UW Block Grant Budget Amendment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:13 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:47 pm In recent news:
-Black 14 end their academic relationship with Wyoming. Formally co-hosted a summer institute with the University.
-Wyoming eliminates DEI office.
I hate to see UW's reputation take another hit like this.
I don’t believe it’s going to play out well at all. Probably be viewed as the South of the Rockies states from the outside. But maybe this is what some in the legislature actually want.

I do believe the office could likely have used restructuring. But this is the result when the legislature believes it ought to dictate education.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 327 times
Been liked: 138 times

-Black 14 end their academic relationship with Wyoming. Formally co-hosted a summer institute with the University.
Glad to see the DEI office gone.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 155 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:11 pm
Correct, anyone who works for a corporate overlord knows the poop training that comes down the line from these offices. Everyone rolls their eyes. It’s much like our government where 70% of the people dont agree with sending money to Ukraine but here we are bankrupting the country. It’s amazing how they dont even flinching about billions upon billions being spent. Billion is the new million and trillion is turning into the new billion
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:39 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:11 pm

Correct, anyone who works for a corporate overlord knows the poop training that comes down the line from these offices. Everyone rolls their eyes. It’s much like our government where 70% of the people dont agree with sending money to Ukraine but here we are bankrupting the country. It’s amazing how they dont even flinching about billions upon billions being spent. Billion is the new million and trillion is turning into the new billion
These initiatives go way to far like Affirmative Action.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 253 times

IDK, I appreciate the reconciliation that happened with the Black 14 and UW, and I think it's bad what happened to them and the story has sort of a happy ending, but I do get tired of hearing how racist I am all the time just for being a white male that resides in Wyoming. It's been beaten to death and I'm tired of hearing about it, frankly speaking. IMO these DEI people just get together and contrive problems. We don't need an annual symposium rehashing the thing over and over and over again.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am IDK, I appreciate the reconciliation that happened with the Black 14 and UW, and I think it's bad what happened to them and the story has sort of a happy ending, but I do get tired of hearing how racist I am all the time just for being a white male that resides in Wyoming. It's been beaten to death and I'm tired of hearing about it, frankly speaking. IMO these DEI people just get together and contrive problems. We don't need an annual symposium rehashing the thing over and over and over again.
It is just affirmative action all over again. And what a better way to divide a country, eh? We don't need further separation is this mess of a country...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:56 am IDK, I appreciate the reconciliation that happened with the Black 14 and UW, and I think it's bad what happened to them and the story has sort of a happy ending, but I do get tired of hearing how racist I am all the time just for being a white male that resides in Wyoming. It's been beaten to death and I'm tired of hearing about it, frankly speaking. IMO these DEI people just get together and contrive problems. We don't need an annual symposium rehashing the thing over and over and over again.
I was still in junior high when the Black !4 happened. It was devastating as a young Cowboys fan. Overnight Wyoming went from a legitimate top 10 team to having only one winning season in next 10 years. I often wonder how differently things would have turned out if Eaton simply let them wear the black arm bands?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 am
I was still in junior high when the Black !4 happened. It was devastating as a young Cowboys fan. Overnight Wyoming went from a legitimate top 10 team to having only one winning season in next 10 years. I often wonder how differently things would have turned out if Eaton simply let them wear the black arm bands?
If he allowed that, the WAC woulda been pissed. But assuming nothing else after he allows it, I honestly think Wyoming woulda been as successful or better than Boise has been in the last, what?, 20-25 years!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 15 times

It's not a good look, and appearances matter.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 57 times

Texas also passed a law banning DEI departments/initiatives at public universities in the state. At UT Austin, a much more liberal university than UW, they actually saw an increase in applications the year after the law was passed. That appears mostly to be from a bump in applications from students in more rural/conservative counties in Texas.

