Top PLayer Needs for the Football Team

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

(I'm hoping this will get a little more response)

1. Quality on the offensive line
2. More depth and size on the defensive line
3. A defensive end that can create havoc on the quarterback
4. A big-play wide receiver

My biggest concern is No. 1 - this program hasn't shown an ability to have a formidable offensive line in years. I know the o-line rocked against CSU - but that's one game. Every position on that line should be up for grabs.

I think 2 and 3 will be OK. All the freshmen on the d-line should put on 20-30 pounds, and it looks like the d-ends finally started to get it after switching from LB. Those big JUCO d-linemen from last year will hopefully be productive (taking up space) next year.

We lost our two best wide receivers. I think there's quality players at WR on the roster - they just need to step up.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

1. Offensive line. We need some dudes here that can keep ACS safe and open up the run game. THey looked better in the last few games.

2. Defensive line. We need some fat boys to plug the DT/NT spot. We have one guy over 300, the rest are in the 260-270 range. We need to get a bit bigger there to plug up those holes. Then we need a crashing DE along the lines of Fletcher or Unrein. More depth here is a need.

3. We have some young guys who might be good, plus Ogbonna/Lester will be seniors. We need some guys here.
ImageImageImageImage
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I actually think TJ Smith will be one of Wyomings top recievers when he finishes career. He started 3 games and led us in recieving two of them, he is going to be special if he sticks around for three more years.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

we said the same thing about tooley :/ we need a big time reciever and both lines and depth at DB
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

yeah, but we'll see how Tooley plays out next year. He got a full year off to rehab, and seems to be committed to the program now. And he's only a TE.which if we get him the ball, I think he could give J. Nova's records a run for his money.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 151 times

kansasCowboy wrote:yeah, but we'll see how Tooley plays out next year. He got a full year off to rehab, and seems to be committed to the program now. And he's only a TE.which if we get him the ball, I think he could give J. Nova's records a run for his money.
I think he is suspended indefinitely. I don't know what that means exactly. Is he even in Laramie?
W-Y, Until I Die!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 51 times

laxwyo wrote:I think he is suspended indefinitely. I don't know what that means exactly. Is he even in Laramie?
Yeah, he was suspended indefinitely last I heard. He is still listed on the team roster, but who knows what that means.

If there is one thing that drives me nuts about DC, it's how secretive he is when it comes to his players.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

Hauck at UNLV is the same way.. super secretive about players. Montana's new HC is the opposite.. he babbles on about player injuries, etc. I like the secretive way.. no use in giving the enemy information. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Huge ACS fan, but other than O line and D Line, i think we need some depth and competition at QB. Great QB play means more than any other position and I would like to sign a Stud QB every class if nothing else than to push ACS and the others to be the best they can be.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Fullback41 wrote:Huge ACS fan, but other than O line and D Line, i think we need some depth and competition at QB. Great QB play means more than any other position and I would like to sign a Stud QB every class if nothing else than to push ACS and the others to be the best they can be.
I think we have to get ACS's replacement this signing class. I didn't think we did it last year. If we get a stud this season, then he redshirts and watches ACS as a freshmen, then he is in as a Soph. Would have been nice if Stoudt would have stayed committed.
W-Y, Until I Die!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:yeah, but we'll see how Tooley plays out next year. He got a full year off to rehab, and seems to be committed to the program now. And he's only a TE.which if we get him the ball, I think he could give J. Nova's records a run for his money.
I think he is suspended indefinitely. I don't know what that means exactly. Is he even in Laramie?
I believe Tooley is transferring. I hear his name more than ACS. It seems there are a handful of players looking to transfer.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

cowboyz wrote:I believe Tooley is transferring. I hear his name more than ACS. It seems there are a handful of players looking to transfer.
Like every year. Last years exodus was led by none other than King Quitter himself Cory Orth. Not everyone is cracked up to be Cowboy Tough...some kids these days just enjoy soccer & f-word golf more. :lol:

Anyway, IMO, we need...

Several instant impact JC guys at DT, WR, CB, and probably QB. Not sure what happened to Kankalongo, but DC burned his RS, and he never played in the last 7 (or 8) games...not one snap. Probably need a solid RB candidate as well.

Other than that...plan for the future...don't let 2008 happen again (playing 9 freshman).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
gopokes1399
Blog Team

JCs have been a waist for us name one JC that made such a huge impact that we should get more
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

gopokes1399 wrote:JCs have been a waist for us name one JC that made such a huge impact that we should get more
Mazi Ogbanna has been pretty good.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I think Jucos can be effective if they can sit for a year. I know people usually only go the Juco route because they need something NOW. However, if you know that the following year you'll have a need, then pick up a few jucos that can sit and learn the system, then come in and give you two years. If Joe Glenn had picked up a couple of Juco DL his final recruiting class knowing he would lose his whole line, we'd be sitting a lot better. I'm not sure if some Juco teams are much better than HS teams. The only benefit is that the kids are bigger (hopefully). I don't see how people expect Juco kids to come in, learn a new system, and get on the field.
W-Y, Until I Die!