Early lines are out: We are +11 vs. Air Force

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

This might be the key game of the year. If we get this win, we can still have a good season. If we lose, it really looks uphill with the next 4 weeks of really tough opponents.

We played them really tough down there last year. Defense played great. Offense - not so much. My fear is that they will run wild on our defense. Our offense has really been up against it vs two really good teams. But AF gave Oklahoma all it could handle in Norman. We will probably have to have 9 guys in the box and just dare them to throw.

Lastly, will the fans show up after last weeks debacle?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Well, last year we were still running the 3-4, and the 3-4 is the best thing to counter the option offense, even if it is a triple option. But unless English figures out that his current scheme ain't working worth a poop, especially against the run game, it's going to be a long day.

But I do think quite a few people will show up for the game simply because it is Air Force that we are playing.

And Another thing to note, Oklahoma RARELY goes up against the triple option while Wyoming has been going up against it since Air Force has been using it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Take AFA is my way of thinking at this point. AFA is pretty salty...and we...are not.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

I have a feeling Air Force will show they've taken a HUGE step forward as a team. I honestly think they would've been good enough to beat Texas this year.

Their defense is downright nasty, and I don't need to mention that their offense now throws a bunch more too (and better), so you can't just stack the box either. The good news is that we finally are going to get the best of the secondary vs receiver matchup in a game. The Gipsons ARE better than Air Force's receivers.

One of the main positives, though. Since we've added a lot more speed on the defensive line and at linebacker, Air Force's triple option shouldn't be as efficient... as long as we MAKE OUR FREAKING TACKLES.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote:I have a feeling Air Force will show they've taken a HUGE step forward as a team. I honestly think they would've been good enough to beat Texas this year.

Their defense is downright nasty, and I don't need to mention that their offense now throws a bunch more too (and better), so you can't just stack the box either. The good news is that we finally are going to get the best of the secondary vs receiver matchup in a game. The Gipsons ARE better than Air Force's receivers.

One of the main positives, though. Since we've added a lot more speed on the defensive line and at linebacker, Air Force's triple option shouldn't be as efficient... as long as we MAKE OUR FREAKING TACKLES.
And stop putting our LBs and DBs in zone all day. We need to use that speed that we;ve been hearing about since last winter.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

This year AFA has a QB that can throw well if they have to.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:Lastly, will the fans show up after last weeks debacle?
I'll be there :thumb:
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

wyosteelerfan wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Lastly, will the fans show up after last weeks debacle?
I'll be there :thumb:
Me too. Everyone needs to shake off the ass whipping and show up in force for what is always one of the best games of the year! :thumb:
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Coming up from Kansas! Go Pokes beat AF!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Ill be there. Wife is addicted now so she just got us tickets.
I think they can win it. Sounds like the pokes are pretty mad with themselves
69er
Ranch Hand

When I look at how the season is going so far it seems Wyo will lose by 21.
Calhoun is getting a lot out of AF.

Talked by email to a former training partner, Alyssa, earlier and she likes to look at the Sagarin ratings. I think she said 14.15 in favor of AF.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

The line has now moved to 14. Those who bet don't think much of our chances. When's the last time we beat a conference opponent with a winning record? I'm thinking it was TCU in 2007? I was at the game. Sween played well. Dalton was a freshman then and he came in and almost brought tcu back. They hit the upright on a game tying field goal in the last minute.

Well, I'm hopeful but not optimistic.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote:The line has now moved to 14. Those who bet don't think much of our chances. When's the last time we beat a conference opponent with a winning record? I'm thinking it was TCU in 2007? I was at the game. Sween played well. Dalton was a freshman then and he came in and almost brought tcu back. They hit the upright on a game tying field goal in the last minute.

Well, I'm hopeful but not optimistic.
This is going to be a tough game. AFA is a very solid team, and will run on our lame assed 4-3 at will. The best thing that could happen, is the switch back to 3-4 to rush 5 across the line against them.
Dear Karma,

gopokes1399
Blog Team

Air force is aying well but we have gotta beat them at home it is absolutely critical at home and we have got to beat Toledo that puts at 3-2 and in a good spot
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:Air force is aying well but we have gotta beat them at home it is absolutely critical at home and we have got to beat Toledo that puts at 3-2 and in a good spot
Toledo is, I agree, a must win. Our schedule doesn't set up well...as long as we stay injury free, and motivated, we will still get to 6 wins (plus). This line-up:

AFA - I don't think our D can stop them, and our O...well...
@ Toledo - A must win, gets us to 2 & 3
@ TCU - No comment
Utah - See above (but there is a glimmer)
@ bWHYu - See above (when was the last W in Provostan, regardless?)
SDSU - A must win, gets us to 3 & 6
@ NM - A must win, gets us to 4 & 6
@ UNLV - A must win, gets us to 5 & 6
CSU - A must win, gets us to 6 & 6

This is eerily similar to CSewe's schedule last year...except (as we all know) they folded like the bitches that they are.
Dear Karma,

gopokes1399
Blog Team

i just dont want our season to come to where we have to win 4 straight i think we need to beat AF TCU Utah or BYU one of those would be a huge boost
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

SDSU is a very dangerous game as they look MUCH MUCH improved. They barely lost @ Mizzou last week on a last minute touchdown (two SDSU defenders hit each other trying to make the tackle, and the receiver then scampered 68 yards for a touchdown), and while Mizzou's no longer a top team, they're no slouch either.
Freshman RB Hillman now has 443 yards and 7 TDs on 60 carries. 228 of those yards came against Mizzou.

If Cowboys can't improve as we go on, we just may get blown out in that game, despite it being at home.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote:SDSU is a very dangerous game as they look MUCH MUCH improved. They barely lost @ Mizzou last week on a last minute touchdown (two SDSU defenders hit each other trying to make the tackle, and the receiver then scampered 68 yards for a touchdown), and while Mizzou's no longer a top team, they're no slouch either.
Freshman RB Hillman now has 443 yards and 7 TDs on 60 carries. 228 of those yards came against Mizzou.

If Cowboys can't improve as we go on, we just may get blown out in that game, despite it being at home.
But I wonder how well Mizzou's D is rated. And the last 2 games were against pushovers.

That said, I have seen a video of this kid and he's a shifty little bastard. However, if we can actually plug up holes, we shouldn't have to worry too much about him. Provided English learns what blitzing is.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote: That said, I have seen a video of this kid and he's a shifty little bastard. However, if we can actually plug up holes, we shouldn't have to worry too much about him. Provided English learns what blitzing is.
Which means that he's likely to have fun with a team that can't tackle cleanly.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

SDSU was told today that the last Missouri touchdown that gave them the win should have been called back for a block in the back..
ImageImageImageImage