The same might happen at UW, but instead from rural/conservative areas in Colorado who feel CU and CSU are "too liberal".
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Well said Lander. I’m in 💯 agreement. I hear about white privilege and I ask what can I have or do that a minority can’t? Critical race theory……just perpetuates racism. The belief that whites are the only racist. BS, what is antisemitism. DEI has done a lot for antisemitism- hasn’t it!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

While I totally agree that racism is not unique to white people, and that a lot of the things the far left pushes is ridiculous, listening to some of you guys whine about how "they can't get over it" makes me think that if you were in "their" shoes, you probably wouldn't have gotten over it yet either. And seeing as how so many of you guys see a boogeyman with a master plan behind every corner, it shouldn't be that surprising that "they" see a racist. Human nature to give in to fearmongering I guess.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

bullbugle307 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:17 pm While I totally agree that racism is not unique to white people, and that a lot of the things the far left pushes is ridiculous, listening to some of you guys whine about how "they can't get over it" makes me think that if you were in "their" shoes, you probably wouldn't have gotten over it yet either. And seeing as how so many of you guys see a boogeyman with a master plan behind every corner, it shouldn't be that surprising that "they" see a racist. Human nature to give in to fearmongering I guess.

LOL We as a species have been this way for thousands and thousands of years. It aint going to change for the better anytime soon.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

bullbugle307 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:17 pm While I totally agree that racism is not unique to white people, and that a lot of the things the far left pushes is ridiculous, listening to some of you guys whine about how "they can't get over it" makes me think that if you were in "their" shoes, you probably wouldn't have gotten over it yet either. And seeing as how so many of you guys see a boogeyman with a master plan behind every corner, it shouldn't be that surprising that "they" see a racist. Human nature to give in to fearmongering I guess.
This is such BS. History is history and can’t be changed (no matter how many statues are torn down). Yes we had slavery, by the way blacks owned slaves……what! yes it’s true! How can that be!

How come we never hear about how poorly Asians were treated in the whole reparations argument? Chinese were treated poorly and used as slave labor. We have some bad history. No fear mongering. I’m just tired of hearing how tax dollars I pay will fix everything, if we pay blacks who were never slaves! I never owned a slave! Shouldnt we pay Jews who had family killed by the Nazis? This needs to stop or it will continually perpetuate. Affirmative action was a total crock, and harmed again……Asians. Glad the scotus saw that. You can’t repair history, with money, or allowing those with lower grades granted access at colleges over those with higher grades because of their…… race. Isn’t that in fact racism? Oh wait, no! It can’t be because you can be racist to anyone but…….white people. BS!!! Jesse Smollett. We can’t change history of how people were treated by throwing an infinity trillion $$ at it. Because it will never be enough, because the people were paying will never stop.

DEI is nothing but a means to perpetuate it, virtue signaling. It doesn’t work.

We’re perpetuating it, and becoming more racist as a society because of it. Money won’t change history. Tearing down statues won’t fix it. Taking the Holocaust out of text books and denying it happened (oh yes there were “whites” killed because of their race) won’t fix it. It needs to stop!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 126 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:22 am This is such BS. History is history and can’t be changed (no matter how many statues are torn down). Yes we had slavery, by the way blacks owned slaves……what! yes it’s true! How can that be!

How come we never hear about how poorly Asians were treated in the whole reparations argument? Chinese were treated poorly and used as slave labor. We have some bad history. No fear mongering. I’m just tired of hearing how tax dollars I pay will fix everything, if we pay blacks who were never slaves! I never owned a slave! Shouldnt we pay Jews who had family killed by the Nazis? This needs to stop or it will continually perpetuate. Affirmative action was a total crock, and harmed again……Asians. Glad the scotus saw that. You can’t repair history, with money, or allowing those with lower grades granted access at colleges over those with higher grades because of their…… race. Isn’t that in fact racism? Oh wait, no! It can’t be because you can be racist to anyone but…….white people. BS!!! Jesse Smollett. We can’t change history of how people were treated by throwing an infinity trillion $$ at it. Because it will never be enough, because the people were paying will never stop.

We’re perpetuating it, and becoming more racist as a society because of it. Money won’t change history. Tearing down statues won’t fix it. Taking the Holocaust out of text books and denying it happened (oh yes there were “whites” killed because of their race) won’t fix it. It needs to stop!
Solid post, and 100% in agreement with you.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:51 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:22 am This is such BS. History is history and can’t be changed (no matter how many statues are torn down). Yes we had slavery, by the way blacks owned slaves……what! yes it’s true! How can that be!

Solid post, and 100% in agreement with you.
Same here. And I have a B. A. in History to boot. Sadly I got the degree at a rinky-dink small university in south central Oklahoma. :roll: