I wish we would hear something on the coaching search

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

With the other coaching openings across the country, I am not concerned yet...but am getting there. I fear that Miller from Arizona might go to NC State, meaning that Arizona is open again. They very well could go after Dunlap. I don't see Taylor coming here...he either stays at ODU or goes someplace else. Shyatt might, but with how Florida looked the other day, we might not find out - either way - for a while, meaning we could be hanging out there while other teams hire the other talent that is out there.

Reveno and the guy from Murray State might have merit, but I would rather see Dooley.

I still have faith, but another week of not knowing much will start to raise my blood pressure. I have to believe that the salary and potential of the MWC has to be a draw...unlike our experience last time, where we low-balled the salary and our expectations and had to watch as our Cowboys deteriorated to an annual fixture in the pig-tail game.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Well, look on the bright side. Utah and byu leaving makes the conference a whole lot easier. We probably can't hire a coach worse than hs. I mean, losing the pig tail game 3 out of 4 years is going to be hard to duplicate.

On the downside, I fully expect our AD to make the worst possible choice available. He will probably interview well and have a thin resume, based on assistant coaching experience or as a head coach in very minor league... a.k.a. wherever the hell Portland state played. I still remember all the posters defending the hire of hs when I questioned why hs would become an assistant to a 2 bit program like fresno state after being a head coach at mighty Portland state. Well that's the kind of coach that beckons Tom Burman again. Maybe if we get last place in both sports again will something be done about Burman, but I doubt it.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Um you aren't worried yet?

The silence is beginning to get to me. So many jobs are opening up now, where do we rank on the list of current coaching vacancies?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I have lost all confidence in our incompetent AD & committee that is supposed to find a new coach. Rome is burning while they are fiddling and they have already pissed away a tremendous opportunity to get most of the top candidates.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYCowboy wrote:I have lost all confidence in our incompetent AD & committee that is supposed to find a new coach. Rome is burning while they are fiddling and they have already pissed away a tremendous opportunity to get most of the top candidates.
The Incompetence within the administrative part of the athletic department is in the process of completely wiping out UW Athletics. Unless someone like Buchanan can step in and get rid of the idiots running the asylum, I fear UW will never regain it's status it had prior to the Black 14 mess.

Whoever said it was right. Wyoming coulsa been Boise State long before Boise State had the Black 14 incident never happened!!!!!!!!!!

F*CK BYU!!!!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

I'd be worried if coaches started getting picked off. To date, I can't think of one college coaching position that has been filled. There are many good coaches out there and not one has been hired that I know of.

Peace!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

sean miller isnt going anywhere
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

JimmyDimes wrote:I'd be worried if coaches started getting picked off. To date, I can't think of one college coaching position that has been filled. There are many good coaches out there and not one has been hired that I know of.

Peace!
I believe Texas Tech filled their position.
ImageImageImageImage
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I say that I am not worried yet because it is still early.

People are reading a lot into the mid-season firing of Schroyer and suggesting we should have had someone signed, sealed and delivered by now. Certainly, if we were going to hire BCG or Kent, that would have been possible. With nearly every other coach, at least of the caliber that we are hoping for here at UW, they either are not yet available or only recently became available to even talk.

People are also reading too much into tweets and blogs from folks that, frankly, couldn't find Wyoming on a map if they were given directions. This Brooks fellow seems nice, but has been wrong every time he has posted something. In fact, he is about a day behind this and the other board in most of his postings - but for the Kent rumor that was complete CRAP. As I see it, he reads the boards, picks up a couple of names, sees if those guys are real human beings and writes up CRAP. I am pretty sure Dave Rice has not had a chance to even think about a coaching move, nor has Shyatt.

This said, Burman has really hurt himself with the Schroyer hire - no doubt - and DC has not yet panned out. But he knows the pressure better than we do and is not going to hire a half wit - or he will be kicking rocks. I will say that every other hire, whether it has worked or not, was highly regarded and seen as a quality move - even DC, who I still have faith will turn the ship (look at his and Pinkel's history at Mizzou).

