Shyatt retirement rumors...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I'm too cheap to pay for that other message board, but my brother says there's a rumor floating around that Shyatt will announce his retirement this week. Anybody here hearing that?
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I don't think he will retire until a point where he could hand the team over to his son and nobody would question it. Retire right now and Wyoming would have to go out at find a coach.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Retire? Now? After last years long drawn out contract negotiation? Why would he do that?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Cup started the rumor. You ask why would he? Well many of us have expressed serious concerns about the talent level of our roster and I believe we are looking at a similar if not worse season next year barring some unforeseen giant leap in talent or immediate impact player. I imagine there's no one more aware of that than Shyatt himself. Maybe he figures why not ride off into the sunset now while the memory of last year is still pretty fresh, rather than go through another long, difficult season minus Josh Adams and an increasingly restless fan base.

Now I have no idea if any of this is true, but you asked why would he and that to me seems like a plausible answer as to why he would consider it.
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

On the one hand, I hear TheCup is well-connected and I consider him the most entertaining poster in the history of THAT message board.

On the other hand, because it's a message board, he's prone to hyperbole and likes pushing buttons (entertaining...) so I don't know what to think.

It would fit nicely with the general pattern of waiting at least 10 years between NCAA appearances, generally.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

kansasCowboy wrote:Retire? Now? After last years long drawn out contract negotiation? Why would he do that?
Last years contract negotiations were all about getting the assistants better salary. Larry didn't get a raise.

Also, I tried to get the rumor started during the USU game, but no one took the bait. I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Highly doubt it, unless he's totally tired of it all, and from the talk of the MWC tourney change and such, i don't see him ready to hand it off to others yet....
TheCup
Ranch Hand

I can tell you it's not just a rumor but it's also not quite 100% either.

Sometimes I troll people when real life gets too boring but this isn't one of those times. I was just trying to crowd source some information.

From what I've heard from people close to the department and the program is that it is about 50/50 right now whether he retires or not.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

After listening to Shyatt's postgame comments following the Utah State loss that he just has to "remember the good times" (or something to that effect), I thought to myself wow that is a strange comment for a coach that would be returning.

It wouldn't shock me given his age and all of the off the court issues this season. At some point, the stress just doesn't seem worth it.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 1 time

TheCup wrote:I can tell you it's not just a rumor but it's also not quite 100% either.

Sometimes I troll people when real life gets too boring but this isn't one of those times. I was just trying to crowd source some information.

From what I've heard from people close to the department and the program is that it is about 50/50 right now whether he retires or not.
I am hearing these rumblings as well.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

TheCup wrote:I can tell you it's not just a rumor but it's also not quite 100% either.

Cup -

Is there a main reason he is considering retirement? Is it the rash of players who would rather 420 than play basketball or some other reasons? What are you hearing? Feel free to PM me if it's too sensitive...
Last edited by Wicks on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

If this is true, he needs to get his ass in gear and get it over with. I will really be pissed if he "hims-and-haws" around and wastes a bunch of time that we could be looking for a new coach. If you're leaving, leave. IF you're staying, get to work and find us a transfer big.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Rumors of him leaving or retiring are getting freaking old. If he's going to leave I wish he would or say definitively he's going to be here for five more. If it's going to be this bullcrap over and over I'd rather just not deal with it and get someone that wants the job. :twocents:
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:Rumors of him leaving or retiring are getting freaking old. If he's going to leave I wish he would or say definitively he's going to be here for five more. If it's going to be this bullcrap over ... he job[/b]. :twocents:
You are assuming Shyatt is starting these rumors. Rumors can be started by anyone....like you suggesting he doesn't want the job.

I'm pretty sure if he retires, he retires and doesn't go elsewhere. And if he does retire, I hope they give Allen Edwards a big look. But again, this is if all the rumors are in fact true.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

I haven't heard any reasons so anything I put out there would just be a wild assed guess.

With that disclaimer I am inferring that it's simply a mix of age and desire for a firm succession plan for his assistants.

I also don't think people understand how close Shyatt was to jumping to the NBA last season. If it hadn't been Josh's senior year I think he would have been gone. The Board of Trustees did us absolutely no favors by dragging out the contract extension process last year and by fighting the effort by Shyatt to formalize the succession plan for his assistants.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Rumors of him leaving or retiring are getting freaking old. If he's going to leave I wish he would or say definitively he's going to be here for five more. If it's going to be this bullcrap over ... he job[/b]. :twocents:
You are assuming Shyatt is starting these rumors. Rumors can be started by anyone....like you suggesting he doesn't want the job.

I'm pretty sure if he retires, he retires and doesn't go elsewhere. And if he does retire, I hope they give Allen Edwards a big look. But again, this is if all the rumors are in fact true.
It doesn't seem like he's all that enthusiastic about the job. He almost left last summer and now this? I agree about Edwards. I would love to see what he could do as a head coach.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: It doesn't seem like he's all that enthusiastic about the job. He almost left last summer and now this?
That's not quite fair. Shyatt has many, many close friends in the NBA. One of them offered him a very unique, highly-paid opportunity. Shyatt would have been crazy to not consider it.

Especially at a time when the Board of Trustees was turning what should have been a very simple contract extension into a complete f-word. Shyatt didn't even want a goddamn raise for himself - it was simply about $200,000 worth of security for his assistants in the form of one-time severance payments if they weren't retained whenever he retired.

Put yourself in Shyatt's shoes and ask yourself just how enthusiastic the university appears to be about keeping you around. They reduced the scope and then delayed the completion of the A-A for almost two years so they could throw ANOTHER $45 million at football facilities. They took months and months to complete a simple contract extension that in the past for coaches like Schroyer and Christensen were finished in a matter of days.

At the same time, UW has academic transfer requirements that continue to f-word up our recruiting. Wonder why we have such a hard time bringing in an occasional JUCO or fifth-year graduate transfer? Look at our academic transfer criteria versus peer schools like Boise, SDSU and CSU. This has been a constant point of attention from our football and basketball staffs for multiple years and it still hasn't been fixed.
Wicks
Blog Team
Been liked: 2 times

Supposedly, the transfer rules are being worked on and the athletic department acknowledges that they are a problem. I am not sure of the current status of the progress so far.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

Shyatt has earned the right to take whatever time he needs to make his decision (if there is one to make). Shyatt came in and resurrected the program. It is insane to believe that there would be better options for coaching Wyoming basketball at this point in time.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:If this is true, he needs to get his ass in gear and get it over with. I will really be pissed if he "hims-and-haws" around and wastes a bunch of time that we could be looking for a new coach. If you're leaving, leave. IF you're staying, get to work and find us a transfer big.
I like this post!! Well stated. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...