How much longer does the saga continue?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!

How much longer does the saga continue?

Tomorrow, UW will have a football coaching change
No votes
After Hawaii, UW will have a football coaching change
4%
At Season's End, UW will have a football coaching change
63%
UW won't have a football coaching change until Fall of 2014
11%
UW won't have a football coaching change for at least 2 seasons
22%

Total votes: 27
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:For my money, Craig Bohl is the logical successor -- if UW can convince him to come to Laramie.

Bohl's ability to recruit the upper midwest states has been more than impressive, and if he can show the same success in getting kids to come to Wyoming that he has shown in getting kids to go to Fargo -- then I like his chances of doing very well at UW,
Question is.....is he crazy enough to want to work in Laramie?
Well, look it, he would face similar challenges in locale and in remoteness of area, and because of these similar types of environment, and Bohl's success in recruiting and developing talent within such an atmosphere, I think he is the best fit by far for the job.

Bohl would not, I believe, come into the situation thinking that he cannot recruit to Laramie, but rather that he can - and has done so in an area such as a Laramie (although not exactly identical) providing him with the confidence that he can succeed, and allowing the UW administration to feel confident in his abilities.

I would say that Bohl has to be making somewhere in the neighborhood of anywhere from 350-400K per year right now.

If he is looking to double his current salary, I think UW is a great fit for him, and the administration would not need to go as high with compensation as they did with DC.

Lastly, this self-fulfilling prophecy of 'it's impossible to recruit to Laramie', this jive needs to stop immediately.

That's the culture of mediocrity that many of us have deplored here - as well as the philosophy and or mindset of what the 'report' stated just a few short weeks ago.

Besides, does anyone remember what DC said at his press conference upon being introduced?

"I looked at this situation and asked myself if there were any reasons why I could not win here...and I found none."
Last edited by DocHolliday on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:I like Bohn and think we NEED to go after a named coach not an up and coming OC or DC. WE need a head coach.
Bohl is making 200K a year. Offer the guy 800K (Wyoming can do better) and that's already 3 times more his salary. I really think Wyoming can get the guy if they really want to. Enough with coordinators. The successful ones tend to want to leave anyway. I don't think Bohl would use Wyoming as a springboard. JMHO.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:With the total nuclear meltdown of this football program over the last several weeks, with zero in the way of light at the end of the tunnel, I just cannot see any way that the administration at UW can sell the football ticket buying public on another season of Christensen.

This season has been a nightmare beyond the pale of what anyone could have forecast - and although I believe that DC did the best job possible and exhausted all avenues to try and reach a level of consistent success, the results have unfortunately failed to materialize.

Let me make one thing clear. This season is done and over with.

There is no 'salvaging the season.'

The state's highest paid employee has not been able to develop a sustained winning environment during the five (5) years he's been on the job.

His job is to win football games.

He didn't win nearly enough.

Let him finish out the last two games, then do the right thing and then relieve him of his duties on Monday December 2.

For my money, Craig Bohl is the logical successor -- if UW can convince him to come to Laramie.

Bohl's ability to recruit the upper midwest states has been more than impressive, and if he can show the same success in getting kids to come to Wyoming that he has shown in getting kids to go to Fargo -- then I like his chances of doing very well at UW,
What is it with you and FCS coaches? How will our success come from a coach who can recruit down home FCS talent? We've had this before. Glenn was supposed to bring great success from his amazing success and national titles at Montana.
Why not try something that we haven't, which other schools in the MWC have tried and succeeded with, and that's get an already successful coach at a smaller FBS school.
We would be able to afford them, they know how to succeed at this level. The know how to recruit at this level any they know how to win at this level. Examples: Brady Hoke (SDS) and Urban Meyer (Utah). Both program have reaped the benefits while they were at the school and after they've left.

This is directed to Doc, I already know some of your others opinions on this.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:I like Bohn and think we NEED to go after a named coach not an up and coming OC or DC. WE need a head coach.
Bohl is making 200K a year. Offer the guy 800K (Wyoming can do better) and that's already 3 times more his salary. I really think Wyoming can get the guy if they really want to. Enough with coordinators. The successful ones tend to want to leave anyway. I don't think Bohl would use Wyoming as a springboard. JMHO.
Thanks for that info, JRod.

200K?

My goodness, offer him 500K and he's in Laramie tomorrow.

I also like your notion of the springboard thing.

Given his age, I too don't believe that Bohl would use UW as a springboard situation - but one where he would relish the opportunity of a great 8-10 year run and making UW Football relevant and successful again.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

f-word that talk about letting football players in with lower standards.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

kansasCowboy wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:With the total nuclear meltdown of this football program over the last several weeks, with zero in the way of light at the end of the tunnel, I just cannot see any way that the administration at UW can sell the football ticket buying public on another season of Christensen.

This season has been a nightmare beyond the pale of what anyone could have forecast - and although I believe that DC did the best job possible and exhausted all avenues to try and reach a level of consistent success, the results have unfortunately failed to materialize.

The state's highest paid employee has not been able to develop a sustained winning environment during the five (5) years he's been on the job.

Let him finish out the last two games, then do the right thing and then relieve him of his duties on Monday December 2.

For my money, Craig Bohl is the logical successor -- if UW can convince him to come to Laramie.

