Cal Poly

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

Even though Cal Poly is not a very good basketball team, this is going to be a fairly big step up in competition level because we have only played D2 and NAIA schools so far.

I’m curious to see if Griffin and Kot can still get to the bucket off the dribble against D1 level athletes. If we don’t have guards who can reliably create opportunities off the bounce, we are going to struggle because we do not have any bigs that are ready to contribute consistently on the offensive end of the floor.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I expect a really close game
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:05 pm I expect a really close game
Man, I hope you are wrong. Even a pretty poor MWC team should be able to handle a bad Big West team at home. Preseason picks should always be taken with a grain of salt, but Cal Poly was picked to finish dead last in the Big West and just got smoked by DU by 20+ points a few nights ago.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Man, these pokes have a look to them. I think they’ll be a lot better than I thought. Granted, I didn’t have have high hopes for the team but some of these guys definitely look like they belong
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Dang. We look ….. AWESOME tonight. I feel like we are finally proficient in the paint with Kononets, Powell and Manyawu
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Inferior competition. We need to win by 20.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Manyawu is a really impressive young player. He plays the game very well and is athletic and big
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:20 pm Manyawu is a really impressive young player. He plays the game very well and is athletic and big
The real key is that you haven’t been able to tell he’s a freshmen. He looks like the real deal.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:20 pm Manyawu is a really impressive young player. He plays the game very well and is athletic and big
The real key is that you haven’t been able to tell he’s a freshmen. He looks like the real deal.
He’s a natural rebounder
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Shame that Powell is still such a spaz on offense because he gives great effort
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Manyawu has the potential to develop into an all conference player. I hope we can convince him to stick around for a few years.

Cal Poly is certainly not a great college basketball team, but I have been pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen from Wyoming so far. We aren’t a MWC title contender, but I also don’t think we look like a 10th place team.

St. Louis, and the rest of the teams we will face at the tournament in Myrtle Beach, should really give us a barometer for what to expect for our competitiveness level in the conference this year.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:20 pm Manyawu has the potential to develop into an all conference player. I hope we can convince him to stick around for a few years.

Cal Poly is certainly not a great college basketball team, but I have been pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen from Wyoming so far. We aren’t a MWC title contender, but I also don’t think we look like a 10th place team.

St. Louis, and the rest of the teams we will face at the tournament in Myrtle Beach, should really give us a barometer for what to expect for our competitiveness level in the conference this year.
^This^
Manyawu has the potential to be even better than Ike. Just hope we have better plan to keep these guys after Linder develops them and puts in positions to succeed.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:20 pm Manyawu has the potential to develop into an all conference player. I hope we can convince him to stick around for a few years.

Yeah already I have been pleasantly surprised by what I'm seeing from the team. I'm excited to see how we do in the Myrtle Beach tournament against another step up in competition
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:28 pm
This has me stoked right up until...transfer portal you say...say it won't be so!!!