Cheering for Wyoming to lose

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I've been a Wyo fan my entire life, and I have never once cheered for Wyo to lose.
I don't care how bad their product is on the field. I don't care what the issues with the head coach are. I don't care how poop the AD is. I have always cheered for Wyoming to win. Not lose. Why? I am not a CSU fan, or a BYU fan. I am a Wyoming fan. You cheer for your team to WIN not lose.

Anyone cheering for the team to fail is not a Wyoming fan. You don't like the AD or coach or how bad our D is? Doesn't matter, you cheer for the Pokes to win no matter what.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:I've been a Wyo fan my entire life, and I have never once cheered for Wyo to lose.
I don't care how bad their product is on the field. I don't care what the issues with the head coach are. I don't care how poop the AD is. I have always cheered for Wyoming to win. Not lose. Why? I am not a CSU fan, or a BYU fan. I am a Wyoming fan. You cheer for your team to WIN not lose.

Anyone cheering for the team to fail is not a Wyoming fan. You don't like the AD or coach or how bad our D is? Doesn't matter, you cheer for the Pokes to win no matter what.
I've never cheered for them to lose either. They just don't need to go to a bowl game. Finish 7-5? Fantastic! They still don't need to go to come crappy low tier bowl game.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

I always root for the Pokes through thick an thin but I'm also realistic. Grew up in Laramie....I was one of the little bug gars playing football at the south end....I was always Toscano haven't missed many games since then....seen some very good teams and also some very bad ones......this year the pig in pearls is Cowboy football! I appreciate your passion but careful calling out the Cowboy loyalists.....it won't be pretty.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

As for me, I want conference championships! Not chicken poop! 7-5 is for losers like in the Sun Belt.

For me, I want 10+ wins every year. A bad year in a 5 year period is O.K. but still....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Boise State 57 Wyoming 10

Hawaii 36 Wyoming 27

Utah State 44 Wyoming 19

You think the above scenario gets it done?

The changes I mean?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

DocHolliday wrote:Boise State 57 Wyoming 10

Hawaii 36 Wyoming 27

Utah State 44 Wyoming 19

You think the above scenario gets it done?

The changes I mean?
Maybe but you got the Hawaii score wrong. They are just as bad as we are. They find new ways to lose a game they could've won. I'm thinking something like 28-21 Wyoming. Fans of either school should be given a medal like a Purple Heart if any dare to watch the game on-line or in person.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
TheCup
Ranch Hand

I appreciate the "winning is the only thing" sentiment but these are complicated times.

I don't ever want my best friend to have to go in for a painful surgery that will require months of recovery... But if it means that my little buddy might someday walk again? Then I guess I'd have to consider it a necessary evil in pursuit of a greater good.

If you are convinced, as I am today just as I was last year, that the Christensen era is going to end with a whimper eventually then it is in everyone's interest for it to happen sooner rather than later. If that means losing three more meaningless games at the ass end of another meaningless season, then so be it I guess.

This isn't to say I am going to wear Boise colors on Saturday. If Boise puts it on us you won't find me "cheering." But am I going to give a black damn? Not really. If it makes it easier for Burman, Sternberg et al to get their minds around pulling the plug then it's probably a net positive in the long run.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

TheCup wrote:I appreciate the "winning is the only thing" sentiment but these are complicated times.

I don't ever want my best friend to have to go in for a painful surgery that will require months of recovery... But if it means that my little buddy might someday walk again? Then I guess I'd have to consider it a necessary evil in pursuit of a greater good.

If you are convinced, as I am today just as I was last year, that the Christensen era is going to end with a whimper eventually then it is in everyone's interest for it to happen sooner rather than later. If that means losing three more meaningless games at the ass end of another meaningless season, then so be it I guess.

This isn't to say I am going to wear Boise colors on Saturday. If Boise puts it on us you won't find me "cheering." But am I going to give a black damn? Not really. If it makes it easier for Burman, Sternberg et al to get their minds around pulling the plug then it's probably a net positive in the long run.
EXACTLY! We have to lose to save the program.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Win, Lose, Tie, whatever...the damage has already been done.

Wasn't it Burman that made the statement, "Wyoming will never pay a football coach $1,000,000 per year". That is way past strike 3 IMO. Please UW - don't let Tom Burman make ANY MORE COACHING HIRES AT UW.

