Listening to the Sports Zone last night...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

And they spent the first half hour or so talking about the coaching search. They hashed over the Gillispie situation pretty well, and I'm going to make one more comment about Gillispie, then I'm done with it.

Here's the deal, I know BCG was a stretch for Wyoming, and a big stretch at that. I understand the reasons we've been "given" as to why UW wasn't interested in BCG. And I understand that Burman was apparently told from higher-ups that BCG wasn't gonna happen. But Burman has handled this really poorly. Ringolsby has reported that BCG was interested in the job. I think most of us believe him because of his reputation. If BCG was even remotely interested, all Burman had to do was bring him to campus (apparently, Gillispie would have paid his own way so UW wouldn't have been out anything but time) and spend a day talking to him. At that point, give some poop reason as to why he wasn't going to be hired. "He doesn't fit our philosophy." "He wants too much money." Whatever. If Burman had at least interviewed the man, most of us would have been appeased. And who knows, he might have been impressed enough to go to bat for him with those higher-ups. By not at least interviewing him, UW has created a public relations nightmare amongst the die-hards. And here's the kicker... the new coach - whoever he is - comes in at an immediate disadvantage amongst those die-hards because of what "could have been." Realistic or not, that's how a lot of folks are going to look at the new guy.

Now, I've said my piece and I'm done with it. Here's hoping Burman goes out and gets the best guy he can, and quickly. I've heard that Dunlap was interviewed recently, and I think that would be a home-run hire. Go get 'em Tom.

GO POKES!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Burman doesn't need a home run.

It's the bottom of the ninth, bases loaded and we're down by three. Two strikes called looking all we've got left on the bench is a relief pitcher to pinch hit. Burman needs a grand slam. BCG was the grand slam. If he doesn't get Dunlap, the game is over for Wyoming in MWC basketball.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

There are a few good coaches out there if we don't land Dunlap. I would love for us to get Dunlap, but in the end I believe we'll have a much better coach than what we've had recently.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

CowboyCO wrote:Burman needs a grand slam. BCG was the grand slam.
Agreed, but we all know it ain't happenin'. Hence the need to get the best guy he can.
JimmyDimes wrote:I believe we'll have a much better coach than what we've had recently.
That wouldn't be difficult!

There are lots of good names left, but we're starting to get in some pretty deep waters with other schools. Burman needs to lock someone up quick. I know the announcement won't come until respective seasons are finished, but I'm hoping he's got a guy on the hook right now and is wearing himself out reeling the guy in.

GO POKES!
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

It kind of looks like Burman is going into this hire with blinders on. He knows who he wants and that is who is going to (try to) get. Unfortunately, that is exactly how he handled the Heath Schroyer hiring. On the bright side, at least in my mind, considering the importance of this hire (to the MBB program and Burman's job), I'm hoping Burman has his sights set on someone that he can/has already in essence locked up such as Dunlap. That would explain the cold shoulder given to Gillespie and the delay in any news. I think Dunlap's a pretty straight up guy and in an attempt to avoid any distractions to St. John's, could have told Lavin that he won't say anything about any jobs until they are out of the tournament. My concern is even tho Burman and Dunlap MAY have some kind of agreement, until something is signed another school could steal him away with a better offer.
Sorry for the rambling post and I may be thinking with brown and gold glasses on, but I think there has to be a pretty valid reason why Gillespie wasn't given the time of day by Burman and/or Buchanan.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

wellpoke wrote:
Agreed, but we all know it ain't happenin'. Hence the need to get the best guy he can.
JimmyDimes wrote:I believe we'll have a much better coach than what we've had recently.

There are lots of good names left, but we're starting to get in some pretty deep waters with other schools. Burman needs to lock someone up quick. I know the announcement won't come until respective seasons are finished, but I'm hoping he's got a guy on the hook right now and is wearing himself out reeling the guy in.

GO POKES!

