Smith is gone

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Pretty good summary.
ImageImageImageImage
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Yep. WORST THREAD EVER.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Yeah, wasn't the zone read. It was lack of adjustments when the scripted plays were snuffed out. THe zone read, when done at the right time, can gash a defense pretty well (Easton's 79 yard run for example). But when not done at the right time, the defense will snuff it out before you can get much, if any, positive yards.

And like what's been said, the zone read (read option for NCAA football games) is about the QB reading the DE or OLB (depending on the formation), and that's all. If the DE/OLB stays at home, the QB hands the ball off. If the DE/OLB goes after the RB, the QB keeps it. There are of course several ways to counter it, but when used at the right time, it can be very effective. When used at the wrong time (like the defense knows whats coming), its rarely going to do much, if any, good.

So, its not on Smith, but the lack of adjustments when Fresno figured it out.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:Yeah, wasn't the zone read. It was lack of adjustments when the scripted plays were snuffed out. THe zone read, when done at the right time, can gash a defense pretty well (Easton's 79 yard run for example). But when not done at the right time, the defense will snuff it out before you can get much, if any, positive yards.

And like what's been said, the zone read (read option for NCAA football games) is about the QB reading the DE or OLB (depending on the formation), and that's all. If the DE/OLB stays at home, the QB hands the ball off. If the DE/OLB goes after the RB, the QB keeps it. There are of course several ways to counter it, but when used at the right time, it can be very effective. When used at the wrong time (like the defense knows whats coming), its rarely going to do much, if any, good.

So, its not on Smith, but the lack of adjustments when Fresno figured it out.
when you choose to run and take 5 series of getting stuffed on the run to change to a pass you have no chance of winning. I don't like how frustrated I see the players get when they don't go for it on 4th and 1 either.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So does Christensen not let Smith call plays at the line and make adjustments? When you run the spread as quickly as we do the defense doesn't get the luxury of hiding their scheme. Let Brett read defenses and call plays.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

BeaverPoke wrote:So does Christensen not let Smith call plays at the line and make adjustments? When you run the spread as quickly as we do the defense doesn't get the luxury of hiding their scheme. Let Brett read defenses and call plays.
I would guess that he does, but only a very very small amount of the time.

As I mentioned Brett's lack of success this season (IMO) is all on DC. Hell, when you watch Brett, look at his emotion level compared to the last 2 seasons. Much less / different.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I hate saying this because Brett Smith is the best QB to ever wear the brown & gold (IMO)...but if he can graduate early (either May or the end of summer classes), I think he may be wise to transfer.

Brett Smith has two (2) years left to play one year. He needs a strong year to help his draft stock. If he were to enter the draft this year, I think he goes undrafted. He can transfer without penalty if he can graduate early (i.e. start for another team next year). Bo Pelini is on the record as saying that Brett Smith is better than any other QB he has faced this year. I think Brett Smith could do a lot on a team like Nebraska.

As a Wyoming fan, it would kill me to see Brett Smith leave. As a career advisor, it may be in his best interest.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote:I hate saying this because Brett Smith is the best QB to ever wear the brown & gold (IMO)...but if he can graduate early (either May or the end of summer classes), I think he may be wise to transfer.

Brett Smith has two (2) years left to play one year. He needs a strong year to help his draft stock. If he were to enter the draft this year, I think he goes undrafted. He can transfer without penalty if he can graduate early (i.e. start for another team next year). Bo Pelini is on the record as saying that Brett Smith is better than any other QB he has faced this year. I think Brett Smith could do a lot on a team like Nebraska.

