New Name for Men's Basketball Coach

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
AlumniCBJoe
Buckaroo

I think we all would admint that we should have hired Colorado States Tim Miles four years ago and now we probably won't be able to make a run at him but I think we should look no further the Fort Collins for our new coach! If we want our program to be where Colorado St is now in four years lets bring a guy that was there Miles for the last four!

Craig Smith - not only was he in Fort Collins fo the last four years but also he has HC experience! From is Bio he took an NAIA team who only one 1 game to the National Championship game three years later! Not to mention was voted National Coach of the Year! Before his NAIA HC stint he was Miles assistant at NDSU and I'm sure he had something to do with the recruiting class that went all the way to the National Tournament!

Lets get a blue collar guy that will get the job done! Not a flashy guy that just says he will!
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

this post was just for fun.....right?

Tim Miles???.....come on man. There won't be anymore Ogide's fallin into his lap anymore. His amalgamation of one-trick pony players fell together nicely this year. He hasn't recruited anything close to a complete high school player since he arrived. His ceiling is a first round loss in the NIT.

Ask Fairfield how well he made in game adjustments.

Shyatt happens again.

There'll be a sweep of his team next year.

Seriously.....just stop it.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

AlumniCBJoe wrote:I think we all would admint that we should have hired Colorado States Tim Miles four years ago and now we probably won't be able to make a run at him but I think we should look no further the Fort Collins for our new coach! If we want our program to be where Colorado St is now in four years lets bring a guy that was there Miles for the last four!

Craig Smith - not only was he in Fort Collins fo the last four years but also he has HC experience! From is Bio he took an NAIA team who only one 1 game to the National Championship game three years later! Not to mention was voted National Coach of the Year! Before his NAIA HC stint he was Miles assistant at NDSU and I'm sure he had something to do with the recruiting class that went all the way to the National Tournament!

Lets get a blue collar guy that will get the job done! Not a flashy guy that just says he will!
Our goal in 4 years is to win 19 games and lose in the first round of a secondary post-season tourney? Hell, Heath Schroyer did that in two years and Shyatt topped that himself in one year at Wyoming.

Actually I think Tim Miles is a tremendous coach and has done a great job, but I wouldn't phrase our aspirations in the fashion you have.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

jcintherock wrote:this post was just for fun.....right?

Tim Miles???.....come on man. There won't be anymore Ogide's fallin into his lap anymore. His amalgamation of one-trick pony players fell together nicely this year. He hasn't recruited anything close to a complete high school player since he arrived. His ceiling is a first round loss in the NIT.

Ask Fairfield how well he made in game adjustments.

Shyatt happens again.

There'll be a sweep of his team next year.

Seriously.....just stop it.
So jc, what do you think about bringing Shyatt back? Any insight as to why Dooley didn't appear to be involved?
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

I love the idea. Dixon gets to stay.....which "should" lend to some continuity.

Prolly is bringing his son. At least he's putting out feelers to check the fan bases pulse for that notion.

As far as Desmar and Amath bouncing........who cares?? Desmar has zero ability in making his teammates better. He's that one trick pony that I mentioned in the post above about CSU's players. Until he can actually shoot a jumper off the bounce he's very defensible. That said, I don't mind if he stays either. Would love to see Shyatt work with the kid but, there's a whole lotta JC kids with the same skill set. A bunch.

Amath....same boat. Would love to see what his shooting percentage outside 18 inches is. Doesn't have a single effective move with his back to the basket and is a liability facing it. What would we miss.....athleticism?? Overated. Give me a skilled average athlete at the same size with a decent passing ability and I'll beat an Amath type "athlete" every time. Most of his blocks come from the weak side as he has very poor footwork as an "on-ball" defender. Let him leave.

How well did the 6'10" smooth athlete that could put it on the floor or take you inside name Djibril "Penny" Thiam affect the outcome of games. Amath is a slightly bouncier, less likely to have that deer-in-headlights look that Thiam was famous for. I'm tired of these "run and jump" athletes that we've been chasing for years now. Only the mis-fit toys of this type end up in Laramie.

Larry...welcome back. I will come to games again as long as you don't recruit another Pasha Bains.

The best part about him coming back is that he's known for a while and he's had more than enough time to game plan for recruiting needs. Don't rule out Stewart staying too.

As far Dooley....hmmmmm......maybe he pursued it too aggressively???.....just a guess here.

Peace.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

jcintherock wrote:I love the idea. Dixon gets to stay.....which "should" lend to some continuity.

Prolly is bringing his son. At least he's putting out feelers to check the fan bases pulse for that notion.

As far as Desmar and Amath bouncing........who cares?? Desmar has zero ability in making his teammates better. He's that one trick pony that I mentioned in the post above about CSU's players. Until he can actually shoot a jumper off the bounce he's very defensible. That said, I don't mind if he stays either. Would love to see Shyatt work with the kid but, there's a whole lotta JC kids with the same skill set. A bunch.

Amath....same boat. Would love to see what his shooting percentage outside 18 inches is. Doesn't have a single effective move with his back to the basket and is a liability facing it. What would we miss.....athleticism?? Overated. Give me a skilled average athlete at the same size with a decent passing ability and I'll beat an Amath type "athlete" every time. Most of his blocks come from the weak side as he has very poor footwork as an "on-ball" defender. Let him leave.

How well did the 6'10" smooth athlete that could put it on the floor or take you inside name Djibril "Penny" Thiam affect the outcome of games. Amath is a slightly bouncier, less likely to have that deer-in-headlights look that Thiam was famous for. I'm tired of these "run and jump" athletes that we've been chasing for years now. Only the mis-fit toys of this type end up in Laramie.

Larry...welcome back. I will come to games again as long as you don't recruit another Pasha Bains.

The best part about him coming back is that he's known for a while and he's had more than enough time to game plan for recruiting needs. Don't rule out Stewart staying too.

As far Dooley....hmmmmm......maybe he pursued it too aggressively???.....just a guess here.

Peace.
Thanks for the insight.

I would disagree on Amath a little bit. I saw pretty significant growth in his game this year including a mid-short range jumper. He also works hard and brings an energy to the court. I think he would thrive under a coach like Shyatt. JMO.
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

...Amath very well might flourish under Shyatt. It just pisses me off when there's whisper of transfers by the some of the so called "better" players.

Stutzriem anyone??

Accept and move on.

Peace.
RoughneckCowboy
Buckaroo

I usually don't post on these sort of boards (I love to read them though) but, I did a little research on this Smith guy, here is what I found:

Started as an Asst to Miles @ NAIA Mayville St(ND) for 1 season - went to National Tourn.

GA @ Northern State (Aberdeen SD) - Went to the DII Elite Eight (DII's Final Four).

Spent a few yrs as an Asst @ Minot State (ND)

Joined Miles @ North Dakota State - had a great deal of success (for NDSU's standards) - had a 20 win season

Return to Mayville State as the head coach - took over a team that in the previous season beat a Canadian Bible School in overtime for their only win and took them to the NAIA National Tourn in his 1st season. 2nd season, won a Conference Championship and returned to the National Tourn - lost in Elite Eight. 3rd season, again Conference Champions and again to the National Tourn - National Runners-Up.

Rejoined Miles @ CSU -been there 4 seasons.

The thing that I find most interesting is his time as HC @ MSU, the level of basketball is besides the point, how many coaches can take a team that went 1-27 and in 3 yrs play for a National Championship...... Might be just what the Pokes need to climb from the depths of the MWC......
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Anyone think Gosar will be coming to UW w/ Shyatt (if this all pans out)?
ImageImageImageImage
gbpoke
Cowpoke

MrTitleist wrote:Anyone think Gosar will be coming to UW w/ Shyatt (if this all pans out)?
Hopefully that'd be the case. Get him groomed to potentially be the next head coach after Shyatt is done. It also be nice if he might be able to bring a couple a solid recruits with him.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:Anyone think Gosar will be coming to UW w/ Shyatt (if this all pans out)?
I would like to think so, but I am not sure what the likelihood is.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

I don't think that is happening. Nor do I think that it is a good idea at this point. Shyatt would most likely have his son and Dixon as assistants. Doesn't leave much room for Gosar.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

JC good to see you posting. I was surprised you werent posting sooner with some insight.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy

Wyolie Coyote wrote:I don't think that is happening. Nor do I think that it is a good idea at this point. Shyatt would most likely have his son and Dixon as assistants. Doesn't leave much room for Gosar.
I think Steve Gosar would be a better idea than Jeremy Shyatt personally, although I agree with you in regards to the likelihood.

I assume Dixon staying is a given. Jeremy Shyatt probably is as well. Still leaves a top assistant position open. I am sure Shyatt has plenty of connections and candidates in mind for that third spot. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.