I never, EVER, want Wyoming to lose by the way, especially for the sake of digging out Tom Burman and his poop show of an athletic department. That entire department is a retread, and needs to be exterminated top down - 100%.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

On Senior Day, I want Wyokie (et al) to thank Marqueston Huff and Robert Herron for their time in Laramie, shake their hands, all while donning Hawaii gear. :coffee:

If it's the right thing to do, they'd understand.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:Win, Lose, Tie, whatever...the damage has already been done.

Wasn't it Burman that made the statement, "Wyoming will never pay a football coach $1,000,000 per year". That is way past strike 3 IMO. Please UW - don't let Tom Burman make ANY MORE COACHING HIRES AT UW.

I never, EVER, want Wyoming to lose by the way, especially for the sake of digging out Tom Burman and his poop show of an athletic department. That entire department is a retread, and needs to be exterminated top down - 100%.
I absolutely agree McPeachy. And that is the reason I still want to win.
Sternberg isn't going to let Burman stay on because of a NM Bowl invite. But, what it would mean to the players after this roller-coaster of a season would be huge.
All those extra practices, hopefully another win, etc.

If this was under Buchanan a NM Bowl might save Burmans job. But that poop isn't cutting it for Sterberg.

All these people on here are acting like we have to lose to get rid of Burman/DC because a NM Bowl invite saves their jobs and gets them extensions.
Remember that is how it was with Buchanan, but not the current president who actually gives a poop.

We could still go to a bowl game, win it, and see people fired because 7-6 with Brett Smith as a JUNIOR isn't acceptable.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Claiming that you are trying to save the program by cheering for them to lose is asinine. The program will exist next year no matter who is at the reins. It will exist the year after, and the year after that. It survived far worse coaches than what we have now. Cheering for us to lose is selfish and self serving and based purely on wanting what you think is best for your interests the next season. I will never cheer for the team to lose.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

HR_Poke wrote:Claiming that you are trying to save the program by cheering for them to lose is asinine. The program will exist next year no matter who is at the reins. It will exist the year after, and the year after that. It survived far worse coaches than what we have now. Cheering for us to lose is selfish and self serving and based purely on wanting what you think is best for your interests the next season. I will never cheer for the team to lose.

+1!
Self serving in the BIGGEST way. How many people want to get on here and say "I told you so BeaverPoke, we suck" rather than win a freaking bowl game?
TheCup
Ranch Hand

BackHarlowRoad wrote:On Senior Day, I want Wyokie (et al) to thank Marqueston Huff and Robert Herron for their time in Laramie, shake their hands, all while donning Hawaii gear. :coffee:

If it's the right thing to do, they'd understand.
I took that post as half-joking. But at the same time we should all remember that success and failure carry consequences.

Winners get full stadiums on their Senior Day. .500 teams don't. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying it's the way the world works.

I will personally be there to clap my hands for them and yell thanks as they run out on the field, but at the end of the day they got a free education. We got a .500 football program. To my eyes, the transaction is complete.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

HR_Poke wrote:Claiming that you are trying to save the program by cheering for them to lose is asinine.
That's a bit of a straw man argument. I don't think anyone is "cheering" for Wyoming to lose. I will personally never "cheer" when seeing another team invade our end zone. I will never "cheer" seeing our offense go three and out.

But I will understand that in the long term the results of these next three games really don't matter a tinkers dam. We're probably not going to a bowl game, even at 6-6. And even if we did, it wouldn't be worth going to and it would probably be a net loser for the athletic department financially. So if going 5-7 makes it easier for the fan base and administration to turn the page to the next chapter, then so be it.

Regardless, I would like us to beat Hawaii so that our seniors have the experience one more time of running off the field with people cheering and the fight song in their ears.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

TheCup wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:Claiming that you are trying to save the program by cheering for them to lose is asinine.
That's a bit of a straw man argument. I don't think anyone is "cheering" for Wyoming to lose. I will personally never "cheer" when seeing another team invade our end zone. I will never "cheer" seeing our offense go three and out.

But I will understand that in the long term the results of these next three games really don't matter a tinkers dam. We're probably not going to a bowl game, even at 6-6. And even if we did, it wouldn't be worth going to and it would probably be a net loser for the athletic department financially. So if going 5-7 makes it easier for the fan base and administration to turn the page to the next chapter, then so be it.