What is it with you and FCS coaches? How will our success come from a coach who can recruit down home FCS talent? We've had this before. Glenn was supposed to bring great success from his amazing success and national titles at Montana.
Why not try something that we haven't, which other schools in the MWC have tried and succeeded with, and that's get an already successful coach at a smaller FBS school.
We would be able to afford them, they know how to succeed at this level. The know how to recruit at this level any they know how to win at this level. Examples: Brady Hoke (SDS) and Urban Meyer (Utah). Both program have reaped the benefits while they were at the school and after they've left.

KC provide me with some names of some candidates you might be referring to.

I like/love Bohl because of the reasons I have already stated.

We need someone who knows the terrain, and understands the nature of a school in an area like where Wyoming is situated.

The duality in many instances of ND State and Wyoming speak to me very loudly.

I'd ask you not to look at the Joe Glenn tenure and believe it would be the same situation that a guy like Bohl would produce.

Bohl isn't Glenn, and Joe Glenn is not Craig Bohl.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:f-word that talk about letting football players in with lower standards.
Relax Beav...I was making a point about why Bohn can recruit players to ND State.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:f-word that talk about letting football players in with lower standards.
Why not? Even Stanford tweaked their standards to allow for better recruiting.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:

I also like Bohl, and just because Glenn didn't pan out here, we got the top coordinator from a BCS school, and we all know how that is working out, and promoting from within, I don't see anyone on staff that is kicking ass. And it's not reasonable to try to talk about a Mack Brown or anything like that who I think could be fired after this year. Maybe the Ball State guy, I don't know much about him

Damn it's weird to agree so much with Dino
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I actually like Doc's logic here.
x+y=z ; DC as HC = Done.

I don't think Burman is a pussy, and I don't think Christensen has the meat to back up anyone at the Cowboy Bar on a Jack Daniels sort of night. Listen, we don't have the right guy at AD. Say what you want about Jack Graham, but he's the man at CSU backing the program, making the calls, and setting the plan in motion. He has charisma, $, and clout to accomplish the job. We have a used car salesmen, now Burman might be a decent guy- but he's no stud for this job. I use this example as CSU is breaking a trend and building on a promise. But the promise to this point is effective, and the Coach he hired is meeting his end of the equation.

Until we find leadership at President and AD. We have a pipe dream, and carousel of College Coaches trying to get the golden ring. The leadership of this University has to materialize, form a plan, hire the best people and then we can talk about kicking fat ass Dave Christensen to the side of the curb- in the meantime keep flapping your gums and writing poetically. In the end it's all wasted breath. What fool would want to walk in here now, with these conditions?
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Look, I like Justin Wilcox the DC at Washington...the other guy I like a lot is Rob Ambrose and the great work he's done at Towson University outside of Baltimore.

But we need a rock guys, we need a confident and experienced guy who has a proven track record of success (and major success) at a place that one would think it would be impossible to win at - and that is Bohl, and that is ND State.

We need a mature and solid/confident voice to come in here and to clean up this mess.

Additionally think about this.

IF Burman is calling the shots on this next move, one would think its the last move he gets to make.

Does he entrust an unproven/novice head coach to come in and also save his bacon in the process, or is he more inclined to go with an experienced guy who reeks of confidence and accomplishment?

Do the right thing, Tom.

Make Craig Bohl the next head coach at The University Of Wyoming.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

KC provide me with some names of some candidates you might be referring to.

I like/love Bohl because of the reasons I have already stated.

We need someone who knows the terrain, and understands the nature of a school in an area like where Wyoming is situated.

The duality in many instances of ND State and Wyoming speak to me very loudly.

I'd ask you not to look at the Joe Glenn tenure and believe it would be the same situation that a guy like Bohl would produce.

Bohl isn't Glenn, and Joe Glenn is not Craig Bohl.

I will do so, but it will be later tonight. I have some family getting ready to leave. Look for it later.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

How about Michigan States D-Coordinator?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:How about Michigan States D-Coordinator?
Joe Glenn era take two. Great defense, don't know poop about offense.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I like Greg Mattison, BP, but he's 64, I just don't think he fits the profile in terms of what I think UW needs at this point.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

Tell you one thing, that would be a huge change to the entire program. And J-Rod that might be right but its easier to get a couple breaks on offense and win 14-10 than getting stops on defense and still needing the offense to put up 42 minimum, in my opinion
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

http://journalstar.com/sports/football/ ... 0e39a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.argusleader.com/VideoNetwork ... vs-SDSU-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gobison.com/index.aspx?path= ... =football2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Are there any sports guys out there that have graduated from UW that have run a sports team at any point? Someone who might want to come back and take on the AD position? Sort of like Roach did back in the day?
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

wyokoke wrote:
Tell you one thing, that would be a huge change to the entire program. And J-Rod that might be right but its easier to get a couple breaks on offense and win 14-10 than getting stops on defense and still needing the offense to put up 42 minimum, in my opinion

Agreed, I want a defensive mentality first & foremost, especially in a locale such as Laramie.

On days your offense is struggling, your defense can win you a game - or keep you in it.

Defense needs to be a constant, offense is a variable that is more susceptible to uneven fluctuation.

It's time for 'Bohl Ball' in Laramie.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

DocHolliday wrote:
wyokoke wrote:

Agreed, I want a defensive mentality first & foremost, especially in a locale such as Laramie.

On days your offense is struggling, your defense can win you a game - or keep you in it.

Defense needs to be a constant, offense is a variable that is more susceptible to uneven fluctuation.

It's time for 'Bohl Ball' in Laramie.
That's exactly my thinking, if the weather is poop, cold, blizzardy and you rely on the offense only that's gonna be a rough game, chances are.