As a Wyoming fan, it would kill me to see Brett Smith leave. As a career advisor, it may be in his best interest.
I would agree 100% with this. Obviously, I want him to stick around, but it might be smart for him to try to transfer somewhere.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Brett is not going anywhere you all are Domesdayers! Lol His NFL Stock is in the crapper and he is not going graduate early, therefore he can't transfer without sitting out a year. Brett will be back next year as will CDC. There will be a huge push to recruit defensive players because most of the pieces are already in place for the offense. The new Defensive Coordinator will be in Place and they will give it one more run next year. If after next year there is not a better outcome then CDC is gone and we will be talking about how we can keep Jayson Thompson in the program...... This is just a feeling though!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Slow Hand wrote:Brett is not going anywhere you all are Domesdayers! Lol His NFL Stock is in the crapper and he is not going graduate early, therefore he can't transfer without sitting out a year. Brett will be back next year as will CDC. There will be a huge push to recruit defensive players because most of the pieces are already in place for the offense. The new Defensive Coordinator will be in Place and they will give it one more run next year. If after next year there is not a better outcome then CDC is gone and we will be talking about how we can keep Jayson Thompson in the program...... This is just a feeling though!
Well assuming Thompson stays next year, he will have been at UW for 3 seasons, and would be a red-shirt junior. It would be pretty dumb for him to leave after Smiths senior year.
Total wasted opportunity.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Slow Hand wrote:Brett is not going anywhere you all are Domesdayers! Lol His NFL Stock is in the crapper and he is not going graduate early, therefore he can't transfer without sitting out a year. Brett will be back next year as will CDC. There will be a huge push to recruit defensive players because most of the pieces are already in place for the offense. The new Defensive Coordinator will be in Place and they will give it one more run next year. If after next year there is not a better outcome then CDC is gone and we will be talking about how we can keep Jayson Thompson in the program...... This is just a feeling though!
A huge push to recruit defensive players, because the offense is in place. Boy, I could have swore I heard this towards the end of last year too. That's worked out really well.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
A huge push to recruit defensive players, because the offense is in place. Boy, I could have swore I heard this towards the end of last year too. That's worked out really well.
Yes indeed I think this was the feeling last year as well. However I am not sure we got er done! Lots of JUCO players which was an attempt to fix the problem quickly......unfortunately I think we will see the same this year because CDC is running out of time and he needs a quick fix. What he should have been doing is recruiting kids that will commit to 5 years and started developing them. Wacha is a good example I think....however I don't think he is a middle LB....more of a SS like Prosinski and Wendling.
RediPoke
Buckaroo

Figured it's an appropriate time to bump this. Sorry to see him go but I'm a fan for life.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

RediPoke wrote:Figured it's an appropriate time to bump this. Sorry to see him go but I'm a fan for life.
You, sir, are a prophet!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
RediPoke wrote:Figured it's an appropriate time to bump this. Sorry to see him go but I'm a fan for life.
You, sir, are a prophet!
You SDPokeFan are still a Stupid Douche Poke Fan.....
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
You, sir, are a prophet!
Ok I get it. But please stop pming me asking me if I want to sit on your lap. That crosses the line.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
You, sir, are a prophet!
Ok I get it. But please stop pming me asking me if I want to sit on your lap. That crosses the line.
When I was in the military during the Vietnam War we had a great way of describing douches like you....the best part of you SDPokeFan, ran down your father's leg. The real issue with douches like you is that you don't get it...until it is too late for you. I have stepped on bugs with more intelligence than you. You wouldn't know a line if your life depended upon it, you just think that you are funny when all along you are pathetic. It sounds like in your house that you are used to sitting on other peoples laps, especially mens.....and I am sure that you would never do anything to anyone that crossed a line with you because as I said earlier you are gutless.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
You, sir, are a prophet!
When I was in the military during the Vietnam War we had a great way of describing douches like you....the best part of you SDPokeFan, ran down your father's leg. The real issue with douches like you is that you don't get it...until it is too late for you. I have stepped on bugs with more intelligence than you. You wouldn't know a line if your life depended upon it, you just think that you are funny when all along you are pathetic. It sounds like in your house that you are used to sitting on other peoples laps, especially mens.....and I am sure that you would never do anything to anyone that crossed a line with you because as I said earlier you are gutless.
Wait a minute, you're old enough to have fought in Vietnam but are calling me names? I figured you were like 14.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
You, sir, are a prophet!
Wait a minute, you're old enough to have fought in Vietnam but are calling me names? I figured you were like 14.
I am calling you what you are....as someone earlier said, sometimes the truth is painful. I have seen people that have courage and character and you have neither.......you didn't have a clue about who I am and you have also no clue about Brett. When it comes to judging people, you are a clueless douche....and your immature taunts make me laugh.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

I'm not sure if Stupid Douche is Lofazz from the MWCboard or any of the 53 arrogant SDSU fans with no athletics history to back up their douchebagedness. Regardless, it's obvious he's not a Wyoming fan.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.