On to Utah State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

It has been a bit of a downer discussing the Boise State game, the relative talent of the teams and the woulda, coulda shouldas.

Up this week is Utah State who is playing as well as anyone in the conference. Utah State has built their program from transfers (including their QB from Arkansas State). The game is at Utah State and Utah State is favored by 6.5 points, yet I am for some reason optimistic about Wyoming's chances and the way we stack up against Utah State.

Here is part of my thinking:
1) Utah State lost both of its 'marquee' games at home to BYU and Boise State. Against Boise State, USU only scored 3 points although it did move the ball but committed 3 turnovers.
2) Utah State has a powerful offense but Wyoming has a powerful defense.
3) Utah State has not really shown itself to have a top defense and perhaps Wyoming can put up some points based on the rare glimpses we have seen this season of the run game being able to move the ball down the field and the occasional bomb to Neyor.

Overall, this is a huge game for the program and its future under Bohl. A win against USU means a bowl game and positive trajectory. A loss against USU and there are many questions about the competitiveness of Wyoming's football program in the MWC with Bohl.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

If Wyoming is to win, it will be because of one or more of the following reasons:

1. The Defense gets two more turnovers than the offense gives up AND scores off of one of them.

2. Utah St plays overconfident and uninspired.

3. The Wyoming Offense plays perfectly .... I don't mean they score a lot...I mean zero turnovers, zero penalties, zero big time negative yardage plays.

I mean...it's possible. I'm not terribly confident though. I'm saying 24-10 USU.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I'm checked out on this season. Honestly may not even watch the game. It's just so damn frustrating to watch this team piss down its collective leg.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

If I know Wyoming football, we’ll probably win this and then lose to
Hawaii.
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:39 pm If I know Wyoming football, we’ll probably win this and then lose to
Hawaii.
Then you don't know Wyoming football. We rarely beat anyone on the road, let alone the conference leader. And we usually win against mediocre teams at home.

I think it's very unlikely we hold Utah st. under 24 points. That means our anemic offense is going to have to do something very unusual - score more than 24 points in a MWC game. Hint: We've done it once.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I would feel a lot better going into this game if Utah St hadn't just destroyed San Jose St in a game that San Jose St was favored in and picked to win by many MWC prognosticators.

I also go back to the 11-32 record on the road under Bohl.

Unfortunately, give me Utah St comfortably 28-17.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

well, I don't feel great about it. Maybe the offense will score some fluky TDs and the defense will play lights out. We have like a 5% chance of winning this. Go Pokes!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I know the coaching staff isn't this way but it seems they are content to lose close games on the road. usu will oblige. I don't think it gets too out of hand but I don't think the game will be in doubt either.

I hope I'm wrong. It'd be nice to finish out with 2 straight conference wins and a bowl win.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:11 pm
laxwyo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:39 pm If I know Wyoming football, we’ll probably win this and then lose to
Hawaii.
Then you don't know Wyoming football. We rarely beat anyone on the road, let alone the conference leader. And we usually win against mediocre teams at home.

I think it's very unlikely we hold Utah st. under 24 points. That means our anemic offense is going to have to do something very unusual - score more than 24 points in a MWC game. Hint: We've done it once.
This is the crappiest conference leader in 10 years
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am
Hawaii.

MWC is stout this year. Best Massey ratings in many years.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:08 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 am
Hawaii.

MWC is stout this year. Best Massey ratings in many years.
They squeaked by csu, they squeaked by unlv. Maybe they’re hitting their stride after the SJSU game, but this is not an auto L.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LKGates
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

Hey guys, Utah State fan here.

I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm really anxious about it. I don't think any Aggie in his right mind is taking this for granted. Your team is better than your record would suggest. The defense, especially, is stout. If we're going to win it, we're going to have to earn it. Having said that, I think if we take care of business, we should be a slight favorite. I'm looking for a low scoring slug-fest.

