***Hawai'i Warriors Thread***

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I will keep you all updated on the Warriors in this Thread. I'll start with a quote from Davone Bess. Arguably one of the best WRs in the country. Despite Hawaii beating Fresno 68-37 @Fresno last year Davone is still looking for revenge at the Bulldogs......
"My school(High School) has a history of sending players to Fresno State. I wasn't fortunate enough," the smile returning, but, for now, it is sarcastic. "I wasn't as gifted as those guys. It definitely motivates me. I'm going to go into this with a chip on my shoulder, Ready to play, ready to fight, not literally fight, just compete." ~ Bess.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

This team has a destiny. Warriors beat Nevada @ their place with our backup QB. Next Boise State, the game is already a sellout. 50K people not happy with the Donkeys. This is the WAC Title, this is where Hawaii rises!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I watched the game until halftime the other night.. I gotta say, I wasn't impressed with either team, from what I saw. It definitely wasn't an offensive struggle, but certainly wasn't a defensive one either. Nevada looked sloppy, mostly from the QB position. He was off target much of the night (at least until halftime), and wasn't executing well. UNRs running back Lippincott is the real deal.. that guy is good, for being a tall, lanky white guy. I love watching their pistol offense.. very innovative. Hawaii, on the other side of the ball, looked good with their passing game, but didn't blow me away. Graunke isn't a prototypical #2 QB, especially in Hawaii's offensive scheme. Though, I was curious about bringing Graunke, Funaki, and Brennan into the game in three consecutive plays.. strange playcalling. Hawaii's going to find out if they're the real deal or not when they face off against Boise State. I'd be willing to say that a BCS bowl bid is on the line with this game. But as the announcers pointed out, Hawaii has played three of the worst teams in football this year, and the strength of schedule has been the worst in 1-A football. Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern have been REALLY bad this year, and Utah State is certainly not helping that either. The Nevada and Fresno tests were good, but Boise is the cream of the crop in the WAC. This week we'll find out what both teams are made of, should be a great game.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:I watched the game until halftime the other night.. I gotta say, I wasn't impressed with either team, from what I saw. It definitely wasn't an offensive struggle, but certainly wasn't a defensive one either. Nevada looked sloppy, mostly from the QB position. He was off target much of the night (at least until halftime), and wasn't executing well. UNRs running back Lippincott is the real deal.. that guy is good, for being a tall, lanky white guy. I love watching their offense.. very innovative. Hawaii, on the other side of the ball, looked good with their passing game, but didn't blow me away. Graunke isn't a prototypical #2 QB, especially in Hawaii's offensive scheme. Though, I was curious about bringing Graunke, Funaki, and Brennan into the game in three consecutive plays.. strange playcalling. Hawaii's going to find out if they're the real deal or not when they face off against Boise State. I'd be willing to say that a BCS bowl bid is on the line with this game. But as the announcers pointed out, Hawaii has played three of the worst teams in football this year, and the strength of schedule has been the worst in 1-A football. Northern Colorado and Charleston Southern have been REALLY bad this year, and Utah State is certainly not helping that either. The Nevada and Fresno tests were good, but Boise is the cream of the crop in the WAC. This week we'll find out what both teams are made of, should be a great game.
LOL, you missed the best parts of the game.

Graunke did what he needed to do, he isn't the best QB, but he came through. Boise State has barely gotten past UH the past 2 years, last year it took a reversed call for them to win at Boise. Brennan has absolutely owned this team on offense, O expect the same. Boise will be depleted at RB, Avery and Harper are out. Which is huge. Boise has yet to play a team like UH. They have yet to play in front of 50K, they haven't played in the heat like this. And they're mind set won't be right with the talk of Peterson leaving for Nebraska hovering over their head. There will not be any luck for BSU this time, no winning on a blocked EX Point, no winning on a reversed call, just shear pain and misery. This UH team stepped up on Defense, remember that same Nevada team racked up 683 Total yards and 67 points on Boise, they didn't even put up half of that against UH, and our game was in Nevada. At the end of the day Boise will begin their decline. They will need a new coach and they won't have the WAC Championship trophy any more.

Here come the Warriors!!!!

Eō nā toa, eō nā toa e!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I'll put it this way MrTitlest, you know those Griz playoff games where you have some strong school coming in and they look better then the Griz, they act like their better, but what they don't expect is a loud and hostile Wa-Griz and they end up consumed by that and the conditions. Well Boise is about to walk into the same trap.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

J-Rod wrote:I'll put it this way MrTitlest, you know those Griz playoff games where you have some strong school coming in and they look better then the Griz, they act like their better, but what they don't expect is a loud and hostile Wa-Griz and they end up consumed by that and the conditions. Well Boise is about to walk into the same trap.
...that's pretty much every weekend at Washington-Grizzly. This weekend, Wofford is the lucky ducks coming to get their reaming! 11-0 baby!!

I wouldn't overlook Boise though.. because they're still Boise, and still pretty good. They're most definitely a battle tested team.

Is Brennan going to play this week or are they still holding him out?
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:
J-Rod wrote:I'll put it this way MrTitlest, you know those Griz playoff games where you have some strong school coming in and they look better then the Griz, they act like their better, but what they don't expect is a loud and hostile Wa-Griz and they end up consumed by that and the conditions. Well Boise is about to walk into the same trap.
...that's pretty much every weekend at Washington-Grizzly. This weekend, Wofford is the lucky ducks coming to get their reaming! 11-0 baby!!

I wouldn't overlook Boise though.. because they're still Boise, and still pretty good. They're most definitely a battle tested team.

Brennan will start and play the whole game. This past game was just a precaution. Yeah I'm weary of how good BSU is, but we've been in this position before. In 2001 we played BYU at home, they were #7 in the nation, we ended up scoring 72 points in that game and torching them. They will never forget it to. This game has the same feeling of that game. Boise doesn't have a prayer. Oh BTW Boise will be without star RBs Jeremy Avery and D.J. Harper, which is HUGE!!!! practically 40% of their offense out the door.

good luck against Wofford, should be a fairly good game, UM should win by 14+ though.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

J-Rod wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:

Brennan will start and play the whole game. This past game was just a precaution. Yeah I'm weary of how good BSU is, but we've been in this position before. In 2001 we played BYU at home, they were #7 in the nation, we ended up scoring 72 points in that game and torching them. They will never forget it to. This game has the same feeling of that game. Boise doesn't have a prayer. Oh BTW Boise will be without star RBs Jeremy Avery and D.J. Harper, which is HUGE!!!! practically 40% of their offense out the door.

good luck against Wofford, should be a fairly good game, UM should win by 14+ though.
Wofford runs a Navy style offense, a lot of triple option/wishbone.. different than anything we've seen this year, but we've got speedy linebackers and defensive ends.. so we should keep them at bay.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

I believe it was your secondary that was struggling right? Not a good match up for Wofford. So when UM wins who will they likely play in Round 2?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

J-Rod wrote:I believe it was your secondary that was struggling right? Not a good match up for Wofford. So when UM wins who will they likely play in Round 2?
Yeah, secondary is a little thin, get burned deep kinda often. Likely round 2 matchup would be the Richmond Spiders or the Eastern Kentucky Colonels.. would be another home game.
ImageImageImageImage
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

How about them Warriors? Everyone thinks we're going to go down but it just won't happen. The Warriors continue to battle adversity time and time again and come out successful. This is a team of destiny. They refuse to lose! 10-0 and counting, baby... BSU won't know what hit 'em! 8-)
Colt Brennan= Future Hall of Famer!!!!!!!!!
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

uhwarrior23 wrote:How about them Warriors? Everyone thinks we're going to go down but it just won't happen. The Warriors continue to battle adversity time and time again and come out successful. This is a team of destiny. They refuse to lose! 10-0 and counting, baby... BSU won't know what hit 'em! 8-)

Good luck Rainbows... :)

GO POKES!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

tttgowyo wrote:
uhwarrior23 wrote:How about them Warriors? Everyone thinks we're going to go down but it just won't happen. The Warriors continue to battle adversity time and time again and come out successful. This is a team of destiny. They refuse to lose! 10-0 and counting, baby... BSU won't know what hit 'em! 8-)

They are not the Rainbows anymore.

