Is CSU's new ball park actually a disadvantage for CSU?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'll give them a few things:

1. On campus helps with ticket sales.
2. They can report a lot more attendance regardless of attendance because of 5000 magical floating SRO seats.
3. It looks like a nice building with modern amenities to maximize game day revenue.

Negatives:

1. They owe a quarter of a billion to pay off the debt.
2. They pissed off a lot of the casual Fort Collins crowd building it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

3. No one actually stays past the first half. Yeah, we have the same problem, but not nearly to the same degree as CSU. Over half the stadium clears out for EVERY game, regardless of kick-off time, and regardless of opponent. The later the kick time determines that less people stay. How long will it take for people in conference to learn that all you have to do is weather the storm during the first half, and the second half will be like playing in an empty stadium: at a neutral site? It has to be disheartening for the CSU players when they have a huge opportunity like they did vs. Boise and no one stays to watch them collapse at the end. Would they collapse at the end if fans stayed to cheer them on?

Leave it to CSU athletics to build 250 million dollar stadium that is an ACTUAL disadvantage to game day atmosphere.

Bravo CSU!!

Bravo!!
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 am No one actually stays past the first half.
I think the pot shops close early in FC.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

I don’t know what the problem is but these late night games are killers for attendance regardless of which mwc team you talk to. It’s a lot easier to sit in bed or your favorite easy chair then going to 30 degrees that ends after midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am I don’t know what the problem is but these late night games are killers for attendance regardless of which mwc team you talk to. It’s a lot easier to sit in bed or your favorite easy chair then going to 30 degrees that ends after midnight.

Agreed, but CSU had this problem all year long. Their stadium was half empty for Oregon State in the second half and that game kicked off at 12:30, in the opener of their new stadium.

For whatever reason, CSU fans don't stay for the second half.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

The biggest issue facing CSU (and every other MWC team) is the conference selling their souls to ESPN for the scraps left over from P5 teams. Who in their right mind thinks its a wise decision to play an 815 kick off in November at schools at or above the mile high mark? Its miserable for fans to sit through these games when its freezing and the odds are high you wont be home until after midnight. Would love to see the conference adopt a streaming only mentality like on Stadium or god forbid the conference actually step up and get a network going again. Never going to happen but we can dream cant we?
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It’s not so bad for the west division but sucks for us in the mountain division

C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am I don’t know what the problem is but these late night games are killers for attendance regardless of which mwc team you talk to. It’s a lot easier to sit in bed or your favorite easy chair then going to 30 degrees that ends after midnight.

Agreed, but CSU had this problem all year long. Their stadium was half empty for Oregon State in the second half and that game kicked off at 12:30, in the opener of their new stadium.

For whatever reason, CSU fans don't stay for the second half.
It was over 100 degrees for the Oregon state game and they ran out of water to sell. That's the game they should have played at night.
But I think it's fair to say their fans are less than rabid.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm The biggest issue facing CSU (and every other MWC team) is the conference selling their souls to ESPN for the scraps left over from P5 teams. Who in their right mind thinks its a wise decision to play an 815 kick off in November at schools at or above the mile high mark? Its miserable for fans to sit through these games when its freezing and the odds are high you wont be home until after midnight. Would love to see the conference adopt a streaming only mentality like on Stadium or god forbid the conference actually step up and get a network going again. Never going to happen but we can dream cant we?
I was in Colorado visiting my daughter and went to Colorado Springs for the game last night. We stayed until the end of the game, and ended up getting back to her house around 1:10AM. Being from Nevada, I can tell you it was a cold SOB for me, especially with that nice breeze blowing in. Fun game to watch but I agree that a late kick off time in November is crazy.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Somebody did the math last night of roughly how many tickets it would take to break even compared to current ESPN revenue. I think it was like 4k more.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm Somebody did the math last night of roughly how many tickets it would take to break even compared to current ESPN revenue. I think it was like 4k more.
Surely, that can't be right. You have to figure, t.v. is paying us 1.3 million for football and basketball rights. That's 6 home games a year for football and 15 for basketball. With beer sales and increased concessions, I would bet that total would be closer to 2000 for football and 500 for basketball.

I prefer the internet streams over cable coverage anyway. The commercial breaks go to black out and I don't have to listen to advertising. It's fantastic.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:19 pm
joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:32 pm Somebody did the math last night of roughly how many tickets it would take to break even compared to current ESPN revenue. I think it was like 4k more.
Surely, that can't be right. You have to figure, t.v. is paying us for football and basketball rights. That's 6 home games a year for football and 15 for basketball. With beer sales and increased concessions, I would bet that total would be closer to 2000 for football and 500 for basketball.

I prefer the internet streams over cable coverage anyway. The commercial breaks go to black out and I don't have to listen to advertising. It's fantastic.
Without advertising, where’s the money?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:27 pm
Surely, that can't be right. You have to figure, t.v. is paying us for football and basketball rights. That's 6 home games a year for football and 15 for basketball. With beer sales and increased concessions, I would bet that total would be closer to 2000 for football and 500 for basketball.