On Feb. 22nd I made the following post about getting this done ASAP:

Re: Basketball Coach Decision Time Frame...
by WYCowboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

From what I hear about the time frame for hiring a new coach it won't be announced until after "Selection Sunday"(which is 3-13 I believe). I am wondering why. I guess I can understand if the man we hire is coaching now and doesn't want his name released, but didn't we hire Christensen and announce it before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure his interview was before the end of the season. Why are we dragging our feet? I believe it has been a couple of weeks since Schroyer was let go. I can understand the UW admin getting their list, putting it into priorities, making contact with the candidates, discussing it with the selection committee, and then doing some interviews, but this shouldn't take more than 3 weeks at the most. Why sit on it or wait to make the hire for another 2 weeks. It leaves the door open for any number of things to go wrong. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but all these comments by other coaches in the conference weren't just casual comments - they were meant to hinder the process of Wyoming getting a good coach. Then there is bywho whose coaches and admin are degrading the MWC and Wyoming every chance they get. IMO, the longer we drag this out, the more difficult this will get.

This process should have been done long ago - at least a verbal agreement. If we don't have someone on the hook right now, we are in trouble.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

WYCowboy wrote:This process should have been done long ago
Definitely. I guess what worries me the most is not that it's taking time, but that we're not hearing anything. Burman is playing this one very close to the vest, which is probably a good thing. But there are enough people with connections to the department that we should be getting some inklings about something. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I get the feeling that the silence from the Athletic Dept means that we're going to get some guy no one's familiar with. Might turn out great, but I think he knows the faithful won't be very happy with that. Hence the silence.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

WYCowboy wrote:
wellpoke wrote:

GO POKES!
We hired Christensen before the bowl game and Big 12 title game, but regular season was concluded.

On Feb. 22nd I made the following post about getting this done ASAP:

Re: Basketball Coach Decision Time Frame...
by WYCowboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm

From what I hear about the time frame for hiring a new coach it won't be announced until after "Selection Sunday"(which is 3-13 I believe). I am wondering why. I guess I can understand if the man we hire is coaching now and doesn't want his name released, but didn't we hire Christensen and announce it before the end of the season. I'm pretty sure his interview was before the end of the season. Why are we dragging our feet? I believe it has been a couple of weeks since Schroyer was let go. I can understand the UW admin getting their list, putting it into priorities, making contact with the candidates, discussing it with the selection committee, and then doing some interviews, but this shouldn't take more than 3 weeks at the most. Why sit on it or wait to make the hire for another 2 weeks. It leaves the door open for any number of things to go wrong. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but all these comments by other coaches in the conference weren't just casual comments - they were meant to hinder the process of Wyoming getting a good coach. Then there is bywho whose coaches and admin are degrading the MWC and Wyoming every chance they get. IMO, the longer we drag this out, the more difficult this will get.

This process should have been done long ago - at least a verbal agreement. If we don't have someone on the hook right now, we are in trouble.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

wellpoke wrote:And they spent the first half hour or so talking about the coaching search. They hashed over the Gillispie situation pretty well, and I'm going to make one more comment about Gillispie, then I'm done with it.

Here's the deal, I know BCG was a stretch for Wyoming, and a big stretch at that. I understand the reasons we've been "given" as to why UW wasn't interested in BCG. And I understand that Burman was apparently told from higher-ups that BCG wasn't gonna happen. But Burman has handled this really poorly. Ringolsby has reported that BCG was interested in the job. I think most of us believe him because of his reputation. If BCG was even remotely interested, all Burman had to do was bring him to campus (apparently, Gillispie would have paid his own way so UW wouldn't have been out anything but time) and spend a day talking to him. At that point, give some poop reason as to why he wasn't going to be hired. "He doesn't fit our philosophy." "He wants too much money." Whatever. If Burman had at least interviewed the man, most of us would have been appeased. And who knows, he might have been impressed enough to go to bat for him with those higher-ups. By not at least interviewing him, UW has created a public relations nightmare amongst the die-hards. And here's the kicker... the new coach - whoever he is - comes in at an immediate disadvantage amongst those die-hards because of what "could have been." Realistic or not, that's how a lot of folks are going to look at the new guy.

Now, I've said my piece and I'm done with it. Here's hoping Burman goes out and gets the best guy he can, and quickly. I've heard that Dunlap was interviewed recently, and I think that would be a home-run hire. Go get 'em Tom.

GO POKES!
The truth is the Buchanan told Burman he could hire Gillespie, but that both of them would go down with Gillespie if anything negative happened. Burman immediately withdrew Gillespie from any consideration. Thus we will be stuck with Ernie Kent. :cry: