Iowa thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

and roll call, I know we did that earlier but it's good for refresher purposes, myself plus a family of 4 and meeting another family of 3 in IC a UW grad as well. Should be fun and glad that I got 1/2 day so don't hafta worry all night to get there Fri/Sat nite/morning. What's everyone really think.

I think it'll be a feel out session early in the game and we'll give up an occasional big play and stuff, but I think we truly see the stud that is JA and we go on a game winning drive and beat the Hawkeyes 31-27. Cmon Pokes get er done, we're due and I've always said i'll be at an away stadium for an upset, LET THAT BE THE YEAR!!!

The 1-2 punch of Whadley and Butler kinda scares me, shore up the swiss cheese D Pokes
Last edited by stymeman on Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Leaving at 2:00 a.m. from Parker, Colorado in the morning to meet fellow UW alum from Wheatland in Cheyenne at 4:00 a.m. and then crossing I-80 to Iowa City to the alumni function on Friday night.
GO POKES
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Douglaspoke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 am Leaving at 2:00 a.m. from Parker, Colorado in the morning to meet fellow UW alum from Wheatland in Cheyenne at 4:00 a.m. and then crossing I-80 to Iowa City to the alumni function on Friday night.
GO POKES
Must be tonight/tomorrow right
KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

I'm curious how things are going to go with Brian Ferentz as our OC. He definitely has more of an edge to him (at least publicly). Historically, Iowa isn't the type of team to go for the jugular, but rather try to out-execute the opponent and develop players fundamentally, sometimes at the expense of winning football games. This does typically lead to better performance against upper level teams (see Michigan last year) where Iowa isn't absolutely out-athleted.

To beat Iowa, you need to take what's given early on, then look to exploit matchups as the game goes on. If you have a good slot receiver, you may be able to pick on the LB lined up across from him. If you have trouble scoring TDs and need to settle for FGs due to sputtering in the red zone, you're in trouble.

Typically, when Iowa comes out on their first offensive drive and it leads to a methodical TD, we're in for a good Hawkeye performance. When they don't, it's anybody's game.

I think the crux of the game rests on Iowa's ability to pressure Allen with the front four. Our current DC has shown more of a propensity to blitz than our previous one, but this has also led to giving up bigger plays. I prefer the low risk approach, personally, especially when dealing with the amount of ability your QB has.

Keep an eye out for AJ Epenesa at DE, true frosh, five star, legacy recruit. He's already turned heads in camp and will do nothing but improve. The kid has a very legit all-pro future already.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Hey knight, can u give the fans making the trip any ideas for good food. Pullman diner, her soup? I'm guessing everything is going to be crazy busy on Saturday.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

My wife and I are taking off Friday after work and heading across Nebraska/Iowa. Will stop somewhere along the way and crash for a couple hours and plan on getting into IC around 7-8 oclock and meeting up with some friends that live in Iowa. Excited for the trip.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

Key's to the game:

Make them beat us through the Air. If they have a field day running the ball we are going to lose.

Next we need a balanced attack that is just as dangerous in the air as on the ground to keep them off balance and we need to win time of possession.

It's reasonable and it's certainly possible to come out with a win but it's not going to be handed to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am Hey knight, can u give the fans making the trip any ideas for good food. Pullman diner, her soup? I'm guessing everything is going to be crazy busy on Saturday.
Moonraker's or Short's Burgers; Wig and Pen or Pagliai Pizza; Orchard Green, Chez Grace or Baroncini for fine dining; Hamburg Inn for breakfast; Basta (Italian), La Regia Taqueria (Mexican), Monica's, Atlas Grill, Blackstone or Iowa River Power for more standard dining.

Also Red's Alehouse in North Liberty has the best beer selection in the area and good food.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:44 am Hey knight, can u give the fans making the trip any ideas for good food. Pullman diner, her soup? I'm guessing everything is going to be crazy busy on Saturday.
I've heard good things about Amana Colonies about 1/2 hour NW, good German food if you like that!!! I'm there, lol
tuckerusa
Buckaroo

The battle begins in the trenches on either side of the football.

Only third meeting in series and 19 points was the total allowed by Iowa in the Holiday Bowl match up. Iowa only garnered 20 points, so it should be an interesting chess match.

We would be shocked by a repeat of the 21-7 win of 1953 at Kinnick or should we be, as Iowa prides themselves on some low scoring affairs, like last year's 14-13 over Michigan.

Both teams won twice against Top 25 opponents, though one each finished there. Of course, we turn the page to a new season.

Iowa's running game may go 4 deep in 2017, with two headliners. Wyoming is going with a committee approach, with 3 players mentioned.

Who gets consistent pressure on the QB?

Does Josh Allen stay in the pocket and deliver?

How does QB Nate Stanley handle his first start for the Hawkeyes?

Welcome back to a B1G venue, after at MSU in 2014 (56-14, L) and at Nebraksa in 2016 (52-17, L).

Special teams, penalties, miscues and turnovers will play a huge role in the season opener.

Both teams will have some playmakers in special teams, as well, as questions. Both teams have a new punter in 2016, so who wins the game within a game of field position?

This game will be closer than not, compared to Craig Bohl's first two B1G road trips.

Wyoming has dropped ten straight vs. current Power 5 teams.

