WSU @ Wyo game thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 pm Here's what frustrates me... Watch that second quarter... That was done good football... Much too inconsistent.
We also stopped running up the middle every first and second down in the second quarter. Then we went back to "conservative" in the third. Except when it doesn't work, is it actually being careful?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:32 pm Of course, it doesn’t help to have an offensive penalty on every series
So true
specialteamsguru
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times

The Vigen experiment should be shelved...play calling is too predictable for the FBS level. Adjustments under fire, during the game, are mostly non existent or desperate. It's arrogant behavior....Evidence of player development has to be shown on game day. If tvw can't be trusted run the whole offense, maybe the job should be shared.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

We legit had a chance to win this game. We really did. But the numerous penalties and Vigen being Vigen, ended any chance for that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Refs sucked, hardly ever in our favor. How was it not targeting when they KO'd our TE?

Defense played well enough to win, but yeah, the playcalling. I was very disappointed with the D line. I've never seen anyone bottle up our pass rush like that. wow. Maybe their O line is amazing? Never seen Grsnderson and Ghiffan be contained like that. The only pressure we got was when we blitzed.

We missed caashh real bad. Tyler Hall is a player, wow. Can you say NFL?

What a frustrating loss. I definitely don't feel like they had better players. Just better offensive coaches.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

This game hurt but if you have trouble stomaching painful losses I'd advise staying away from scoring updates next week because we're going to get taken to the wood shed by Missouri.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 249 times

Two glaring issues from the game:

1) The D-line got little to no pressure all game. How can you have two NFL talents and get no pressure is beyond me. Hazelton needed to dial up the blitz because rushing 4 wasn’t working.

2) Play calling was way too predictable. So many times play action would have resulted in big plays but instead we went with the first down Evans for 2 yards.

3) A minor point that irritates me so much. We are down 2 scores and there are 5 minutes left. Bohl elects to punt. To me this is quitting on your players and is the same crap that Dave Christensen would do. With 5 minutes left, 2 scores while unlikely is still possible. Who gives a poop if the final score is worse because you went for it, wins and losses is the only meaningful stat in my book.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 71 times

Great atmosphere today. Fans really into it and loud. So I'm going to agree with Landerpoke at least for this game. As others have posted, play calling is vanilla and so run oriented that no qb can thrive in a system like this. If you only throw on obvious throwing downs......well, the results speak for themselves.

This is really looking like Joe Glenn 2.0. Receivers are easy to cover and as a result, Washington st. safeties don't even bother playing deep. But even if our receivers could get open (which they can't), our Oline can't protect long enough for a deep route to develop. Pretty hard to throw short routes when the entire defense cheats up all the time. Would a different OC make things better? I really don't know. But I know this, our defense is going to wear out and get demoralized when the offense has no potential to make big plays in the passing game.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

1) Bohn (and company) got out coached 2nd half
2) Evans would have made a big difference
3) WSU could have easily run up a bigger score by going to receiver covered by C.J Coldon (21) every time. Isn't there a replacement for him?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The biggest disappointment this year will be an amazing defense that is overshadowed by a pathetic offense.

Seems we're going to start games In the most predictable fashion possible and go down by at least 1-2 scores then play catch up until the defense is worn out and can no longer stop the opposing team at which point they will run the score up.