Regardless, I would like us to beat Hawaii so that our seniors have the experience one more time of running off the field with people cheering and the fight song in their ears.
The straw man argument is claiming that the program won't survive if we go 6-6 or don't get blown out by hawaii. Some how if we stay mediocre that football will cease to exist at the university. Pointing out that others are being self serving with their cheerleading of us to fail so that we can start over a year sooner is not a straw man argument. I don't think you know what the term means. It's a gross over exaggeration to prove a fallacy. And yes multiple posters Wyokie included are hoping and cheering for us to get blown out the last 3 games to facilitate a change he wants.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

HR_Poke wrote: The straw man argument is claiming that the program won't survive if we go 6-6 or don't get blown out by hawaii. Some how if we stay mediocre that football will cease to exist at the university.
Sorry, must not have read those posts.

I don't think football at Wyoming will cease to exist if we keep going 6-6. But if we keep going 6-6, who would care anyway?

This is all moot, regardless. Utah State and Boise are going to kick our asses up around our shoulders. We'll beat Hawaii at home. Everyone knows this is how it's going to go, so no sense getting worked up over the details.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

No one's "cheering" for us to lose in order to accomplish their "self-serving" desire to be rid of Christensen. This is simply the expression of optimism about a greater future in the face of an ugly reality. Besides, even if people were willing to see us lose a few games to try to move the program forward, I'd say those are people displaying a willingness to sacrifice for a greater good than those who would advocate the comfort of status quo mediocrity.

The people who "want us to win with Christensen" are part of the same mentality as misguided religious zealots who feel modern medicine is an affront to their faith- people willing to allow their own children to suffer in order to keep their "faith". The plane has hit the mountainside. Faith isn't going to get it back in the air.

As for the program sustaining mediocrity, sorry, but the world of College Football is in a time of great flux. Programs that cannot compete will be culled from the herd as time goes on. Mediocre teams like Wyoming will find their FBS/ D1 status under severe threat, and if Wyoming football was forced to drop a level (whether its a new one sprung from the current FBS iteration, or an outright move to the FCS) it would be the end of the program's support from serious donors.

Personally, I believe Christensen will get the axe following the seventh loss of this season. If a seventh loss doesn't happen, we're likely to see him again next season barring a new AD deciding to conduct a full evaluation and review of his tenure thus far and deciding that all things being what they are, excellence just isn't in the man's DNA.

Personally, I'll be cheering for Wyoming in the next three games, cheering for them to win against Hawaii, Boise State, and Utah State. I will back to team as a whole. However, I will also look for a silver lining in any losses- that being the very limited future of Dave Christensen at the University of Wyoming.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:No one's "cheering" for us to lose in order to accomplish their "self-serving" desire to be rid of Christensen. This is simply the expression of optimism about a greater future in the face of an ugly reality. Besides, even if people were willing to see us lose a few games to try to move the program forward, I'd say those are people displaying a willingness to sacrifice for a greater good than those who would advocate the comfort of status quo mediocrity.

The people who "want us to win with Christensen" are part of the same mentality as misguided religious zealots who feel modern medicine is an affront to their faith- people willing to allow their own children to suffer in order to keep their "faith". The plane has hit the mountainside. Faith isn't going to get it back in the air.

As for the program sustaining mediocrity, sorry, but the world of College Football is in a time of great flux. Programs that cannot compete will be culled from the herd as time goes on. Mediocre teams like Wyoming will find their FBS/ D1 status under severe threat, and if Wyoming football was forced to drop a level (whether its a new one sprung from the current FBS iteration, or an outright move to the FCS) it would be the end of the program's support from serious donors.

Personally, I believe Christensen will get the axe following the seventh loss of this season. If a seventh loss doesn't happen, we're likely to see him again next season barring a new AD deciding to conduct a full evaluation and review of his tenure thus far and deciding that all things being what they are, excellence just isn't in the man's DNA.

Personally, I'll be cheering for Wyoming in the next three games, cheering for them to win against Hawaii, Boise State, and Utah State. I will back to team as a whole. However, I will also look for a silver lining in any losses- that being the very limited future of Dave Christensen at the University of Wyoming.
Perhaps you missed this gem?

Wyokie wrote:

What Doc is saying is this....we need to lose and lose badly to force a lot of changes to happen. Otherwise, 2014 will be a repeat, only worse, of this year. Because if we go bowling...Stenberg can't fire Burman plus CDC will stay another year to where Brett Smith just might get worse. You want that to happen?!

We need changes at UW and we need it NOW!!!!! Otherwise....things WILL get much worse!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, Doc and wyokie were posting that people should cheer for Wyoming to lose. Doc (Dino), I've never cared for and not really surprised by his comment, but was with wyokie.