Cole plans to install Florida-type offense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

From Northern Wyoming Daily News:

Cole plans to install Florida-type offense

LARAMIE (AP) — New Wyoming offensive coordinator Bob Cole will bring his version of the double-cadence, spread offense to Laramie next season.
“It’s kind of the rage right now,” Cole told the Casper Star-Tribune on Monday.

UW coach Joe Glenn announced Cole’s hiring on Monday. Cole had been offensive coordinator at Florida A&M this past season.

Glenn last month fired offensive coordinator Bill Cockhill. The Cowboys finished the season with a 5-7 overall record and a 2-6 Mountain West Conference mark.

Cole said his offense will more closely resemble Florida’s offense, and UW will continue to try and incorporate the zone-option rushing game that never got off the ground with quarterback Karsten Sween this past year.

Cole said he watched tape of Sween and met with the quarterback over the weekend, coming away impressed with the junior.

Along with Sween, the Cowboys will return running backs Devin Moore and Wynel Seldon, their entire offensive line and a stable of receivers.

“I really don’t think this qualifies as a rebuilding job,” Cole said. “I mean, I’ve seen some beauties in the past.

“It’s not like we’re starting from scratch. I don’t think that’s the case here at all. I can’t really comment on the personnel since I didn’t go in there to look at it. From the little bit that I’ve watched it doesn’t seem to be all that bad.”

This past season, the Cowboys ranked 108th among 119 Division I teams in both scoring offense (19.4 ppg) and total offense (322.8 ypg).

Cole said he knows many of the UW coaching staff already.

“I don’t think I could have gone anywhere else in the country and known that many people on the same staff,” he said. “... Sometimes you’re lucky to know one guy or two guys, but I’d either met everybody before this or coaches with them or that type of thing.”

Cole has coached on the collegiate level since 1988 when he began his career as the offensive coordinator at Sonoma State in California. He also coached at Portland State, Montana and Utah State.

Cole’s salary will be $123,480 per year for two years.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Now THAT is what we need, minus the Tim Tebow running all over creation part.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 46 times

J-Rod wrote:Now THAT is what we need, minus the Tim Tebow running all over creation part.
I can't stand him. Colt should've won the Heisman hands-down.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Run DMC should've won it...he's at a AP caliber-wise when it comes to puttin up the huge numbers..
Colt WOULD'VE won it if he had never had that ankle injury.. too bad, considering they were the only undefeated
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

I don't know if Colt would have won without his injury.. a lot of East Coast bias goes into this decision making, and Colt certainly does not meet that requirement. This was Tebow's to lose from the beginning of the season. He was the favorite going in, and leaving. He could potentially be the first 3 time Heisman winner. But on the other side, he's as much of a product of the system as Colt is. The real winner is the running back from Central Florida who amassed over 2000 yards and still has one game to go.. could break the all-time rushing record for a season, held by Barry Sanders (right?).

But back to the topic at hand.. can Sween handle the spread option? One thing that disturbed me about this was Cole said, "it's the new fad." That's fine and great, but is it going to be successful in the MWC? Defenses are now learning how to defend against it.. old technology, maybe? Sween doesn't strike me as a real quick guy, so I'm curious what's going to happen when he's gotta take off with the ball. I hope Cole can find a way to put the ball in the air, but still get LOTS of use out of the combo of Seldon/Moore. I can potentially see the ball flipping and flying through the air with a certain amount of trickery with this offense and the weapons we have in the backfield.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:I don't know if Colt would have won without his injury.. a lot of East Coast bias goes into this decision making, and Colt certainly does not meet that requirement. This was Tebow's to lose from the beginning of the season. He was the favorite going in, and leaving. He could potentially be the first 3 time Heisman winner. But on the other side, he's as much of a product of the system as Colt is. The real winner is the running back from Central Florida who amassed over 2000 yards and still has one game to go.. could break the all-time rushing record for a season, held by Barry Sanders (right?).

