Biggest wins in program history

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 116 times

This question was posted on mwc board, and I thought I'd bring it up here. What are the top 10 biggest wins in Wyoming football history? I'd like to hear from the board historians in particular. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. #12 Wyoming vs. #18 Washington & Lee - 1951 Gator Bowl - Capping off one of the best season in Wyoming history

2. #16 Wyoming vs. Hawaii - 1988 - Iced the WAC championship

3. Wyoming vs. UCLA - 2004 Las Vegas Bowl - We weren't expected to even put up a fight. Not a huge win rankings wise, but garnered national attention.

4. Wyoming vs. BYU - 1999 - BYU was thumping their chests about needing to be ranked, so we destroyed them. Would have looked much better if Hawaii didn't wipe the floor with them the next week.

Sadly that's all I've got. Looking back through the years we've got a lot of 1994 vs. Nebraska games; close but no cigar.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 47 times

WYO1016 wrote:2. #16 Wyoming vs. Hawaii - 1988 - Iced the WAC championship
Wrong!!!! We beat UTEP, 52-6, at home on National T.V. (CBS) to clinch the WAC Championship. The win over Hawaii two weeks later (28-20 in Honolulu) just gave us our second straight 8-0 mark in conference play.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:2. #16 Wyoming vs. Hawaii - 1988 - Iced the WAC championship
Wrong!!!! We beat UTEP, 52-6, at home on National T.V. (CBS) to clinch the WAC Championship. The win over Hawaii two weeks later (28-20 in Honolulu) just gave us our second straight 8-0 mark in conference play.
I stand corrected!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Beating Tennessee in Knoxville. The only non bcs team to beat the Vols on their home turf in over 20 or 30 years.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

JimmyDimes wrote:Beating Tennessee in Knoxville. The only non bcs team to beat the Vols on their home turf in over 20 or 30 years.
AND on their Homecoming. :rofl: :rofl:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:Beating Tennessee in Knoxville. The only non bcs team to beat the Vols on their home turf in over 20 or 30 years.
The game that got Phil Fullmer fired!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WYO1016 wrote:
The game that got Phil Fulmer fired!
Actually he was fired the week before our game.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Damn, remembering #3 has me wondering how the Glenn era went wrong. You couldn't convince any Cowboy fan that Glenn was headed for anything but greatness after that game.

WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Damn, remembering #3 has me wondering how the Glenn era went wrong. You couldn't convince any Cowboy fan that Glenn was headed for anything but greatness after that game.

Hell, you couldn't convince anyone in the country! If only Joe had been able to recruit a QB.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 131 times

Wow, when you put it like this...well, let's just say that perhaps instead of worrying about "restoring" UW football maybe we should worry about "establishing" WYO football.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Wow, when you put it like this...well, let's just say that perhaps instead of worrying about "restoring" UW football maybe we should worry about "establishing" WYO football.
I understand the sentiment considering where this program has been the past 15 years. But, let's not sale the history of Wyoming football short. For being a small market school, Wyoming has finished ranked 8 times (more than any current MWC school...except Boise may have tied or passed us). Wyoming has played in new year day bowls....before bowls were a dime a dozen. The last 15 or so years has put a bad taste in many fans mouth....but this program has had success.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Ohhhh...........1999, it takes me back.

I went to Provo to watch the Zoobs play Air Force because a kid I knew from HS was playing for AFA. I was wearing my UW gear while at the game. I got razzed the entire time. While in the tunnel when I was leaving, I was hearing all kinds of sheep and incest jokes from the BYU faithful. The exact quote from one douche was, "Tell your cousin, err... I mean your wife, Ginger hi from me and we will see you in two weeks." Then, I went to a restaurant in Provo that night and the mascot happened to show up there. I had a new white UW ballcap on. Cosmo came and took my hat, threw it on the floor and stepped on it. It left a huge dirt stain. I put my hand up the back of the mascot head and grabbed the back of the neck of the person (I hope it was a dude thinking back) and got in his face and told him (and others within earshot) what an embarrassment BYU was to members of the LDS church and how the entire place should be ashamed of themselves. I immediately left my food and asked for my ticket. The manager came out and apologized (was way cool guy actually), apologized over and over and didn't charge us for anything.

THEN...........two weeks later I drove out to Laramie and watched the Pokes curbstomp those buttholes. Gosh I wish I could have seen that idiot from the Provo tunnel that day. Stoner and Wendell Montgomery were all over them. I still have that ticket stub, and when I was on an LDS mission a year later, I would bust that ticket stub out of my wallet and remind all of the BYU homers around me of Nov 13, 1999.

Honestly, I think that year made my minor annoyance with BYU turn in to animosity.

Wow, that escalated quickly. I feel much better now.

"Wyoming upset No. 12 BYU, 31-17, Saturday night using a gimmick spread offense and a swarming blitz which caused several of the 26,038 fans to tear down the goal posts." http://byucougars.com/m-football/wyomin ... -torn-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://byucougars.com/m-football/wyomin ... -torn-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 131 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Wow, when you put it like this...well, let's just say that perhaps instead of worrying about "restoring" UW football maybe we should worry about "establishing" WYO football.
I understand the sentiment considering where this program has been the past 15 years. But, let's not sale the history of Wyoming football short. For being a small market school, Wyoming has finished ranked 8 times (more than any current MWC school...except Boise may have tied or passed us). Wyoming has played in new year day bowls....before bowls were a dime a dozen. The last 15 or so years has put a bad taste in many fans mouth....but this program has had success.
Not to be Debbie Downer, but comparing pre-BCS era football to today is largely irrelevant. At very minimum, if an ivy league team was also participating (and was likely very good) in your division, that history doesn't really count (they left "FBS" in 1982--I think).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Landiegopoke
Ranch Hand

djm19 wrote:Ohhhh...........1999, it takes me back.

I went to Provo to watch the Zoobs play Air Force because a kid I knew from HS was playing for AFA. I was wearing my UW gear while at the game. I got razzed the entire time. While in the tunnel when I was leaving, I was hearing all kinds of sheep and incest jokes from the BYU faithful. The exact quote from one douche was, "Tell your cousin, err... I mean your wife, Ginger hi from me and we will see you in two weeks." Then, I went to a restaurant in Provo that night and the mascot happened to show up there. I had a new white UW ballcap on. Cosmo came and took my hat, threw it on the floor and stepped on it. It left a huge dirt stain. I put my hand up the back of the mascot head and grabbed the back of the neck of the person (I hope it was a dude thinking back) and got in his face and told him (and others within earshot) what an embarrassment BYU was to members of the LDS church and how the entire place should be ashamed of themselves. I immediately left my food and asked for my ticket. The manager came out and apologized (was way cool guy actually), apologized over and over and didn't charge us for anything.

THEN...........two weeks later I drove out to Laramie and watched the Pokes curbstomp those buttholes. Gosh I wish I could have seen that idiot from the Provo tunnel that day. Stoner and Wendell Montgomery were all over them. I still have that ticket stub, and when I was on an LDS mission a year later, I would bust that ticket stub out of my wallet and remind all of the BYU homers around me of Nov 13, 1999.

Honestly, I think that year made my minor annoyance with BYU turn in to animosity.

"Wyoming upset No. 12 BYU, 31-17, Saturday night using a gimmick spread offense and a swarming blitz which caused several of the 26,038 fans to tear down the goal posts." http://byucougars.com/m-football/wyomin ... -torn-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://byucougars.com/m-football/wyomin ... -torn-down" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry Dude I think you might have caught a little blow back Karma from me being a Kolas-sol Asshole and Pissing Off about 5000 BYU fans in 87 when Wyoming Scored 29 points in the third quarter and two minutes in the fourth quarter and then held on for a two point win on the Zoobs Homecoming
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Not to be Debbie Downer, but comparing pre-BCS era football to today is largely irrelevant. At very minimum, if an ivy league team was also participating (and was likely very good) in your division, that history doesn't really count (they left "FBS" in 1982--I think).
Nope. According to BYU fans, you're allowed to brag about things that happened in 1984 like they happened yesterday.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

We shall never forget 1943....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

djm19 wrote:Ohhhh...........1999, it takes me back.

This made me laugh. Thanks for posting
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 155 times

Their writers always sound like douches. "Gimmick" and "several of the 26,000". What pompous assholes
W-Y, Until I Die!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Didn't we beat a highly ranked Arizona State team in Laramie one time in the early 70s?
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

djm19 wrote:THEN...........two weeks later I drove out to Laramie and watched the Pokes curbstomp those buttholes. Gosh I wish I could have seen that idiot from the Provo tunnel that day. Stoner and Wendell Montgomery were all over them. I still have that ticket stub, and when I was on an LDS mission a year later, I would bust that ticket stub out of my wallet and remind all of the BYU homers around me of Nov 13, 1999.
That was a perfect night. The weather, particularly for November was awesome, big beautiful full moon and the Pokes kicking ass over a ranked hated rival. Someone was selling pewter souvenirs celebrating the 50th season of WMS and I ordered one. It was to have the score engraved on it and sent out after the game. I purchased mine before the game even started so I had no idea how it was going to turn out. When it came in the mail, they sent one of everything instead of whatever it was I picked. Still have those somewhere score engraved and all.