Last win, 2008 at Tennessee, 13-7, as Joe Glenn's final Wyoming team finished 4-8.

My pick: Iowa is able to pull away:

Iowa 33
Wyoming 19

In Iowa's loss in 2013, NIU hung around and pulled off a 30-27 win, fueled by an interception.

Wyoming is 1-14 in road openers, with win at Bowling Green in 2011.

Iowa is 14-2, since Kirk Ferentz's first bowl season as head coach. The Dean of college head coaches is in his 19th season as HC, his 28th overall (1981-1989 as OL coach).

First game as HC was the 1999 opener vs. Nebraska.

Bohl was DC for UNL. The Iowa team was not good in the trenches on either side of the ball.

For success in 2017, Iowa will need to be strong in the trenches, and that is where Iowa is most experienced, including at LB.

Enjoy your trip to Iowa City. We each agree on the polka to play ...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KnightHawk21
Buckaroo

stymeman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:37 am
I've heard good things about Amana Colonies about 1/2 hour NW, good German food if you like that!!! I'm there, lol
Yes, the Amanas are good too. Only a few options there now (Ox Yoke, Ronneburg and Millstream).
GhostofBTT
Buckaroo

pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:49 am Key's to the game:

Make them beat us through the Air. If they have a field day running the ball we are going to lose.

Next we need a balanced attack that is just as dangerous in the air as on the ground to keep them off balance and we need to win time of possession.

It's reasonable and it's certainly possible to come out with a win but it's not going to be handed to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While it's possible Iowa could lose, it's certainly not reasonable. Iowa has a defense loaded with NFL talent, while Wyoming has Jeff Alan (who I believe is the product of cousins marrying) and a bunch of beta nerds who couldn't get scholarships to real programs. If Iowa lets you finish within 2 touchdowns, I would consider that a win for you.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 am
Yes, the Amanas are good too. Only a few options there now (Ox Yoke, Ronneburg and Millstream).
Ox Yoke reservation made for Saturday nite 7pm!!!
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

KnightHawk21 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 am
Amana is nice, not sure about hours after the game though. Iowa River Power is pretty similar food-wise to The Calvaryman (that said I haven't been to IRP in 5 years and the Calvaryman in about 7). With how early the game is, you could probably stay in Des Moines and have a ton more food options and it won't be nearly as crazy.
52-56
RTR
Buckaroo

Man to man could be the key. Put 8 in the box. However, that is not Wyoming football for now. Go Pokes Roll Tide Roll...it's football season!
MelroseHawkins
Buckaroo

Iowa's center 2015 recruit James Daniels. This is Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gD9NySCZ1M
BarryZuckerkorn
Buckaroo

MelroseHawkins wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am Iowa's center 2015 recruit James Daniels. This is Iowa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gD9NySCZ1M
It's current Packers DT Mike Daniels narrating the vid, not James Daniels.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Just watched some akrum wadley highlights... Dude's a beast. Truthfully

We have enough speed on the back end to help, but it is truly going to be a test for our front seven. Unlike our conference brothers, we face a true nfl running back tomorrow. Our linebacker play has to be excellent, which all hinges on our ability to get a push up front.

Wadley does everything well. They use him to check down, drag across, and wheel route... That's in addition to his dynamic ability to run inside and out. He has great patience and will cut back against the grain of the blocking scheme.

He has a glaring weakness though... He always, and I mean always, carries the ball loosely in his right hand, even when rushing to the left side of the field. Hopefully we can knock it out.

With no turnovers tomorrow, I don't see us holding them under the 21 point mark. Offensively we should be ok... I think we can score 4 touchdowns.

Special teams may be a deciding factor tomorrow. Field goals, long field after punts, and return yardage. I'm seeing a point differential of 7 points. Their qb play has big questions if they feel they need to push late in the half or in the forth.

This is gonna be a good one.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Iowas game plan will not be a secret. They lost most of their receivers. They lost their qb. They lost their o.c. They've got a new o.c. that's never been an o.c. before. Their pass game looked awful in their spring game this year.

This is all coming off a season when Iowa's offense finished 121st in the nation in total yardage.

Iowas offensive line gave up 30 sacks last year(how the hell they got voted the best offensive line in college football is beyond me). They gave up 30 sacks the year before last.

They HAVE to run the ball.

We're going to stack the box and see if an inept passing/total yardage offense(with a great run blocking offensive line) can run the ball on us. They've got good tight ends, so we have to be careful not to get burned by tight ends running straight down the field on play action, although they didn't have a qb in their spring game that could complete a pass longer then 10 yards.

We're going to load up the box and see if they can run on 8 in the box. Why wouldn't we?

They have no idea how good our defensive ends are. Prosser and Granderson could be huge for us if we can limit them on first and second down. On third and long.... release the hounds. We'll get turnovers if we can pressure their young qb.

121st in total offense.....and 30 sacks last year.....

Their only hope to score points is to run on us, and power teams struggled to rush the ball on our poop defense we had last year.

:D

I like our chances.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Here is their spring game. They rarely throw downfield and that's for a reason. Their qb's are piss poor at throwing the ball. Their receivers can't catch. They struggle to complete short routes. Their passing game looks completely inept.

Our defense has to be salivating to face these guys.

Expect our defense to play poop loads of cover 1.

Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.