If Carl Granderson stays healthy, is he going to the NFL THIS SEASON with Josh Allen?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I think he is.

Carl Granderson averaged a sack a game before he went down last year, facing double teams almost every down. This year he has the added benefit of 2 d tackles that can generate interior rush, and a loaded group of defensive ends. Teams are going to have to make hard choices on who you double: Prosser is extremely under-rated, and Ghaifan and Malulua can both get in the backfield.

He also benefits from a defensive coordinator that has a better plan then stunt on every down and bring your safeties to the line of scrimmage like a bat out of hell.

Carl Granderson, like Josh Allen, has prototypical NFL size, speed and strength for his position.

If he stays healthy this year, he just might break the Wyoming sack record.

I know it's a depressing thought that we might lose 2 guys early to the NFL in the same season. It also speaks to the job our coaches are doing in identifying and developing overlooked players into the type of guys that NFL scouts drool over.

Here's another prediction, since I'm not scurred to go out on a limb.

If Carl recovers from the injury at full strength and if he stays healthy this year.......Granderson is going cash a check the same day or the day after Josh Allen.

What do you think Poke fans?
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
pokecountant
Ranch Hand

I think it's certainly possible. A lot of "ifs" involved in your prediction but I have to agree, he has the tools. Just needs the stats and film to prove what we already think. I say, if he gets 12-15 sacks, he could definitely be on the radar of a few teams. I think at media days people talked about how other team's players in the MWC could benefit from the amount of coverage that the league gets due to Josh Allen, what no one mentioned was the fact that our own players will be scouted by NFL teams incident to the scouting they are doing on Allen. Granderson could and should capitalize.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

He would have to put up exceptional numbers to get on the NFL radar this year. He would also have to keep his weight at 250lbs. Can he keep it there for an entire season? Last year he started the season in the 240s and was down to the 230s a quarter way through the year. He has a better shot with staying another year and putting on some weight to get in the 260lbs range. He has the frame to carry it, and he is still a young player ( never took a redshirt). If he's not guaranteed to be drafted than don't go early.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Definitely a chance. We'll see how the season goes but I had been thinking about this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
W-Y, Until I Die!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am Karl Granderson averaged a sack a game before he went down last year, facing double teams almost every down. This year he has the added benefit of 2 d tackles that can generate interior rush...
He had 4 sacks in 6 games (still very solid stats but not a 1 sack per game average). This was also against the easier part of our schedule (sans Nebraska).
And after Abbleby went down, we basically had zero interior rush. Although it's hard to fault those guys because they needed to be in there for basically every snap.

Will our new DC help these guys play better as a unit? I sure hope so. Can Granderson develop into an NFL talent? Absolutely. But let's not pretend like he's set up to take the CFB world by storm.

I think he'll have a monster year and could easily reach double digit sacks, though. Definitely a good chance at 1st team all-mw. There will be more eyes on our team this year because of Josh Allen, which will definitely help him as well in this regard.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:46 pm
Cowboy Junky wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 am Karl Granderson averaged a sack a game before he went down last year, facing double teams almost every down. This year he has the added benefit of 2 d tackles that can generate interior rush...
He had 4 sacks in 6 games (still very solid stats but not a 1 sack per game average). This was also against the easier part of our schedule (sans Nebraska).
And after Abbleby went down, we basically had zero interior rush. Although it's hard to fault those guys because they needed to be in there for basically every snap.

Will our new DC help these guys play better as a unit? I sure hope so. Can Granderson develop into an NFL talent? Absolutely. But let's not pretend like he's set up to take the CFB world by storm.

I think he'll have a monster year and could easily reach double digit sacks, though. Definitely a good chance at 1st team all-mw. There will be more eyes on our team this year because of Josh Allen, which will definitely help him as well in this regard.
I should have said about a sack a game, because I was too lazy to look it up. :)

The good news: this thread will still be here when the seasons over.

I think any 6'5" defensive end, with that speed and athleticism is set up to take the CFB world by storm, hence the term: prototypical NFL size, speed, and strength(he could use a little more of that).

We'll see. I'm thinking he's going to have a monster year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm kind of skeptical that he's going to be successful enough to be that high on anybody's radar. Yes, he'll have more exposure than he would've had without Allen on the team, but I think it'll be difficult for him to stand out enough to go as an underager.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Speed and size are the perfect ingredients for a prototypical NFL DE. If you look at the past DE's in college, a lot of them have come out of the south. Jevon Kearse was a beast. Fast and tall. Eddie Yarborough was a great player for UW, but just a yay bit short and not as fast as Granderson. I think we have a top 10-15 dline with Granderson, Prosser, Sid and Ghaifan. I'm super impressed with how Ghaifan matured throughout the year. Two big, strong and mobile guys in the middle to plug some holes, two speed defensive ends that can pass rush, pressure the QB and help with off tackle rushing and we are in great hands. The linebacking Corps has Wilson, but lost May and Wacha. This is the question mark as well as Pass D. The really nice thing is having a guy like Wingard. He's like having both a safety and a middle linebacker. I see him leaving early and cashing a very nice check, maybe even a 2nd round one. I was rewatching highlights from last year, and after Wilson picked the ball off, he cruised past him like he was standing still, and we all know Logan has wheels. Can't wait for Sept! (But my wife can). She will lose me for the fall! :)
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Lets pump those brakes. He's good, but not good enough to leave early. He actually would have benefited from a redshirt year because of how skinny he was.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

It's possible, but not likely
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo