They also don't discuss (or least try not to) specific players in a negative light to the public either.

That's common sense. Teams don't throw each other under the bus, regardless of the adversity they're facing. If they do, they have more problems at hand than one or two personnel issues.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 am What moves can he make? QB, WR? He’s not going to make moves at TE, online, or running back.
Well, you can change players, but if you still run a predictable offense not sure it changes much .
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Poke-proud wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 am
marcuswyo wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:55 am What moves can he make? QB, WR? He’s not going to make moves at TE, online, or running back.
Well, you can change players, but if you still run a predictable offense not sure it changes much .
And who are you going to change to? If there are better players on the bench you're either an idiot or a terrible evaluator of talent. Granted, there are always those overachievers who don't show up in practice but there's no way him suddenly changing to others on the depth chart is going to result in some miraculous turn around.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:40 pm
And who are you going to change to? If there are better players on the bench you're either an idiot or a terrible evaluator of talent. Granted, there are always those overachievers who don't show up in practice but there's no way him suddenly changing to others on the depth chart is going to result in some miraculous turn around.

I agree there are probably no superstars hiding in the bench, but there is a stubbornness to these coaches that goes beyond patience and loyalty. Woods at RB last year. While Nico may have improved during the offseason, I think he and Overstreet as co-starters would have made a difference to help Allen have a little run game last year.
yopaulie
Ranch Hand

This off season (assuming no mid-season surprise) will be a very interesting one to see what Bohl does. Given that Vigen has been Bohl's OC for 8 or 9 seasons straight now, will he cut bait? I am guessing he views (or viewed) Vigen as a successor and protege.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

I’m actually not arguing with you - I agree.
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

I think today showed that they are both idiotic and terrible evaluators of talent.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

yopaulie wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:18 pm This off season (assuming no mid-season surprise) will be a very interesting one to see what Bohl does. Given that Vigen has been Bohl's OC for 8 or 9 seasons straight now, will he cut bait? I am guessing he views (or viewed) Vigen as a successor and protege.
Bohl may think that, but please please please wyo decision makers and boosters, never let that happen.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

specialteamsguru wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:44 pm I think today showed that they are both idiotic and terrible evaluators of talent.
Yeah, whether it's Vigen or Bohl who didn't want to give Chambers a chance previously... if he was anywhere near this good in practice, WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T HE PLAY VS HAWAI'I?!!!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 pm
specialteamsguru wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:44 pm I think today showed that they are both idiotic and terrible evaluators of talent.
Yeah, whether it's Vigen or Bohl who didn't want to give Chambers a chance previously... if he was anywhere near this good in practice, WHY ON EARTH DIDN'T HE PLAY VS HAWAI'I?!!!
Has he been traveling on the road so far this year?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

cali2wyo wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm
He should have, if he's been running the ball like that in practice!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Now they really better, geesh
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:53 pm
cali2wyo wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm
He should have, if he's been running the ball like that in practice!
Ha, he's a QB, they don't run the ball in practice, ever.