As for me, this game worries me. Reminds me of the 1988 Houston game for Wyoming.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
tttgowyo wrote:

As for me, this game worries me. Reminds me of the 1988 Houston game for Wyoming.
We are not Wyoming and Boise is not Houston. Wyokie you definitly have never been to Aloha Stadium before, cause when its rocking, we are invincible.....
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
tttgowyo wrote:

We are not Wyoming and Boise is not Houston. Wyokie you definitly have never been to Aloha Stadium before, cause when its rocking, we are invincible.....
We shall see. But, I still think this game scares me.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

So... one more game and the Warriors are in a BCS game.. exciting stuff. I did watch the game the other night vs. Boise.. good stuff from both teams, but Boise was outmatched against the run and shoot. The wide recievers, Rivers and Grice-Mullen are the real deal, I think. Both make outstanding catches. I'm still not too sold on Brennan as an NFL QB. He's got a LOT of stigma to drop before draft day comes.. and that includes taking snaps under center.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Isaw the game too. Outright WAC Champions! Never thought I'd see the day.

The hottest selling thing on the islands right now is WAC Champions t-shirts. I REALLY don't remember seeing any WAC Champions t-shirt after Wyoming won the title in 1987 and in 1988 but a very close friend of mine in Torrington said that she's 95% sure there WERE WAC Champion t-shirts back then. So....

Plus the travel agencies in Hawaii are going nutz trying to help people get bowl packages (hotel, airfare, etc...) for either Tempe or New Orleans.
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

MrTitleist wrote:So... one more game and the Warriors are in a BCS game.. exciting stuff. I did watch the game the other night vs. Boise.. good stuff from both teams, but Boise was outmatched against the run and shoot. The wide recievers, Rivers and Grice-Mullen are the real deal, I think. Both make outstanding catches. I'm still not too sold on Brennan as an NFL QB. He's got a LOT of stigma to drop before draft day comes.. and that includes taking snaps under center.
The BSU game didn't suprise me at all. I knew this Hawaii team was the real deal from the start. We've had a lot of very good teams under Coach Jones but the difference between those teams and this team is this team knows how to win. This is also the best defensive team we've had since Coach Jones has been here. We've always had great offenses but now we can win games on defense and special teams.
As for Colt, he's been the best player in the country the last 2 years and should at the very least get a ticket to New York. He has a bright future in the NFL. He can make all the throws, he's already proven he can take snaps from under center and he has all the intangibles. He just needs to put on 15-20 lbs then I think he'll be ready to run an NFL team as early as next fall!
8-)
uhwarrior23
Ranch Hand

UH-Boise State tops ESPN's Fridays

By Ferd Lewis
Advertiser Staff Writer

It wasn't just the University of Hawai'i that had reason to celebrate the Warriors' Western Athletic Conference championship game victory over Boise State.

ESPN was also rejoicing after the game produced the largest audience, 2,647,000 households, of its 14 Friday night college football games on ESPN or ESPN2 this season. And the WAC is hopeful it will be ammunition for an improved network television contract.

"That (2.8 share) was also ESPN2's best rating (overall) of 2007, a great rating," said Mike Humes, an ESPN spokesman.

"Those are pretty darn good numbers," said WAC commissioner Karl Benson, who has been looking for solid ratings to take to the negotiating table when contract renewal talks resume with ESPN. The WAC Board of Directors, which is composed of the presidents or chancellors of the nine member schools, has twice turned down ESPN extension offers.

The six-year contract runs through the 2009-10 academic year.

The existing agreement pays the WAC approximately $6 million over six years and guarantees a minimum number of appearances for football (8) and men's basketball (3) each season spread over the ESPN network of ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. Both subsequent extension offers from ESPN have carried improved financial terms, but Benson said, "I can't disclose how much."

The WAC also has sought a rights fee more in line with the seven-year, $48 million deal the Mountain West Conference has with College Sports Television. The MWC, however, has been burdened by a deal where many of its televised games are not available in areas represented by conference members.

UH has appeared in three Friday games this season — San Jose State, Nevada and Boise State. Saturday's UH-Washington game will be the Warriors' sixth appearance on an ESPN property this season, a school record and matching a WAC best.

Reach Ferd Lewis at [email protected].
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... e=UHsports
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Meanwhile, nobody can see any MWC games. The unversity prezs and "Hair" Thompson royally screwed the MWC fans good.