Dave Rice to UNLV

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Dave Rice is the new coach at UNLV. Appears to be a solid hire.
ImageImageImageImage
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Rice-a-roni at UNLV & Shyatt happens at UW. :thumb:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I think this is a poop hire. Dave Rice is nothing special IMO...sure he was on the magical teams at UNLV (1990 & 1991) but he was a benchwarmer...seeing hardly any PT.

I will be interested (and hold my predictions) until his staff is named though, as to how UNLV will show in the next few years.

How do you wash off the years of living & working in Provostan?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:I think this is a s##t hire. Dave Rice is nothing special IMO...sure he was on the magical teams at UNLV (1990 & 1991) but he was a benchwarmer...seeing hardly any PT.

I will be interested (and hold my predictions) until his staff is named though, as to how UNLV will show in the next few years.

How do you wash off the years of living & working in Provostan?
By hiring away one of SDSU's assissants?
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

How do you wash off the years of living & working in Provostan?[/quote]

Might have to ask Tub. I think it was a good hire.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

They had a chance to get Larry Brown.
I'm good for 3!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Personally, I think Rice was a great hire for UNLV. He is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the college basketball game. Add in the fact that he will be able to attract top level talent at UNLV, and I think he has the oppurtunity to really make a name for himself.

No, it wasn't a splash hire, but if the goal was to win games, then this was probably the best hire they could have made. Look at the bright side though...this is another HUGE blow to BYU.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

zappinpoke wrote:Might have to ask Tub
I still scratch my head on that. After all the years of Danny vs. Charles...he ended up assistant coaching there.

:puke:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I think this is a great hire for UNLV, considering the late stage this all went down. I would be very happy if I was a Rebel fan.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Count me in the great hire category. Aside from the fact that I think there is a lot of evidence that Dave Rice is just a very good basketball coach (has been the top assistant on the most consistently successful team in the league over the last few years and has been more than just that with Rose's health issues), he is going to tap into some serious talent in LV.

You can debate the ethics of it, but Rice will be able to funnel players through both Bishop Gorman (where his brother has been head coach for years) and through Findlay Prep (where Findlay just happens to be a UNLV booster). Rice wasn't able to fully take advantage of the Gorman pipeline at BYU because of BYU's restrictions (honor code, etc.) although he did place Tavernari there for a year. I don't think the Findlay prep pipeline has really been utilized for UNLV the way it could have been in recent years (most of the top recruits went elsewhere, Texas, etc.). I think Kruger was a little skittish about that setup. Rice will take advantage of it.

Between the talent sources and his coaching ability, UNLV will be a very tough program for years to come.

Personally I was hoping they would hire Theus. A great recruiter, but his teams at NMSU played very sloppy and he recruited a lot of very questionable characters and the whole thing kind of blew up. I think Rice is the much better coach...dammit.
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

NowherePoke wrote:Count me in the great hire category. Aside from the fact that I think there is a lot of evidence that Dave Rice is just a very good basketball coach (has been the top assistant on the most consistently successful team in the league over the last few years and has been more than just that with Rose's health issues), he is going to tap into some serious talent in LV.

You can debate the ethics of it, but Rice will be able to funnel players through both Bishop Gorman (where his brother has been head coach for years) and through Findlay Prep (where Findlay just happens to be a UNLV booster). Rice wasn't able to fully take advantage of the Gorman pipeline at BYU because of BYU's restrictions (honor code, etc.) although he did place Tavernari there for a year. I don't think the Findlay prep pipeline has really been utilized for UNLV the way it could have been in recent years (most of the top recruits went elsewhere, Texas, etc.). I think Kruger was a little skittish about that setup. Rice will take advantage of it.

Between the talent sources and his coaching ability, UNLV will be a very tough program for years to come.

Personally I was hoping they would hire Theus. A great recruiter, but his teams at NMSU played very sloppy and he recruited a lot of very questionable characters and the whole thing kind of blew up. I think Rice is the much better coach...dammit.
Cant argue with any of this, Rice will do great there. He's the guy I wanted here, although I am happy Shyatt.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

NowherePoke wrote:Count me in the great hire category. Aside from the fact that I think there is a lot of evidence that Dave Rice is just a very good basketball coach (has been the top assistant on the most consistently successful team in the league over the last few years and has been more than just that with Rose's health issues), he is going to tap into some serious talent in LV.

When you consider Rice's ties to the LV community and his background he may have even been the #1 candidate regardless of the timing of Kruger leaving. I can't think of many candidates that would be more appealing and realistic than Dave Rice.