Furman

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

Another very good test for the Cowboys on a neutral court. Furman won the Southern Conference last year and are favorites to do so again the year. Interestingly enough, both Furman and Charleston were knocked out of the NCAA Tournament last year by SDSU.

This tournament had some very good basketball teams, despite not having a lot of big name programs there. These are the types of teams we need to be playing to get us prepared for the conference schedule. The Cowboys have looked like they belong, and I think they can be a top half MWC team.

The X-factor is Mason Walters. Linder was very high on him. If he is as good as Linder has said, and he can mesh into the team well, who knows what this team might do by conference tournament time.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Sam Griffin is a one man wrecking crew. Kot shoots too much, and our bigs are no post up threats. Almost all the points are from Kot, Wenzel, and Griffin. Powell is a great defender and rebounder. As I post this, we are up 10 with 7 minutes to go. It looks like we have a reasonably competitive team that should far exceed last year's win total.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

That was a really good win. Furman won a game in the tourney last year, and we never trailed against them. This could be a sneaky good team. Griffin will be the undisputed leader, but we've seen multiple other players have good games at different times. Nice to see some balance!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I liked our poise down the stretch. Powell really defends the paint and we have 2 guards that can penetrate and bury the 3. It was nice to see Wenzel hit a big shot at the end. I like the way this team defends. I'm cautiously optimistic.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I watched. We played well. Griffin can score it, but not the greatest defender, but his role will be to score. Powell is much improved. Manyawu didn’t get many minutes because we went small. Overall, I’m impressed with this team and hopefully we can make some noise in the MWC
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Didn't watch but excited about this team can't wait to see em in December
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

What is the deal with the facts about the Universe videos on these posts? Just curious.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:17 pm What is the deal with the facts about the Universe videos on these posts? Just curious.
It almost makes it look like it was part of my original post, but I think it is just a random advertisement. I’ve noticed them at the top of other posts as well.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I was listening to Ryan Thorburn's podcast and this Furman win sounds like it was a pretty good win. Furman beat Virginia in the tournament last year and have most of their dudes back. Very promising.
Last edited by laxwyo on Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W-Y, Until I Die!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

laxwyo wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:19 am I was listening to Ryan Thorburn's podcast and this Furman win sounds like it was a pretty good win. Furman beat Virginia in the tournament last year and half most of their dudes back. Very promising.
That entire tournament was chock-full of teams that should be very good this season. Charleston, Furman, Liberty, and Vermont were all picked to win their conference this season. Wichita State and Saint Louis should be solid programs too. Most of those teams would be middle to high level MWC teams this year.

Coming out of that tournament 2-1 left me with a much more positive outlook on this season. That was good competition we faced and we were more than just competitive.

I live in Austin, so my wife and I will be attending the Texas game this coming Sunday - excited to see how the Pokes compete against a very good team in a true road environment.