By the end of this week, if we don't have at least an inkling of good news, I will be concerned.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:I'd be worried if coaches started getting picked off. To date, I can't think of one college coaching position that has been filled. There are many good coaches out there and not one has been hired that I know of.

Peace!
Not yet, but I'm sure they want Gillespie. Does he want them? I think Pepperdine is the only team to have filled a vacant coaching position. With someone who wasn't on our radar.

All is good.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Peace!
Not yet, but I'm sure they want Gillespie. Does he want them? I think Pepperdine is the only team to have filled a vacant coaching position. With someone who wasn't on our radar.

All is good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727
ImageImageImageImage
nirv117
Ranch Hand

Well we don't have to worry about Gillespie any more.
God is a Cowboy
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

Well.....It's Dunlap or bust now!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:Well.....It's Dunlap or bust now!
Or bust? Huh? That is pathetic. Again, there are several (SEVERAL) good coaches out there. If we got Billy Kennedy, would that be a bust? Lonergan? What about Dave Rice, or even Dooley? It's one guy or bust? This is so dumb! I'm sick of all the fans that can't just sit back and wait with anticipation. No, we have fans that look at the negatives in everything.
"We fired our coach during the season, so we should have someone hired by now!" Answer to that, With the type of quality coaches it sounds like we're going for, even though are season is over, most of their's have started the most important part of the season. Also, some of those coaches have just become available to talk to.
"We should've just given BCG the job, he said he was interested." Answer to that, Not really. He show's he's a good coach, but a poor decision maker when it comes to life outside of athletics. Kentucky didn't want there program to be marred by his life outside of basketball.Why do we want to have the possibility of screwing up our program for the sake of wins? One thing I give credit to our coaches at Wyoming, They run a pretty tight ship. Rarely does a player get kicked off a team, or do you see recruiting violations or even ncaa violations at our school, and I know we have been checked every few years. The worst we typically see is game suspensions for team violations. That is good. I see no reason to screw that up. Win or lose, abide by the rules. BCG is a good coach, and maybe he did get his life in order, but even if he did, what's having a mediocre season and an 18 or 20 win season only to then see him leave for something better? Did we gain anything? One winning season, maybe a recruit or two, and we're back trying to find a top quality coach.
"Why not Larry Shyatt? he's proven he can win here." Answer, Not really. In his coaching career he had a good season at Wyo going 19-9. Then he jumped ship for greener pastures. Going to Clemson, which, mind you, fell apart under Shyatt. Best record 20-15. His overall record, Wyo included, 89-93. Why is he a top coach to go after again? So can he win at Wyoming consistently? We may not know. Plus, why do we want to pick up a guy who tried to sue us after he broke his contract?
"So what, we have to go for mediocre and get a guy like Raveno?" Answer, No. There are other proven coaches out there that are from perspective point even better than BCG even is. Mike Lonergan, and consistent winner at Vermont, always has them in the post season and the top of their conference. Counzo Martinez, could be a good up and coming guy to look at. Dunlap, a possibility, Dave Rice, is a good possibility as well. Even coach Tinkle of Montana.
We have all this to look forward to, and all I hear is constant negativity. The only positive I hear is,"Well, we can't be any worse than when we had HS." Well, honestly, we could for a time. A poor team with a new system equal's growing pains. Look at CSU. I like Tim Miles. I think he is a good coach. But, it took three years before they had a winning season. 7-25, 9-23, 16-16, and this year 19-13. I'm sure the fans were ready to give up on him after his first year. Are you going to do that to our new coach, because he's not BCG? Or he's not Dunlap? You people really need to give it a rest. If we go after some unknown, yes, I will be upset, but if we go after a quality coach other than Dunlap, Dooley or now the TTU coach BCG, I see no problem with the hire. And you shouldn't either.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

MrTitleist wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Peace!

