Des Jackson to SIU

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LOL! Like we didn't all see that coming a mile away. It's the way the game works. Nice of Des to help Coach Stewart land a new gig.

In all seriousness, he should do pretty well there. They have really fallen on hard times under Lowery (13-19 or so last year) after the great run they had for a while in Carbondale. He should be able to step in and be their go to guy and primary scorer. Will likely play under a different coaching staff though, so I hope he is prepared for that (Lowery will likely be fired next season, they can't afford the buyout right now so they had him can a couple of assistants to buy time. That usually doesn't work, see: Bob Cole).
denverpoke
Buckaroo

from one of SIU fans...

The one common denominator the past three years? Lowery. Too bad he’s signed to a ridiculous contract that should never have been proposed in the first place. Maybe once the contract comes close to expiration, Lowery will be bought-out and SIU can move on trying to get back to where they were earlier in the decade.

I and many other fans have had to watch the past three years of player defections, bad defense, a stagnant offense and pouting players who think they’re a lot better than what they really are.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

denverpoke wrote:from one of SIU fans...

The one common denominator the past three years? Lowery. Too bad he’s signed to a ridiculous contract that should never have been proposed in the first place. Maybe once the contract comes close to expiration, Lowery will be bought-out and SIU can move on trying to get back to where they were earlier in the decade.

I and many other fans have had to watch the past three years of player defections, bad defense, a stagnant offense and pouting players who think they’re a lot better than what they really are.

That sounds very familiar. Desmar should fit right in.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

"That sounds very familiar. Desmar should fit right in."

Thats sort of what I thought. Putting Dez in that situation will help them get some scoring from him right off the bat, but doesnt really help them in the long run. He has that great drive move, but teams figured otu how to stop that in the MWC. He doesnt play good defense and he doestn pass well. So while he may score a lot, the overall production for the team is sort of a wash due to bad defense and lost scoring opportunities for other players.

Dez will almost certainly start next year, but other than a lot of minutes, I dont see how this really helps Dez. He will possibly be under a new coach the next year, or even worse under a coach that in a Schroyer-like situation this year, and playing in an empty areana again.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

cheypoke wrote:"That sounds very familiar. Desmar should fit right in."

Thats sort of what I thought. Putting Dez in that situation will help them get some scoring from him right off the bat, but doesnt really help them in the long run. He has that great drive move, but teams figured otu how to stop that in the MWC. He doesnt play good defense and he doestn pass well. So while he may score a lot, the overall production for the team is sort of a wash due to bad defense and lost scoring opportunities for other players.

Dez will almost certainly start next year, but other than a lot of minutes, I dont see how this really helps Dez. He will possibly be under a new coach the next year, or even worse under a coach that in a Schroyer-like situation this year, and playing in an empty areana again.
he has to sit out a year ;)
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

You're right, I was thinking the "next" year.