Without advertising, where’s the money?
It's generated from game day revenue. I don't know. When I watched the basketball stream on GoWyo, the commercials go to black out. I prefer that over poop commercials of t.v. broadcasts.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Surely, that can't be right. You have to figure, t.v. is paying us 1.3 million for football and basketball rights. That's 6 home games a year for football and 15 for basketball. With beer sales and increased concessions, I would bet that total would be closer to 2000 for football and 500 for basketball
Here's the tweet. Was just looking at tickets.
https://twitter.com/ScottNulph/status/9 ... 2799612928
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:44 pm
Surely, that can't be right. You have to figure, t.v. is paying us 1.3 million for football and basketball rights. That's 6 home games a year for football and 15 for basketball. With beer sales and increased concessions, I would bet that total would be closer to 2000 for football and 500 for basketball
Here's the tweet. Was just looking at tickets.
https://twitter.com/ScottNulph/status/9 ... 2799612928
Yeah, so he just figured off football alone and didn't figure that we would also get any increase from basketball as well, increase in booze sales...concessions.

It's almost worth it to get rid of being ESPN's midnight bitch.

National Champions 1943.

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Ok, so how much would a person pay to watch all wyo football games streaming ala center Ice/Sunday ticket?

W-Y, Until I Die!
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

If you are looking for a number, I'd probably pay $20 per game to see all of the road games streaming. I'm in Laramie so I'm at all the home games.

ww
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

I would love to get rid of night games
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 pm The biggest issue facing CSU (and every other MWC team) is the conference selling their souls to ESPN for the scraps left over from P5 teams. Who in their right mind thinks its a wise decision to play an 815 kick off in November at schools at or above the mile high mark? Its miserable for fans to sit through these games when its freezing and the odds are high you wont be home until after midnight. Would love to see the conference adopt a streaming only mentality like on Stadium or god forbid the conference actually step up and get a network going again. Never going to happen but we can dream cant we?
I'd be curious what the ad revenue was looking like for the games on Stadium. They had around 10K viewers for the last Wyo (at USU) game I watched on there. I did like how they would bring up traditions and things like that in timeout instead of commercials too.

I'd think that would be the holy grail of advertising. You have people watching the game that actually want to watch the game. You have their age, the deed, location, interests, marital status, etc. A continuous chat and interactivity with the announcers.

I think they have barely scratched the surface of this new model.

Edit: Think about this - pretend the Boise vs Wyo game 2016 was on Stadium last year. After the safety, CJC targeted ads towards Cowboy fans at the new CJC Safety level for $100. I bet they could have added a few hundred boosters quickly.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 am
I'd be curious what the ad revenue was looking like for the games on Stadium. They had around 10K viewers for the last Wyo (at USU) game I watched on there. I did like how they would bring up traditions and things like that in timeout instead of commercials too.

I'd think that would be the holy grail of advertising. You have people watching the game that actually want to watch the game. You have their age, the deed, location, interests, marital status, etc. A continuous chat and interactivity with the announcers.

Edit: Think about this - pretend the Boise vs Wyo game 2016 was on Stadium last year. After the safety, CJC targeted ads towards Cowboy fans at the new CJC Safety level for $100. I bet they could have added a few hundred boosters quickly.
I agree with this completely. IN the next decade chord cutting will become the norm and sports streaming and advertising is going to have to follow suit. I think you're going to see offerings like Stadium start to dominate the landscape and they will offer more focused, regional advertisements and information. It is a win win. For the for the fans, like you mentioned, its the games they want to watch at times that make sense. For the advertisers they can take a fair amount of the guess work out and really drill down to the specific demographic watching and focus their advertisements on that specific demographic.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 am
WyoBrandX wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 am

I agree with this completely. IN the next decade chord cutting will become the norm and sports streaming and advertising is going to have to follow suit. I think you're going to see offerings like Stadium start to dominate the landscape and they will offer more focused, regional advertisements and information. It is a win win. For the for the fans, like you mentioned, its the games they want to watch at times that make sense. For the advertisers they can take a fair amount of the guess work out and really drill down to the specific demographic watching and focus their advertisements on that specific demographic.
I'm not sure its going to take a decade to make cord cutting the norm. I think in 5 years, the only people using the traditional models will be people that haven't really adopted to the changes - the elderly.

Big Cable is scared. They were able to kill off the dial-up and DSL providers pretty quickly at the turn of the century and build some big regional monopolies. Then the streaming services came along, and your seeing people drop traditional tv packages at a faster growing rate. This is why ESPN has been firing so many people - they are over priced - and losing revenue. It won't be long until they can't afford to prop up the P5 with over inflated TV money.

One of the biggest hurdles could be Net Neutrality. I encourage everyone who enjoys being able to access whatever content they want on the Internet to support Net Neutrality. While this has been a long debate since the mid 90's, its a growing priority for the cable companies to get Net Neutrality rules removed so they can control 3rd party streaming content and force Revenue Generating Units (customers) back into their own traditional models - so they don't have to risk innovation.

I truly think a lack of competition in Internet Service Providers has brought this debate back again. It is a brave new world, but I think the best thing is giving the consumers what they want, not what the cable co wants.