Aaron Bohl the new DC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Several saw that coming from a mile away
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Well, we went cheap. Again.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I think we are headed for Koennig era 2.0.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Bohl has done a hell of a job with the linebackers for several years now. This hire is going to be dismissed as lazy and complacent by many on here, but it's not a bad hire by any stretch of the imagination.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Tells you all you need to know about the hc hire and all the "reflection" Burman did. I'll leave it at that and won't respond.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

It was the only thing that made sense based on Bohl’s retirement that came a year before was expected.

But it’s hard to argue the hiring from a linebacker production standpoint. We will see.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

We all knew the defensive side of the ball would likely be filled with someone in the program or tied to current regime.

D had been fairly stable. Not as worried. Really interested in OC
W-Y, Until I Die!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Likely saves money for the OC hire
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:35 pm I'll leave it at that and won't respond.
Translation: "I'm tired of throwing whiny, pessimistic sh*t out there about literally everything the last three weeks and being nothing but critical, and then *gasp* subsequently being held responsible by everyone here for actually defending my position with facts (which I can't do)...so now I'm just gonna be petulant". Lmao.

Anyway...as others have mentioned, it's difficult to argue with the promotion from an actual production standpoint, as well as his experience in our system, sticking to similar schemes, and the recruiting continuity.

It's a bit of a risk, sure....but it's equally (if not moreso) risky hiring someone completely new and everything that comes with that.

Our defense isn't broken....why try to fix it?

I get not jumping up and down over it as if we just hired Rocky Long, but I honestly don't see how we can be mad/disappointed over it. I'm quite intrigued, tbh.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:21 pm Bohl has done a hell of a job with the linebackers for several years now. This hire is going to be dismissed as lazy and complacent by many on here, but it's not a bad hire by any stretch of the imagination.
Not sure I agree - he inherited the strength of the team, and maintained it...somewhat. Another "we will see" hire in my opinion.

That said, I also thought Jake Dickert was a meh hire as DC (to follow Hazelton), but look how that turned out.

Frankly, I was holding out hope to bring back Hazelton as DC and CO-HC.
Dear Karma,

doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

The shortcomings this year were mostly on the offense so this hire was predictable. It is also predictable that the new OC and most of the OC coaches won't be from the current staff.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:59 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:35 pm I'll leave it at that and won't respond.
Translation: "I'm tired of throwing whiny, pessimistic sh*t out there about literally everything the last three weeks and being nothing but critical, and then *gasp* subsequently being held responsible by everyone here for actually defending my position with facts (which I can't do)...so now I'm just gonna be petulant". Lmao.

Anyway...as others have mentioned, it's difficult to argue with the promotion from an actual production standpoint, as well as his experience in our system, sticking to similar schemes, and the recruiting continuity.

It's a bit of a risk, sure....but it's equally (if not moreso) risky hiring someone completely new and everything that comes with that.

I get not jumping up and down over it as if we just hired Rocky Long, but I honestly don't see how we can be mad/disappointed over it. I'm quite intrigued, tbh.
Intrigued is definitely the best word. As I've said before, he's been a damn good linebacker coach. If he can translate those skills well he's got the chance to be a solid DC.

I think he's earned this promotion. I think that he would have been offered a DC position at another school eventually (possibly this year) if we didn't offer it to him. I'm curious and excited to see how this works out.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm

Intrigued is definitely the best word. As I've said before, he's been a damn good linebacker coach. If he can translate those skills well he's got the chance to be a solid DC.

I think he's earned this promotion. I think that he would have been offered a DC position at another school eventually (possibly this year) if we didn't offer it to him. I'm curious and excited to see how this works out.
This is what I predicted caused Bohl’s early retirement. The opportunity for his son to advance at Wyoming or otherwise Aaron Bohl might leave.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm I think that he would have been offered a DC position at another school eventually (possibly this year) if we didn't offer it to him. I'm curious and excited to see how this works out.
I think Wyoming (and some fans certainly) need to stop thinking like this. If they (players, coaches, administrators) go, they go. We need to be out of the box thinking enough, and work hard enough, to go after the gold, regardless what is or isn't within our control.
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Bookmarked. Will be interesting next fall.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm

This is what I predicted caused Bohl’s early retirement. The opportunity for his son to advance at Wyoming or otherwise Aaron Bohl might leave.
You have to wonder if Aaron was not promoted if he was on his way to NDSU as well.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:15 pm

Bookmarked. Will be interesting next fall.
A failure to do better than Craig Bohl did proves nothing. Any failure to reach the top in Wyoming football in the modern era can be attributable to the external factors that you and I hashed out on the other thread. Literally the only way that gets proven wrong is if somebody comes along and pulls 35 or so wins out over four years along with a chip...until then, you can't say with certainty that the lack of high end success is due to coaching or admin.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:13 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:07 pm I think that he would have been offered a DC position at another school eventually (possibly this year) if we didn't offer it to him. I'm curious and excited to see how this works out.
I think Wyoming (and some fans certainly) need to stop thinking like this. If they (players, coaches, administrators) go, they go. We need to be out of the box thinking enough, and work hard enough, to go after the gold, regardless what is or isn't within our control.
Who's to say that out-of-the-box thinking isn't promoting from within? That's not exactly a common practice in FBS football these days. I'm not saying we shouldn't have looked outside of the program for a DC, but promoting a promising young coach that is already on staff isn't automatically a bad move.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

We've seen this movie before, when Larry Shyatt left the SECOND time. Promoted Edwards, kept baby Shyatt, and we all know how well that turned out. If this turns into a similar train wreck, Burman needs to be the first one fired. Like Ragtime, I'll bookmark this and see what happens over the next two or three years. Unlike a lot of you, I don't have a high degree of confidence in Tommy boy and his internal hires.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I didn’t realize how young A. Bohl is. Ehhhh makes one raise an eyebrow