WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

303cowboy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm Brendan Wenzel to the portal per his Instagram
Poop. I was hoping he would stay. He was a good player for us. Thanks, Brendan
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

This is unfortunately going to be the case yearly with Linder. Players are likely to move on once they’ve grown tired with him. None of these transfers will be commanding huge NIL.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Looking back, it’s amazing how one thing has snowballed and devastated this program. We’re following up a tourney birth and Ike gets injured. The team blows and the transfer merry go round hasn’t stopped. Be amazing if we ever get this thing back on track. Definitely looks like Linder better correct this ship. I like him as a coach but having no stability makes it difficult. If Ike stays healthy and we have a decent year, maybe it doesn’t turn in cluster f-word. Oh well
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm Looking back, it’s amazing how one thing has snowballed and devastated this program. We’re following up a tourney birth and Ike gets injured. The team blows and the transfer merry go round hasn’t stopped. Be amazing if we ever get this thing back on track. Definitely looks like Linder better correct this ship. I like him as a coach but having no stability makes it difficult. If Ike stays healthy and we have a decent year, maybe it doesn’t turn in cluster f-word. Oh well
"Injured". Riiiiiiight....
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:37 pm
laxwyo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:53 pm Looking back, it’s amazing how one thing has snowballed and devastated this program. We’re following up a tourney birth and Ike gets injured. The team blows and the transfer merry go round hasn’t stopped. Be amazing if we ever get this thing back on track. Definitely looks like Linder better correct this ship. I like him as a coach but having no stability makes it difficult. If Ike stays healthy and we have a decent year, maybe it doesn’t turn in cluster f-word. Oh well
Agreed. Ike had no intention of playing and had both feet out before the season…..
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:37 pm
Agreed. Ike had no intention of playing and had both feet out before the season…..
I understand he probably could have come back. But I’m fairly certain he did get injured. He’s playing a full healthy season so if he’s leaving, it makes sense no to rush it.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:34 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

I understand he probably could have come back. But I’m fairly certain he did get injured. He’s playing a full healthy season so if he’s leaving, it makes sense no to rush it.
From an eligibility standpoint, not playing probably made sense if he would have only been available for a few games at the end of the year in an otherwise wasted season.

The big problem that I had which soured me on Ike was that it appears he made sure to grab NIL cash through Boys and Girls Club on his way out the door. As if his $500,000 from Gonzaga wasn’t enough he also apparently needed to get that Wyoming cash for not playing.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:23 am
Well, there goes the most talented player on the team I guess. I hate the portal. I hate NIL (in it's current form). I am starting to hate college athletics and athletes. :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:32 am
Well, there goes the most talented player on the team I guess. I hate the portal. I hate NIL (in it's current form). I am starting to hate college athletics and athletes. :cry:
Because of NIL and the portal, some of them are professional athletes, not collegians. I would guess that every player on Kansas is getting NIL money. Even in our conference, I'm sure many are getting significant amounts of money. Football and basketball are no longer amateur sports. College sports as we knew it are history.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Do you really believe this exodus at Wyoming is NIL driven? A guy that didn’t even play. I highly doubt there are big dollars being thrown his way.

We have to be honest with ourselves with this trend under the current coaching staff.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 am

Do you really believe this exodus at Wyoming is NIL driven? A guy that didn’t even play. I highly doubt there are big dollars being thrown his way.

We have to be honest with ourselves with this trend under the current coaching staff.
No, I don't believe these 4 (Wenzel, Powell, CanadianHair, Sirtautus) are NIL driven. They are portal driven. And you may be right about the staff, we will see. Something to be said about being a "players coach" in this most awful environment.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

The problem with NIL as it currently exists is that it has created a professional sporting league where athletes are paid by unaffiliated third parties rather than the schools (ie the employers) themselves. This gives all of the negotiating power to the athletes and none to the schools/coaching staffs.

These third party NIL collectives are the at the root of the issue. They are throwing money around to unproven athletes with little to no conditions attached. Contracts, with specific expectations and incentive based payouts, are badly needed. Eventually, I think we will end up there as it become clear to these NIL collectives how much money they waste on athletes that don't develop as expected and/or transfer out when things don't go their way.
Last edited by TheRealUW on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:17 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:56 am

No, I don't believe these 4 (Wenzel, Powell, CanadianHair, Sirtautus) are NIL driven. They are portal driven. And you may be right about the staff, we will see. Something to be said about being a "players coach" in this most awful environment.
This. 100% this. Like it or not, “my way or the highway” coaches are not going to have success at our level in the NiL/portal eras. The kids have all the power. You can hate that reality. You can cuss it. But it is here and will continue to gut Napoleonic coaches and their programs that won’t adapt.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

just as I was beginning to get excited about him. wow. This SUCKS
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

TheRealUW wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:52 am The problem with NIL as it currently exists is that it has created a professional sporting league where athletes are paid by unaffiliated third parties rather than the schools (ie the employers) themselves. This gives all of the negotiating power to the athletes and none to the schools/coaching staffs.

These third party NIL collectives are the at the root of the issue. They are throwing money around to unproven athletes with little to no conditions attached. Contracts, with specific expectations and incentive based payouts, are badly needed. Eventually, I think we will end up there as it become clear to these NIL collectives how much money they waste on athletes that don't develop as expected and/or transfer out when things don't go their way.
In the world of track and field, runners are signing NIL deals directly with shoe companies. This might be the future for football and basketball as well

https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-st ... -nike-nil/
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

This is as good as it will ever get for NCAA athletes. Give it 10 years...the majority of NIL deals will be incentive based. If you don't play well, you don't get paid. I would also not be surprised if we start seeing contracts that legally oblige the athletes to commit to a specific school/team for a specified period of time or face some sort of financial "exit penalty". The NIL collectives that exist today are being wildly inefficient and careless with their funds. All it will take is a handful of NIL collectives to start incorporating incentive based pay structures and exit fees and the rest will follow in due time.

If there is one thing that keeps me somewhat upbeat about college athletics, it is that I just don't think the way NIL deals currently operate are sustainable in the long-term. Changes are coming, and likely in the not so distant future.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Ummm whoooo???
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Speaking of transfers: