Shyatt retirement rumors...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

The only point I was trying to make was that McClain didn't coach during some sort of Golden-Age of the MWC. It is extremely hard to compare teams during different eras but by the comparasions that do exist (RPI, # of teams in tourney) the MW in the early 2000's and the MW today are very similar. Now that I'm thinking about it in my mind Schroyer probably played in the best MWC. The year that Jimmer was a senior and BYU and SDSU went to the sweet 16 and were both top 15(?) teams.
The college game has changed a lot in the last 15 years so it makes it very hard to compare teams from them. No doubt McClain had more success in his first 5 years than Shyatt has had but I believe Shyatt will have more success moving forward.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

TSpoke wrote:The only point I was trying to make was that McClain didn't coach during some sort of Golden-Age of the MWC. It is extremely hard to compare teams during different eras but by the comparasions that do exist (RPI, # of teams in tourney) the MW in the early 2000's and the MW today are very similar. Now that I'm thinking about it in my mind Schroyer probably played in the best MWC. The year that Jimmer was a senior and BYU and SDSU went to the sweet 16 and were both top 15(?) teams.
The college game has changed a lot in the last 15 years so it makes it very hard to compare teams from them. No doubt McClain had more success in his first 5 years than Shyatt has had but I believe Shyatt will have more success moving forward.
I would argue that the MWC was far better then than now, just based on who was in the conference. Utah and BYU were far stronger programs than what has come in since. Nevada, San Jose State, and Fresno st. add nothing to the conference as far as BB goes. Also, Air force was a much better program then.

Just giving it the eye test as a fan who's watched since the Bill Garnett and Tubb Bradley days, the competition level in the MWC is lowest I've ever seen it. The conference champion, Fresno State, would have been a sub 500 level team in the 2000 mountain west.

I do think Shyatt can turn it around. But without knowing how the next recruiting class and redshirts turn out, we have a talent level that is right near the bottom of the conference. I'm not even saying he should leave. But with these rumors swirling around, he needs to come out and state he's in this for the long haul and retirement is a long ways away.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Sounds like it is going down today.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Man, I REALLY hope that's not the case. Larry Shyatt is a fantastic coach. Losing him would hurt.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 1 time

WYO1016 wrote:Man, I REALLY hope that's not the case. Larry Shyatt is a fantastic coach. Losing him would hurt.
Start preparing for the loss.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 626 times
Been liked: 260 times

Well this sucks
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Couple press conferences scheduled today, not a good sign.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Now reality hits.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

I find it difficult to think we would let our assistants go by hiring from outside, but who knows.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

PokeOLoco wrote:Couple press conferences scheduled today, not a good sign.
Not good.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I wonder if Coach Shyatt will have some choice words for our MWC leaders.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:I wonder if Coach Shyatt will have some choice words for our MWC leaders.
I could actually see this presser as just that. Sticking up for his players (Adams) and saying your leadership is BS.

I could just as easily see him retiring. Either way I will be eagerly awaiting. I really don't want him to leave
oldtimer
Buckaroo

Hope these rumors are false!!!!!! Talked to someone in Laramie this morning who is close with Parker Stewart and his family. Word is that we are DEFINITELY the front runner for Parker as long as Larry is the head coach. This is coming from a VERY good source. Larry leaving would be a disaster!!!!!!!!!
GOWYO
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Date: March 21, 2016 8:00:33 AM MDT

Subject: University of Wyoming Athletics to Conduct Two Press Conferences This Afternoon

To: Media Covering University of Wyoming Athletics
Date: Monday, March 21, 2016
Re: Press Conferences Today

University of Wyoming Athletics will be conducting two press conferences today:
1. One at 3 p.m. in the 7,220 Room in the Arena-Auditorium, and;
2. A second press conference at 4 p.m. in the Wildcatter Stadium Club & Suites. Media will want to be in attendance for two important announcements.

Tim Harkins
Associate Athletics Director for Media Relations,
Public Relations and Broadcasting
University of Wyoming Athletics
Dept. 3414, 1000 E. University Avenue│Laramie, Wyoming 82071
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Could be talking about Phase II for the AA and The High Altitude Training Center for football. Or, maybe it will be Bryce Meredith Day. Could be a number of things.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

oldtimer wrote:Hope these rumors are false!!!!!! Talked to someone in Laramie this morning who is close with Parker Stewart and his family. Word is that we are DEFINITELY the front runner for Parker as long as Larry is the head coach. This is coming from a VERY good source. Larry leaving would be a disaster!!!!!!!!!
If this is true....keep Allen Edwards on as head coach. He is a young up and comer and hopefully wouldn't miss a beat on the recruiting front.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

It doesn't necessarily have to be bad news. I'm going to take a wait and see approach and hope it is something positive for all of the athletic programs at UW (I'm hoping they rename the AA the Kenny Sailors Arena).
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

If this is true....keep Allen Edwards on as head coach. He is a young up and comer and hopefully wouldn't miss a beat on the recruiting front.
Your wish is granted.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Edwards, and he hires Parker Stewart's dad to take his place as a top level recruiter with Duncan. I could dig that.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

SnowyRange wrote:
Your wish is granted.
Yeah. This is why Shyatt negotiated for the assistants last year because he knew this was coming.

Allen Edwards is your new Head basketball coach.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….