Portland State Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

They lost 81-7 to Oregon in their first game.

I hope for once we see a comfortable win against an FCS school, not a 4th quarter heart attack game.

I think our defense looks good enough to shut them down. I hope the offense finds some more rhythm in both the running and passing game. Hopefully Peasley only plays a half or maybe 3 quarters and we are far enough ahead to give Svoboda at least a full quarter of reps and save peasley from unnecessary hits.

I hope we see something like a 42-7 game.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Would love to see a defensive score and a lot of young faces from the 2nd team against Portland State. Hopefully a smooth game and not like the last couple of FCS games where it's way too close for comfort for 3 quarters.
Udubalum07
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

A lot of the time we play these games too close. Think No Co last year. Really hoping for something comfortable and find arhythm offensively before Texas. I'm thinking 31 to 10.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:52 am I hope we see something like a 42-7 game.
Nowhere near that high for the Pokes. Remember - Bohl is still the coach.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:52 am They lost 81-7 to Oregon in their first game.

I hope for once we see a comfortable win against an FCS school, not a 4th quarter heart attack game.

I think our defense looks good enough to shut them down. I hope the offense finds some more rhythm in both the running and passing game. Hopefully Peasley only plays a half or maybe 3 quarters and we are far enough ahead to give Svoboda at least a full quarter of reps and save peasley from unnecessary hits.

I hope we see something like a 42-7 game.
That would be great to put Svboda in with about 3 minutes to go in the 3rd. It would be great experience but more so to reduce hits on Peas
W-Y, Until I Die!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:03 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:52 am I hope we see something like a 42-7 game.
Nowhere near that high for the Pokes. Remember - Bohl is still the coach.
We just need to be up 14-0 by end of 1st, 28-0 by end of 2nd, 35-0 by end of 3rd, and then with backups in on both offense and defense in the 4th we trade scores to end up winning 42-7. It's just that simple, if only the coaches will follow this plan :D

Knowing Bohl's history of playing down to the level of the competition, I know it is far more likely that we might be down 14-17 in the 4th, and then score a late TD to barely win 21-17.

But just maybe with a 6th year senior at QB and on the offensive line and all the returning experience on defense, maybe for once we won't play down to the competition and could actually get a comfortable win against a team.

At least the Texas Tech game has given me hope that this could happen.

I do think we'll have more success running the ball. Hopefully we continue to utilize the tight ends in our passing game as well and actually show some progress on having a consistent offense
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I expect a close game
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I think it'll be a solid win, but not a massive blowout. I'll take Wyoming 45-10.

Bohl is probably going to take some time to really develop the younger RBs and hammer away with the run, which is going to eat up a lot of time and thus probably prevent a worse blowout. (I hate to say it, but I agree with the approach. The run game is still going to be the meat and potatoes of our offense, and these young guys need reps badly over the next couple of weeks until Waylee gets back.)

I hope that we do get up solidly and quickly enough that Svoboda can get some snaps and finally get his arm in the game. Peasley's health....with all the hits and concussions over the last year....is a major concern, and we haven't game-developed any depth at QB.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Wyoming 34-13. It won’t be very competitive IMO.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:33 pm I think it'll be a solid win, but not a massive blowout. I'll take Wyoming 45-10.

Bohl is probably going to take some time to really develop the younger RBs and hammer away with the run, which is going to eat up a lot of time and thus probably prevent a worse blowout. (I hate to say it, but I agree with the approach. The run game is still going to be the meat and potatoes of our offense, and these young guys need reps badly over the next couple of weeks until Waylee gets back.)

I hope that we do get up solidly and quickly enough that Svoboda can get some snaps and finally get his arm in the game. Peasley's health....with all the hits and concussions over the last year....is a major concern, and we haven't game-developed any depth at QB.
I don't care who you are, 45-10 is a massive blowout. Check out SEC/Big 10 scores from Week 1.