But back to the topic at hand.. can Sween handle the spread option? One thing that disturbed me about this was Cole said, "it's the new fad." That's fine and great, but is it going to be successful in the MWC? Defenses are now learning how to defend against it.. old technology, maybe? Sween doesn't strike me as a real quick guy, so I'm curious what's going to happen when he's gotta take off with the ball. I hope Cole can find a way to put the ball in the air, but still get LOTS of use out of the combo of Seldon/Moore. I can potentially see the ball flipping and flying through the air with a certain amount of trickery with this offense and the weapons we have in the backfield.
Well said Titleist, Colt should have won it last year, everyone talked about Tebow's "Record Setting" 51 TDs, Well that is a 100% complete lie, Brennan had 63 TDs last year, but as MrTitliest says it won't matter the East Coast bias will always consume the Heisman voting.

I also agree with dapokes, McFadden should have won the ward, 2nd 2 years in a row??? :roll: :roll: :roll: BIAS!!!

As for this offense, I don't expect immediate results but I do see success with time, hopefully barry wins the position over Sween so we can work the kinks out and then start a new era in UW football.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

mrtitleist- I don't think sween is expected to run and be half as mobile as tebow..I read in an interview that Cole doesn't expect that from him or any qb on the roster and will work with the current qb's strengths.

dude, I had no idea how hard 63 tds would be until I played a season with a created qb on ncaa yesterday and could only throw for 52 tds! (and like colt, i was a runner up in the heisman on the game! haha) No respect..haha

ya, two years in a row is major east-coast bias...everything is east coast bias...the heisman, the polls, and theres a big problem with the BCS...i don't wanna see the fighting Illini against USC?! Are you kidding me? Are the vegas odds out for the bcs bowls yet? USC should be 30 point favs haha
I do however like the fact that that Hawaii gets to play against Georgia...just not how West Virginia got in and Missouri didn't...I think a playoff system would be great for the top 8 or 12 teams and open up bowls for the rest of the teams.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

1-AA would be glad to help out in helping setup a playoff system. :) The biggest thing with 1-AA playoffs is playoff snubs.. committee selects who gets in and who doesn't.. sometimes there's questionable decisions, but nonetheless, it's still a playoff.
ImageImageImageImage
Kansan Cowboy!
Ranch Hand

Will the Spread Offense work in the MWC? Are you kidding! Do we not remember Urban Meyer and Utah?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Kansan Cowboy! wrote:Will the Spread Offense work in the MWC? Are you kidding! Do we not remember Urban Meyer and Utah?
You gotta remember: Urban and his Utah team were pretty damn talented that year. But with Utah still running the spread, how long will it be before MWC defenses solve it and shut it down.
ImageImageImageImage
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

MrTitleist wrote: how long will it be before MWC defenses solve it and shut it down.
Not very long. Like in the Cowboys case September 2008, I fear.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote:
MrTitleist wrote: how long will it be before MWC defenses solve it and shut it down.
Not very long. Like in the Cowboys case September 2008, I fear.
LOL That makes no sense what so ever to me! How can this system work in the SEC!! Where defense is 1,000,000 X better then MWC defenses??????? It can work there but not here??? That makes no sense at all. Give the system time.
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Now THAT is what we need, minus the Tim Tebow running all over creation part.
Amen! Colt was robbed the last two seasons!
Great to see UW making some well needed changes on the offensive side of the ball.
Colt Brennan= Future Hall of Famer!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Great to see UW making some well needed changes on the offensive side of the ball.
Better late than never! :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Agreed! Thing is, any later probably would have resulted in Glenn's head. Glenn did the right thing!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Agreed! Thing is, any later probably would have resulted in Glenn's head. Glenn did the right thing!
Cockhill needed to be canned after the horrible ending to our 2005 season. A 4-1 start ends with a 6 game losing skid. :roll:
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
Cockhill needed to be canned after the horrible ending to our 2005 season. A 4-1 start ends with a 6 game losing skid. :roll:
That's certainly what the trend was.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
Three years of that was driving everybody in Wyoming nuts!
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I don't blame ya'll. It sort of reminded me of the Von Appen years of UH football.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
I don't blame ya'll. It sort of reminded me of the Von Appen years of UH football.
This is NOTHING!! The Keonning Years (2000-2002) makes this look like a picnic!!!