We love having Wyoming in town. You guys always bring a good contingent. And this has turned into my favorite rivalry, not just for USU, but for the whole conference. From what I've seen, at the end of the game, no matter who wins, there are lots of smiles and handshakes. The rivalry is intense, but there's no animosity. I feel like we have more in common with the folks at UW than with any other fan base in the conference. Wyoming is USU's fourth most played opponent, after Utah, BYU, and CSU. Conversely, we're your fifth most played opponent, after CSU, Utah, BYU and New Mexico.

So, I hope we win this one. There's a lot at stake for both teams. I hope there are no injuries, and that your folks have a safe ride home afterward.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

LKGates wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 pm Hey guys, Utah State fan here.

I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm really anxious about it. I don't think any Aggie in his right mind is taking this for granted. Your team is better than your record would suggest. The defense, especially, is stout. If we're going to win it, we're going to have to earn it. Having said that, I think if we take care of business, we should be a slight favorite. I'm looking for a low scoring slug-fest.

We love having Wyoming in town. You guys always bring a good contingent. And this has turned into my favorite rivalry, not just for USU, but for the whole conference. From what I've seen, at the end of the game, no matter who wins, there are lots of smiles and handshakes. The rivalry is intense, but there's no animosity. I feel like we have more in common with the folks at UW than with any other fan base in the conference. Wyoming is USU's fourth most played opponent, after Utah, BYU, and CSU. Conversely, we're your fifth most played opponent, after CSU, Utah, BYU and New Mexico.

So, I hope we win this one. There's a lot at stake for both teams. I hope there are no injuries, and that your folks have a safe ride home afterward.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
I will always be pulling for the Aggies when they aren't playing the Pokes or could negatively impact our standing. Have really enjoyed going to Logan for games over the years.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Nope don't feel it, nor will i/we see a win in Logan, as much as that sux to say it...too much of a roller coaster with this team..
I think we get handled, 13-38, sure hope I'm wrong
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LKGates wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 pm Hey guys, Utah State fan here.

Go Pokes! Go AGGIES!
Don't think you need to worry too much about defeating this team. If you simply play mistake free ball you'll win. Cowboys won't score more than 14 points.
USU78
Buckaroo

The best I hope for is a one score win in a sloppy, hard-hitting, low-scoring game not decided until the final possession. If that doesn't play right into Wyoming's hands on a cold, wet, night at 4500', I don't know what does.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

USU78 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:28 pm The best I hope for is a one score win in a sloppy, hard-hitting, low-scoring game not decided until the final possession. If that doesn't play right into Wyoming's hands on a cold, wet, night at 4500', I don't know what does.
The only real chance we have is if our O line can open up running lanes on a consistent basis. If we can chew up the clock with long drives that end in TDs, we can do it. If wyo wins it’ll be a 21-17 win. If Utah wins, it’ll be 28-13.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

A lot of folks were down on Wyoming’s chances. I felt good about how we matched up with USU but was not expecting domination. This may be the most complete game the team has ever played under Bohl with all 3 phases clicking.

I’m not going to focus on the woulda, coulda, shouldas but we have to keep the momentum rolling against Hawaii. A New Mexico Bowl birth is not a bad December trip. Let’s go Pokes!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am A lot of folks were down on Wyoming’s chances. I felt good about how we matched up with USU but was not expecting domination. This may be the most complete game the team has ever played under Bohl with all 3 phases clicking.

I’m not going to focus on the woulda, coulda, shouldas but we have to keep the momentum rolling against Hawaii. A New Mexico Bowl birth is not a bad December trip. Let’s go Pokes!
I know we all appreciate a trip to the New Mexico Bowl, however I feel differently. Been there both times we played, I personally would enjoy a change of scenery. I've seen and been to Boise as well. Didn't make the Poinsettia, but I have seen projections including us in Hawaii, although I know alot of folks couldn't make that trip, I feel recruiting wise seeing multiple bowl names and multiple trips would be something I as a recruit would like. Not the team that always makes the New Mexico Bowl.