If we were up 2 scores (14) at half I'll be happy. 3 scores and I'll be giddy.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:35 pm
I don't care who you are, 45-10 is a massive blowout. Check out SEC/Big 10 scores from Week 1.
It's all perspective and semantics, I guess. Haha. I've alway thought 45-10 is a pretty "standard" blowout. As opposed to "massive", such as Bama over MTSU (56-7), USC over Nevada (66-10), Oklahoma over Arkansas State (73-0), Oregon over PSU (81-7), ND over TNST (56-3), Mississippi over Mercer (73-7), even Georgia over UT-Martin (48-7) and ND over Navy in W0 (42-3)...the list goes on.

Also, B1G offenses aren't usually exactly the standard-bearer for how many points should be scored in a "blowout", lol.

Anyway, we're not gonna clobber PSU anywhere even remotely near the way Oregon did. But I do expect (read: demand) a standard/healthy blowout. At least enough to get Svoboda some reps. I'm okay with not running up the score (not Bohl's style anyway) if it means we can get these young RBs some work, but any kind of struggle doesn't bode well and won't get Evan any snaps.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:09 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:35 pm
It's all perspective and semantics, I guess. Haha. I've alway thought 45-10 is a pretty "standard" blowout. As opposed to "massive", such as Bama over MTSU (56-7), USC over Nevada (66-10), Oklahoma over Arkansas State (73-0), Oregon over PSU (81-7), ND over TNST (56-3), Mississippi over Mercer (73-7), even Georgia over UT-Martin (48-7) and ND over Navy in W0 (42-3)...the list goes on.

Also, B1G offenses aren't usually exactly the standard-bearer for how many points should be scored in a "blowout", lol.

Anyway, we're not gonna clobber PSU anywhere even remotely near the way Oregon did. But I do expect (read: demand) a standard/healthy blowout. At least enough to get Svoboda some reps. I'm okay with not running up the score (not Bohl's style anyway) if it means we can get these young RBs some work, but any kind of struggle doesn't bode well and won't get Evan any snaps.
That's an interesting topic. Perspective definitely comes into play. In my mind anything over 4 scores (24 or more) is a blowout. Most teams would have at least some of their starters out of the game in the second half if they're up by that much. For most teams (Wyoming) putting in a significant number of 2nd string players would limit additional scoring or let the lesser team score a couple. For a 5 score blowout to happen either the competition is a few levels below (K State over SEMSt), the 2nd stringers are still really good (Bama over MTSU), or both (Miss over Mercer).
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Me thinks 42-17 a solid game start to finish...2-0 going into Austin, Saw em Off
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

This is a classic trap game. Bohl knows it too. He has a hard job ahead of him convincing these guys that they need to concentrate on Portland State and not think about Texas. Let’s get out of this game with a victory and no injuries.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:06 pm I expect a close game
Me too. I’d like to see a big blowout by UW.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Thankfully Wyoming won against TTU due in no small part to a timely interception, strong kicking game and some gutsy play by Peasley and others on offense. In order to win Wyoming cannot rely on any single part of the team. All 3 offense, defense and special teams need to play well. Sometimes parts of the team will play poorly for awhile and need a boost, that is what happened against Tech. The offense and defense were not playing well until Hoyland booted that 56 yarder. Hopefully against Portland State they will stay focused for the whole game and not give the opponent any reason to believe an upset is possible.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

doreno5 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:35 am Thankfully Wyoming won against TTU due in no small part to a timely interception, strong kicking game and some gutsy play by Peasley and others on offense. In order to win Wyoming cannot rely on any single part of the team. All 3 offense, defense and special teams need to play well. Sometimes parts of the team will play poorly for awhile and need a boost, that is what happened against Tech. The offense and defense were not playing well until Hoyland booted that 56 yarder. Hopefully against Portland State they will stay focused for the whole game and not give the opponent any reason to believe an upset is possible.
This is a great observation. We all hate that Bohl struggles to put a good offense on the field but I think he's under rated when it comes to seeing the big picture. Building a balanced program at the G5 level is not easy.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I'm assuming TV coverage will be on the MW app?
I'm good for 3!
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

35-7 WYO
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I personally would like to see a 41-10 type of game, Hoyland gets his two, the starters are able to get 34 on the board and be leading 34-3 towards the end of the third quarter and the backups start coming in and allow the lone touchdown of the day but Svaboda is able to get the offense down the field and score a touchdown for the second stringers. I truly believe this is the absolute best case scenario.