All is good.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727
Well, make that one. :oops:
billings
Ranch Hand

You just have to hope we are wrapping up negotiations with the new coach this weekend

I am rooting for one of the top four in my list (in Order)
1. Dunlap
2. Kennedy
3. Rice
4. Dooley

IF we have to:
5. Revano
6. Cox

Just say No:
100. Kent
101 Shyatt
102 Tinkle

I wish they had put out a list of finalist candidates so we had a better feeling for this as well. We have no clue who has even applied. That is why they use the search firm I guess - Nobody gets told no thanks in Public.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
Or bust? Huh? That is pathetic. Again, there are several (SEVERAL) good coaches out there. If we got Billy Kennedy, would that be a bust? Lonergan? What about Dave Rice, or even Dooley? It's one guy or bust? This is so dumb! I'm sick of all the fans that can't just sit back and wait with anticipation. No, we have fans that look at the negatives in everything.
"We fired our coach during the season, so we should have someone hired by now!" Answer to that, With the type of quality coaches it sounds like we're going for, even though are season is over, most of their's have started the most important part of the season. Also, some of those coaches have just become available to talk to.
"We should've just given BCG the job, he said he was interested." Answer to that, Not really. He show's he's a good coach, but a poor decision maker when it comes to life outside of athletics. Kentucky didn't want there program to be marred by his life outside of basketball.Why do we want to have the possibility of screwing up our program for the sake of wins? One thing I give credit to our coaches at Wyoming, They run a pretty tight ship. Rarely does a player get kicked off a team, or do you see recruiting violations or even ncaa violations at our school, and I know we have been checked every few years. The worst we typically see is game suspensions for team violations. That is good. I see no reason to screw that up. Win or lose, abide by the rules. BCG is a good coach, and maybe he did get his life in order, but even if he did, what's having a mediocre season and an 18 or 20 win season only to then see him leave for something better? Did we gain anything? One winning season, maybe a recruit or two, and we're back trying to find a top quality coach.
"Why not Larry Shyatt? he's proven he can win here." Answer, Not really. In his coaching career he had a good season at Wyo going 19-9. Then he jumped ship for greener pastures. Going to Clemson, which, mind you, fell apart under Shyatt. Best record 20-15. His overall record, Wyo included, 89-93. Why is he a top coach to go after again? So can he win at Wyoming consistently? We may not know. Plus, why do we want to pick up a guy who tried to sue us after he broke his contract?
"So what, we have to go for mediocre and get a guy like Raveno?" Answer, No. There are other proven coaches out there that are from perspective point even better than BCG even is. Mike Lonergan, and consistent winner at Vermont, always has them in the post season and the top of their conference. Counzo Martinez, could be a good up and coming guy to look at. Dunlap, a possibility, Dave Rice, is a good possibility as well. Even coach Tinkle of Montana.
We have all this to look forward to, and all I hear is constant negativity. The only positive I hear is,"Well, we can't be any worse than when we had HS." Well, honestly, we could for a time. A poor team with a new system equal's growing pains. Look at CSU. I like Tim Miles. I think he is a good coach. But, it took three years before they had a winning season. 7-25, 9-23, 16-16, and this year 19-13. I'm sure the fans were ready to give up on him after his first year. Are you going to do that to our new coach, because he's not BCG? Or he's not Dunlap? You people really need to give it a rest. If we go after some unknown, yes, I will be upset, but if we go after a quality coach other than Dunlap, Dooley or now the TTU coach BCG, I see no problem with the hire. And you shouldn't either.

I think what we are disagreeing on KansasCowboy is whether we were able or not able to talk (by phone) and/or make contact with some of the coaches we were interested in who were still in their regular season. I believe that opportunity did exist. The coaches on the list that were not working should have been interviewed right away. From what I have heard, we did nothing until the regular season was over. If this is true, that is the problem I have with this process when we could have been far ahead of every one else. We'll see what happens.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

With all the indescision and fiddle-farting around, I think the Pokes will be left with Langley.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I really think we will end up with Kennedy from murray state (no BCG, but could be a winner here). I am still hoping for Joe Dooley though.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
Completely Agree. Lets see what happens first before make any judgements. The deptartment has been very secretive about whats going on so we haven't heard much but that doesnt mean nothing is happening. I believe we will make a great hire.