Wyo Elk hunt

If you have ideas, questions, or anything, send 'em this way!
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

Hello all
I have a question for my fellow hunters in Wyoming. Is the tags for elk similar to Nebraska where there's a lottery draw? I've had my name in the pot for 5 years now, and I'm getting pissy that new timers keep winning over me. Nebraska's lottery draw is apparently supposed to improve your chances over time.... :x
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Kimball_Ne_Cowboy wrote:Hello all
I have a question for my fellow hunters in Wyoming. Is the tags for elk similar to Nebraska where there's a lottery draw? I've had my name in the pot for 5 years now, and I'm getting pissy that new timers keep winning over me. Nebraska's lottery draw is apparently supposed to improve your chances over time.... :x
If you want to hunt the general elk units, you should be able to hunt almost every year. General units are the ones that residents buy over the counter. If you want the lottery units, some will be 18 year wait. Cow hunts in the lottery aren't as bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

You aren't that far from Cheyenne (Kimball), talk to the people at the Game & Fish office. You shouldn't have to wait that long.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Kimball_Ne_Cowboy
Buckaroo

Thank you both! Another question: if I wanted to go the archery route on an elk is 30 going to be all I will get for an Elk being close? Do elk behave more like whitetail or mule deer in any way?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Elk don't act like anything but elk, to be honest with ya, they have minds of their own, and if you get within 30 yards, then you are lucky, but I've heard of people getting them within that(luckily), 75 to 100 yards is a good range if you get lucky again. But pending on your area and such, Elk hunting is quite the adventure, and good luck to you!!!
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Kimball_Ne_Cowboy wrote:Thank you both! Another question: if I wanted to go the archery route on an elk is 30 going to be all I will get for an Elk being close? Do elk behave more like whitetail or mule deer in any way?
If you get 30 that's a whole lot better than the majority of people. 100 is more "average". Good luck though, depending on where you go you should be able to get at least a cow. It's a blast
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

amongst a lot of work once the arrow's let go and trigger pulled but it's fun and well worth it